Open NAT - A must for Multi-Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Open NAT is essential if you want the best Live or PSN experience.

The best and safest way to achieve this is with port forwarding. Putting your console within the DMZ is a security risk.

www.portforward.com is probably the best site on showing you how to port forward for your router. I.e mine is a DSL-502T

DSL-502T 360

It also has game specific settings (Blackops linked below), though I've found I've only needed to do the generic 360 port forward.

Black Ops 360 - DSL 502T

Black Ops PS3 - DSL 502T

The other thing I would recommend is assigning your Console to a static IP address.

If you don't, you may find the IP you've port forwarded on your router could get taken by another device (i.e Laptop). This will translate into a inconsistent experience for you. I.e one day you may have issues connecting to a party, game, chat etc and the next day it works.

Is there any proof that putting your PS3 in the DMZ is a security risk?

I have mine in my DMZ. And so does about 40 others on our PS3 Madden League. We recommend it.

good thread

Uncle Ant - Whats a console mac address? my console is a Sony not an Apple? Where do i get it from?

Should be in system settings, and system information I think.

A MAC address is basically a unique address that is given to all internet enabled devices. Made up of four or six pairs of Hexadecimals.

Ant_ you beastly mod (on the Video Games board, sorry about the Bay, I don't like that place) could you provide a walkthrough type thing to help us n00bs like me and grro

Your choice to put it in the DMZ, it's not as risky as putting a computer in the DMZ. However there is more risk then port fowarding.

Also DMZ or Port Forwarding it's better to have your console on a static IP. As on DHCP another device could grab the IP.

SpaceCow I would do it anyway, most likely your PS3 is on moderate which will connect well most of the time. See diagram.

1a1e56b7-3057-4109-9694-8461558b7655.JPG

Ant_ you beastly mod (on the Video Games board, sorry about the Bay, I don't like that place) could you provide a walkthrough type thing to help us n00bs like me and grro

Website I linked to (www.portforwarding.com) in the OP has screen shots to walk through for most routers out there.

lol thanks spacecow and hssb but i knew already , was just being silly

good thread though - not many people know this stuff

Yeah figured you did, since you knew what a RIM was. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you do put it in DMZ. i tried doing it with my PS3. looked like there were no issues. except my router started dropping out, returned settings back to what they were when the PS3 wasn't in the DMZ and worked perfeclty.

Although i do have a Very dodgy setup with routers on routers on routers in wrong modes =p

edit: a good tip is to not make the IP a really low number unless you plan on leaving the console on 24/7 as there's a chance something that logs on that hasn't got a static IP set up takes your IP while your console is off and then when you turn it on it has connection troubles (likely to just not connect)

My port forward history is as follows

Ethernet wired cable connection through late 2006 until late 2008. I purchased the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter late 2006 (picked it up for $40, when it was originally going for $150 - that kind of deal was unheard of back then), didn't use it until mid 2008 when i finally decided to take the plunge and get a wireless router.

First router was a d-link, i didn't have a clue on port forwarding back then.... didn't get kicked out of many games due to the connection (only real trouble was with COD 4: MW or COD: WAW). Ditched the first router i purchased almost a year after buying it (D-Link basic router - was impossible to open ports with).

My next (and still current) router is a Belkin, i was able to forward the ports straight away and had zero issues with the games i previously had troubles with (COD, Gears of War 2 etc).... until recently.

A few months ago i discovered that my ports were closed (got kicked out of games due to dropping connection, various pc and xbox tests stating that the port was closed) and despite following the same guides on portforward.com, i couldn't reopen them.

I took a gamble, and paid for the portforward port configuration program, that didn't work. Even their tech support staff couldn't figure out why the ports weren't opening for me again. Has been touch and go since September

A few months ago i discovered that my ports were closed (got kicked out of games due to dropping connection, various pc and xbox tests stating that the port was closed) and despite following the same guides on portforward.com, i couldn't reopen them.

I took a gamble, and paid for the portforward port configuration program, that didn't work. Even their tech support staff couldn't figure out why the ports weren't opening for me again. Has been touch and go since September

Belkin's have a reset switch underneath them (well my old one does), you hold it down and it goes back to factory settings. Try that then reconfigure your router. You will need to know your login name and password for your isp as the router will be wiped doing this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back