Opinion One Club. One Heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

"I don't want to lose heart! I want to believe, as he does."

Went to the Club 1870 event tonight, and it was fantastic. Everyone spoke well and there was a real sense of pride in the direction the club is heading. But there was something that resonated with me, something that Keith Thomas said, that I feel deserves it's own thread.

"Ben told me, these people get it. They are hardcore supporters," was one of the first things that left the great man's lips. And from what I heard and keep hearing from Casual Keith, he gets it completely. He gave us three examples of how Port Adelaide has fought for the links that tie it back to the community of Port Adelaide, South Australia and Australia when others have either deemed it too hard or approached it with the sole purpose of financial metrics.

How the SANFL decreed that we could no longer have our country zone in the Eyre Peninsula...yet none of the other SANFL clubs want to carry this 'burden' because it's 'too expensive'. Port Adelaide says "We won't abandon you."

How the Crows created a model that they claimed was about maintaining the integrity of the SANFL by using top-up players from other clubs, but now that they are uncompetitive that they want to change the rules that they agreed to - meaning that integrity is only a secondary concern. Port Adelaide says "We will fight to keep the integrity of our club in the competition that we have been a part of for 140 years."

How Adelaide complained to the AFL about how Port Adelaide, who had successfully honored and cherished the memory of all the soldiers who fought in battle for this country for 10 years, was continually 'gifted' an ANZAC round match. Port Adelaide says "It's not about the game. It's about the Port Adelaide supporters, players and support staff who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have today."

"We lost our way for a bit there," said Thomas. "We have 50,000 members because we're getting back to what Port Adelaide is all about."

What is Port Adelaide all about? The slogan is 'We exist to win premierships'. As Tim Ginever said, "Winning is everything. If someone tells you something different, they aren't Port Adelaide." But that motto means more than just holding up a flag or a premiership cup. It means, quite succinctly, that being Port Adelaide means we will excel at everything that we do. It's why one of the first lines of the creed is: "That there is great merit and noble achievement in winning a premiership." That is the highest honor that PAFC, as a football team, can attain.

But as football club, it's more than that. It's about the kid from the Eyre Peninsula who dreams about being an AFL star, who gets developed in our programs and finally gets drafted to a club that may not be Port Adelaide.

It's about supporting the community through programs such as the indigenous academy, with the primary aim of keeping young kids in school.

It's about giving something greater than yourself, not for financial gain, or for what the club thinks they can get out of it in terms of being a 'good corporate citizen', but because it's the right thing to do. I can guarantee you that every decision that AFC makes is weighed against ROI and other metrics.

"You'll never hear one of my staff use the 70/30 (Crows/Power) ratio again. It's bullshit," KT said. It's bullshit because Port Adelaide does more for football and for the community in this state than any other club, regardless of unsubstantiated supporter numbers. We are more passionate, more committed, more loyal, more driven.

Keith Thomas is ******* Port Adelaide. And so are we.

Keith Thomas tonight was something special. I've never been more intent on listening to someone than I was tonight. His speech was remarkable, honest, up front and free from the shackles of the last two decades.

If only "grassrootsfooty" who has been spruiking absolute dribble in the magpies sub forum heard Keith tonight.

My only disappointment was that our fellow die-hard brothers didn't have the opportunity to hear it.

Fantastic night. Was really lucky to bail up Phil Walsh for 15 minutes and talk footy. What a passionate football man and straight shooter.

Barry Curtin did terrific interviews with Shaun Hart and Matt White who is now black, white and teal through and through.

Wish I knew what you looked like Janus !

Was there with pastmyprimus raman and the legend that is RussellEbertHandball

Matt White summed it up at the end of his interview. He had earlier talked about how he was sick of being a sub at Richmond and had a bit of a chat with Kenny when he was given the green vest for the Showdown.

But he said that now if he was told he was going to be the sub he would take it without question because it is all about the team here and you do whatever is best for this team to win. It was really stirring.

Great work posting this Janus - after 7 years of living outside the state, and 5 outside Australia, you've got me wanting a piece of the Club 1870 package next year.
If this is the sort of stuff you get as a Club 1870 member then I might have to upgrade next season.

Then you might want to consider upgrading this year... the current membership is at ~280 and they are looking at capping it at 300 from next year. I know I won't be giving up my place. ;)

Was great to see Ford Fairlane again and meet pastmyprimus and RussellEbertHandball for the first time. We knew Janus was there but hadn't tracked him down by the time I had to leave early for work reasons. :mad::mad::mad::thumbsdown::(:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::(:mad:

Would love to hear more reports. Would particularly love to hear what Matt White said.
Matt White said give me the only Club in SA over a 'Big 4' Vic club any day!

*I wasn't actually there.

Funny story, I was walking to the Southern stand entrance and some random guy walking in the same direction comes up to me and says "Are you heading to the Club 1870 event?". I replied in the affirmative and he asked a question along the lines of whether I was involved in any web forums. I mention BigFooty and he introduces himself, and I realised I had picked up the first name somewhere before...

"Are you Mr. Handball?" I asked. Lucky it was him, otherwise it would've been a really weird question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's a person REH hasn't randomly introduced himself to. I first had the pleasure at last years Geelong final at the MCG of not only being approached by REH, but then of REH introducing me to Boydman whom he'd met earlier!

ftfy :p

That boydman introduction at the final was completely unexpected & made my day!

For some reason when I saw this thread title I immediately had this play in my head:

Do I need help?

Cheap 'likes' post OP... :p

We really do need to have a be all and end all BF meetup so faces can be put to dodgy usernames!! :D

Great reprt...fckn Casual Keefy, he gives me an immediate.

The Club 1870 membership is really good value. It gives you a chance to hear from KT, the coaches and the players, and to mingle with them too.

Tonight was another fantastic night plus it was great to meet raman for the first time.

KT's speech was truly inspirational which Janus covered so well. He said something quite interesting about our reserves model. Port deliberately waited for the sanfl to approve the Crows' model first because it was confident it had a superior model. And the club didn't want to risk the Crows copying key aspects by going first. It worked a treat.

And now after two games the Crows are beginning to complain their reserves team isn't competitive, and the model needs changing. You reap what you sow.

The Club 1870 membership is really good value. It gives you a chance to hear from KT, the coaches and the players, and to mingle with them too.

Tonight was another fantastic night plus it was great to meet raman for the first time.

KT's speech was truly inspirational which Janus covered so well. He said something quite interesting about our reserves model. Port deliberately waited for the sanfl to approve the Crows' model first because it was confident it had a superior model. And the club didn't want to risk the Crows copying key aspects by going first. It worked a treat.

And now after two games the Crows are beginning to complain their reserves team isn't competitive, and the model needs changing. You reap what you sow.

Via their trusted mouthpiece, Stephen Rowe.

A recurring theme. Rowe sings from the twiggy hymn sheet whenever there's a Crows' stuff-up.

He keeps banging on about both clubs agreeing to enter reserves teams under an identical model. Clearly this wasn't the case, because you know, we entered with completely different models and all that. And this after he spent last year saying "if the crows get a reserves team it doesn't mean Port should just be allowed to have one too. They can't afford to enter one!".

That speech from KT tonight was as frank and engaging as any that I have heard in recent memory!!

There was ZERO spin and ZERO bullshit, I just couldnt help but think how different a Seven Trigg address would have been.... whilst KT is steering this ship - we will ALWAYS be heading in the right direction!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back