Analysis The mini draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

And Jack Martin has played 11 games, probably 7 of which he did nothing, a few he showed a bit and 1 has been an absolute standout yet people will take him first. So I'm not sure what you point is.

Tom Boyd just got paid 7 mil, traded for Griffen and pick 6 and salary relief from the dogs on the back of 9 games a lot of which were average.

It's a bit ridiculous to argue over who is the best. But I wouldn't rule out any of them. Hogan and Martin have both had injuries and were always going to take longer. But I guess there were plenty calling Hodge a dud in about 2003 and thinking not only Judd but Ball were way better players.

Only Daniher (had he not been father son) and Whitfield could've rivaled O'Meara and Crouch in the 2012 draft. Only Boyd would've been in the conversation with Martin and Hogan had they been in the 2013 draft. They are all super talents.

I wouldnt take Martin first.
I'd take O'Meara first and Crouch 2nd (just).
Just think they'll have more strings to their bow than Martin.

No doubt theyre all super talents and will end up being guns.

It's ridiculous when people state that Boyd was offered the mega contract on the basis of half a season.

It's on the basis of his junior career too FFS.

You may be trolling but if Boyd meets the hype of his junior career then we got him cheap.

NOTHING TO GO ON!

You see this is the bit you don't get. Petracca will go pick 1 for a reason. Yes, mistakes can be made, such as our Jackie Boy, but talent can be evaluated prior to players stepping on an AFL field. And an 18 year old rag dolling men at Casey and winning a B&F from 13 games speaks volumes. Accept, of course, to you.

There's a reason why Gerard Healy wanted the rules changed after seeing Hogan live in one NAB cup match, so he could play in his first year.

As I said, I get that some (you) don't get it. I also said, it's not surprising.

Last edited:
I miss hotpocket. The early part of this thread was great reading with his cheerleading for Hogan.

"I've never seen these guys play but Hogan is better"

Dont worry, Trav here is replacing the hot pocket.

Even given Hogan has played 0 afl games, he apparently thinks hes shown enough to be considered with the other names on the list.

Heh - when I first read ManOfClay 's post, I immediately thought 'Don't worry, we have Dangersloane here doing his bit talking up Crouch'

I'm very happy with Crouch, especially considering what Adelaide paid for him ---

Adelaide:

IN: Brad Crouch (& Luke Brown):
Out: Pick #10 & Pick #20 (end of 1st Round Compo - Phil Davis)

Gold Coast:

IN: Jaeger O'Meara (& #31):
Out: Pick #4 & #14 (?? ) (end of 1st Round Compo - ? ) << little help with this one?

Gold Coast:

IN: Jack Martin (& end of 1st Round Compo - Rhys Palmer - #?):
Out: Pick #2, Pick #67 & (end of first Round Compp - Jarrod Brennan - #?)

Melbourne:

IN: Jesse Hogan (& Dominic Barry & #20)
Out: Pick #3 & #14

----

all the deals are pretty good, but Adelaide was the only one who didn't use a sub #10 -
#2, #3 & #4 were all used in the other three trades...

You also have to ask whether he will reach his potential due to a) injury and b) being at melbourne.
Cant just pick one factor and focus on that
I don't have an opinion on whether Hogan or Crouch or whoever will be the best or worst, but to say that there's no way Crouch will be the fourth best because he's produced more in his first two seasons and people who think otherwise have no clue is ridiculous.

If I could have one at the Eagles it would be O'Meara and by a bit of distance.

Crouch and Martin are also shaping up to have great careers too. Crouch obviously the more reliable whilst Martin is the real X factor and could end up doing anything, or even very little.

Wouldn't be surprised if all three end up in the best 10 players of the competition at some stage. I do reckon O'Meara has a huge chance at being the best player of the post Ablett generation, even though ~5 of their years will intercross. Is an absolute gun.

I don't know anything about Jesse Hogan so can't say yeah or no.

I don't have an opinion on whether Hogan or Crouch or whoever will be the best or worst, but to say that there's no way Crouch will be the fourth best because he's produced more in his first two seasons and people who think otherwise have no clue is ridiculous.

Its arguable that he's shown more than any of the others with no preseasons and a couple of injuries.
Theres no point in debating any of these players at all if thats the case.

You want to work off potential not what theyve delivered, which is even more ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its arguable that he's shown more than any of the others with no preseasons and a couple of injuries.
Theres no point in debating any of these players at all if thats the case.

You want to work off potential not what theyve delivered, which is even more ridiculous
I'm just against saying that people who disagree with you "have no clue". It's difficult to predict at this stage and I have no problem with you having an opinion, but when it's this speculative you shouldn't be writing off other people's opinions.

I'm just against saying that people who disagree with you "have no clue". It's difficult to predict at this stage and I have no problem with you having an opinion, but when it's this speculative you shouldn't be writing off other people's opinions.

Its obvious he hasnt seen Crouch play...because no matter what you base it on he wouldnt be 4th.
Whereas even though Hogan has never played AFL I have actually seen him play.

I'm not saying I'd take Crouch first as Ive alreayd stated I would take O'Meara, but its a very uneducated perspective as he could very well end up being the best player.

ANd he's done it for what like 2 games?
Amongst a string of very average games.

You seem to be pretty upset that someone may disagree with how you see the world.

Yes, I rate Martin's maximum potential higher that Crouch, I think the kid is going to be elite if he can get his body right. I also think the other CG kid as better, much better. I'm hoping that Hogan will be become a 10+ year key forward for us but as he hasn't played a game yet the jury is out.

Not sure why you're getting so uptight

Heh - when I first read ManOfClay 's post, I immediately thought 'Don't worry, we have Dangersloane here doing his bit talking up Crouch'

I'm very happy with Crouch, especially considering what Adelaide paid for him ---

Adelaide:

IN: Brad Crouch (& Luke Brown):
Out: Pick #10 & Pick #20 (end of 1st Round Compo - Phil Davis)

Gold Coast:

IN: Jaeger O'Meara (& #31):
Out: Pick #4 & #14 (?? ) (end of 1st Round Compo - ? ) << little help with this one?

Gold Coast:

IN: Jack Martin (& end of 1st Round Compo - Rhys Palmer - #?):
Out: Pick #2, Pick #67 & (end of first Round Compp - Jarrod Brennan - #?)

Melbourne:

IN: Jesse Hogan (& Dominic Barry & #20)
Out: Pick #3 & #14

----

all the deals are pretty good, but Adelaide was the only one who didn't use a sub #10 -
#2, #3 & #4 were all used in the other three trades...

Based on the compensation the Hawks got he best deal although we have hardly seen anything of Anderson.

Out: Gilham, #27 and #63.

You seem to be pretty upset that someone may disagree with how you see the world.

Yes, I rate Martin's maximum potential higher that Crouch, I think the kid is going to be elite if he can get his body right. I also think the other CG kid as better, much better. I'm hoping that Hogan will be become a 10+ year key forward for us but as he hasn't played a game yet the jury is out.

Not sure why you're getting so uptight

Ironic that you're doing the same thing.

You havent seen crouch obviously or you wouldnt rate anyone's potential ahead of him, maybe equal, but not in front.

All 4 a pretty different players. Crouch and O'Meara are probably the most comparable. Martin looks like he has most class. Crouch and O'Meara look like clearance guns with O'Meara being ahead and Hogan is a key forward who's dominated at VFL level.

I'm not going to rate any as they are all different sorts of players.

If Hogan turns out to be just as good as Jaeger, Crouch and the glimpse Martin showed in the WC game, then geez... that's some mini draft!

Makes me wish we just got to keep the 4 picks :p

Ironic that you're doing the same thing.

You havent seen crouch obviously or you wouldnt rate anyone's potential ahead of him, maybe equal, but not in front.

I've seen Crouch play and think he's going to be a great player. I just rate the GC lads as having a higher potential.

I'm certainly not upset that someone disagrees with me and I haven't made smart arsed claims like you have, this post of yours is just one example. Your presumptions make you look foolish. Think about what you're saying, this last post of yours claims that Crouch has more potential than anyone. That's just crazy talk. Settle down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back