Rumour Operation Corporate Apparel: Get Adam Treloar

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in a tiny minority but the Colbert trade was a fail for me.

Grant was a good one though in true North style we also got a top 30 pick in the deal and royally squandered it.

On that note I can't think of one multi-pick deal where we haven't buggered at least one of the picks?
(only referring to picks traded in, not players)

Schwass = Grant + Paul McMahon
Bell = Motlop + Smith
Choppy = Brown + Perry
Carey = Wells + Shore
Gibson = Black + Kennedy
Hale = Harper + Mabon
Schwass and Carey deals are better than break even, though Shore hurt as he was meant to be the next 10 year KPF. All the others are clearly losses. Hale went from Nth Ballarat to 2-time premiership player and Gibbo is a gun. Black's stocks are pretty low right now and Harper is the only other to show the slightest bit.
Colby V Mooney, yep you are probably right there too.

Through the early 2000's we traded early picks often, and generally failed. I think you would have to go back to Colbert for a successful early picks/player bundle. Before that Shannon Grant. I'd love to see our club make a big play for an out-and-out 10 year gun ala Shagga, and of the 22 guys at Etihad tomorrow night their would only be JZ and Cunners that I wouldn't want to see part of the deal (maybe Goldy, but even then I would get over it in time).

Jack, Cunners, and Treloar would be up there with the best midfields going around (outside GWS )
Think about this for a moment. We have Swallow and JZ, Dumont coming through and Bastinac who plays his best when he's on the inside. If McDonald moves into the midfield it will be inside. The club has built a list around inside grunt and now we have some trade collateral to balance out the list.

Cunnington and one of Mullet, Atley, Black (perhaps a stretch) could be traded for Treloar and Carlisle plus our first 2 rounds of picks.

Think about this for a moment. We have Swallow and JZ, Dumont coming through and Bastinac who plays his best when he's on the inside. If McDonald moves into the midfield it will be inside. The club has built a list around inside grunt and now we have some trade collateral to balance out the list.

Cunnington and one of Mullet, Atley, Black (perhaps a stretch) could be traded for Treloar and Carlisle plus our first 2 rounds of picks.
Where would you play Carlisle, and instead of who?
I like the thinking though.
Make it happen YOTR.

Didn't it cost us Welsh as well?

There were a lot of moving parts but the net results including who got taken with the traded picks:

We gained-
Colbert (6 seasons)
Calthorpe (2 seasons?)

We lost-
Mooney (12 seasons?)
Welsh (8-9 seasons?)
Giansiracusa (15 seasons)
Enright (16+ seasons)

We also traded ourselves into having our 1st pick at #53*.

That's a fail. Hands down.

*footnote: looked it up and we took the fabulously unsuccessful Clayton Lasscock at #53 who enjoyed a 0 game career. 3 picks later - Ryan O'Keefe. :(

Grant was a good one though in true North style we also got a top 30 pick in the deal and royally squandered it.

On that note I can't think of one multi-pick deal where we haven't buggered at least one of the picks?
(only referring to picks traded in, not players)

Schwass = Grant + Paul McMahon
Bell = Motlop + Smith
Choppy = Brown + Perry
Carey = Wells + Shore
Gibson = Black + Kennedy
Hale = Harper + Mabon
Even more reason to do the multi trade thing I would think... If we only got on 50%... We need to multi trade it up.

Schwass and Carey deals are better than break even, though Shore hurt as he was meant to be the next 10 year KPF. All the others are clearly losses. Hale went from Nth Ballarat to 2-time premiership player and Gibbo is a gun. Black's stocks are pretty low right now and Harper is the only other to show the slightest bit.
Colby V Mooney, yep you are probably right there too.

You're right on Carey, no argument. And pretty much on Schwass too.

I just get annoyed that we mucked up the chance to really drive home an advantage on those trades.

Do yourself a favour - 1997 Schwass trade - we got pick 30. As mentioned we used it on Paul McMahon.

Go and look up who went a pick later....

We took Shore at #18 and in hindsight you had Longergan, Rivers, Merrett taken in the next 10-15. Any would've helped 'shore' up our defence for the next decade.

Ah hindsight eh?

There were a lot of moving parts but the net results including who got taken with the traded picks:

We gained-
Colbert (6 seasons)
Calthorpe (2 seasons?)

We lost-
Mooney (12 seasons?)
Welsh (8-9 seasons?)
Giansiracusa (15 seasons)
Enright (16+ seasons)

We also traded ourselves into having our 1st pick at #53*.

That's a fail. Hands down.

*footnote: looked it up and we took the fabulously unsuccessful Clayton Lasscock at #53 who enjoyed a 0 game career. 3 picks later - Ryan O'Keefe. :(

I'm with you on the Colbert stuff.

We more or less setup the Geelong dynasty with that trade :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right on Carey, no argument. And pretty much on Schwass too.

I just get annoyed that we mucked up the chance to really drive home an advantage on those trades.

Do yourself a favour - 1997 Schwass trade - we got pick 30. As mentioned we used it on Paul McMahon.

Go and look up who went a pick later....

We took Shore at #18 and in hindsight you had Longergan, Rivers, Merrett taken in the next 10-15. Any would've helped 'shore' up our defence for the next decade.

Ah hindsight eh?

sadly look who went at pick 43 in the 1997 draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or pick 45???????

Spitta to GC for a pick, so he can play with dribbler, that takes care of the I want to play with my brother. Mind you it's the reverse of our much anticipated deal. On trade pick from GC to GWS as well as our 1st and 2nd rounder. GWS get bidding power to take the academy players, we get treloar. Question is what is spitta worth? Also has JB been thinking this for awhile, anointing JZ as the captain in waiting, publicly, so early on.

Can the Colbert trade be only counted with his on field stuff?

Without him I'm not sure we have much of a team after the press conference in 2002.

So, if or when Mumford goes down, who is their No 2 ruckman ? i cant see how Currie has no value as a sweetener

and what happens if Goldstein goes down for us ? Petrie Daw etc could be short term options, but gee Currie would be a big loss then

Treloar looks like a blood nut too... No red head should ever play for GWS . Not with their jumper ....its like mixing Fanta and Lucozade

So another big incentive for him to leave

sadly look who went at pick 43 in the 1997 draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or pick 45???????

#45 was father-son so that's acceptable. But I actually remember watching the '97 draft and Mick McGuane from the start was talking up Adam Goodes (called him "Goodies" I think). He was surprised no one was taking a shot on him and thought he was an eventual steal at 43.

Smart man was McGuane it seems.

Can the Colbert trade be only counted with his on field stuff?

Without him I'm not sure we have much of a team after the press conference in 2002.

Have heard this one, don't agree with it.

Fwiw was of the opinion the Colbert move was a bad one at the time. He was a good player but not a sell the farm for type of player. It would've been more in our interest to preserve the unity and spirit of a premiership squad than desperately try to top it up with a bloke who wasn't really required.

With regards to us needing his off field aspects - we had a fair chunk of a 3x grand final squad who'd played at a underresourced club that had thrived despite being massively underresourced and forced to play relocated home games and through a potential merger of the club call still in place.

So I always felt it was disrespectful to that squad to think they might've had any chinks in their character or mental resilience that needed to Leigh Colbert to guide them.

Have heard this one, don't agree with it.

So I always felt it was disrespectful to that squad to think they might've had any chinks in their character or mental resilience that needed to Leigh Colbert to guide them.

Based soley from reading on hear of people I respect but I believe that Colby played a huge role in the off field leadership when the club was struggling with Careys departure.

Leadership when the leaders that had pushed for those flags were struggling with the stuff that was happening around them.

Atley and a pick for Treloar? Heath Shaw only has a few years left and they may be looking for a quick hbf, Atley still young enough to step up his game so that may interest them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back