Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at work today talking to a fellow employee who happens to be a Hawks supporter. Anyway we were discussing potential Hawks Vs Swans Grand Final and I said "If Sydney were to win it who would have been the best club in terms off success in the past 11 years?". Well I got bored tonight so this is what I've come up with.

This is of course if Sydney beat Hawthorn in the Grand Final this year and Geelong fail to make finals which is looking like a possibility.

Since 2005 there have been 4 teams that have won Premierships: Sydney (if we win this year), Hawthorn and Geelong with 3 each, Collingwood and West Coast with 1 each.

So basically it's between Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn.

Home and Away:

Between 2005-2014
Sydney - 134 wins, 82 losses, 4 draws, 60.9% win rate
Hawthorn - 136 wins, 83 losses, 1 draw, 61.8%
Geelong - 165 wins, 54 losses, 1 draw, 75%

Obviously this will change at the end of the season but Geelong will have this won regardless.

Finals:

Between 2005-2014
Sydney - 14 wins, 9 losses
Hawthorn - 13 wins, 5 losses
Geelong - 14 wins, 9 losses

Now assuming if Sydney beat Hawthorn in the Grand Final this year and Geelong fail to make finals.

Finals made:
Sydney - 10 out of 11
Hawthorn - 8 out of 11
Geelong - 9 out of 11

Preliminary Finals made:
Sydney - 6
Hawthorn - 6
Geelong - 6

Grand Finals made:
Sydney - 5
Hawthorn - 5
Geelong - 4

Premierships:
Sydney - 3
Hawthorn - 3
Geelong - 3

So if we win this year we have a pretty good case to present about being the best in the last 11 years.

Back to back though?
We did get within a bee's dick in 2006, but overall PVF's conclusions are much the same as I posted back when half our fans were contemplating ending it all and the Hawks were being feted as the greatest team in the universe. Geelong, Sydney & Hawks have been the dominant teams of the past decade or so with little between them.

We did get within a bee's dick in 2006, but overall PVF's conclusions are much the same as I posted back when half our fans were contemplating ending it all and the Hawks were being feted as the greatest team in the universe. Geelong, Sydney & Hawks have been the dominant teams of the past decade or so with little between them.

I agree Sydney win that bloody 96 flag and we can try and join that to the era as well

I agree Sydney win that bloody 96 flag and we can try and join that to the era as well

20 wonderful years as a powerhouse club. Hawks and Geelong were bottom dwellers for most of our first decade of playing finals. Now our next decade beckons.

20 wonderful years as a powerhouse club. Hawks and Geelong were bottom dwellers for most of our first decade of playing finals. Now our next decade beckons.

trouble is we know what some opposition fans would say to that

I had no idea Greg Williams had won a Sydney B&F, til he was interviewed on SEN on Monday. Ignorantly, I just assumed he did.

Healy kept winning them even in his brownlow year from memory

A look at the top ten games played for the Swans is pretty instructive for how great our last 15 years has been in the club's 140 year history. Top 5 after this weekend will be from this most recent era.

365 – Adam Goodes (1999 – current)
325 – Jude Bolton (1999 – 2013)
303 – Michael O’Loughlin (1995 – 2009)
286 – Ryan O’Keefe (2000 – 2014)
260 – Jarrad McVeigh (2004 – current)
260 – John Rantall (1963-72; 1976-79)
251 – Mark Browning (1975 – 1987)
246 – Stephen Wright (1979 – 1992)
246 – Mark Bayes (1985 – 1998)
244 – Darryn Creswell (1992 – 2003)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quick calc of qtrs of 1 goal or less

Carlton 22
Essendon 22
Brisbane 21
Melbourne 20
Gold Coast 19
Stkilda 16
GWS 16
Sydney 15

Fremantle 15
Port 12
Richmond 12
Adelaide 9
Collingwood 9
Geelong 9
North 9
Bulldogs 9
Hawthorn 8
West Coast 6

Quick calc of qtrs of 1 goal or less

Carlton 22
Essendon 22
Brisbane 21
Melbourne 20
Gold Coast 19
Stkilda 16
GWS 16
Sydney 15

Fremantle 15
Port 12
Richmond 12
Adelaide 9
Collingwood 9
Geelong 9
North 9
Bulldogs 9
Hawthorn 8
West Coast 6
Typical Longmire, can't even get to the top of this table.

Dreamteam finals. I have Luke Parker. Did he get injured on the weekend? What are his prospects for this week? Informed Swans info much appreciated, thanks!

Dreamteam finals. I have Luke Parker. Did he get injured on the weekend? What are his prospects for this week? Informed Swans info much appreciated, thanks!
Not injured, prospects are that he will definitely play this week. His scoring potential depends on how much effort he decides to put in.

His prospects for this week? Well, he might go for a run along the beach, hit a cafe perhaps... Prob have team meetings, training etc. Get stalked by vonn ... just the usual week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back