Oppo Camp Opposition Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Giants again proving that a change in coaching philosophy, and in turn team mentality, really is all that is required sometimes.

The turnaround from what Leon Cameron was doing with this group to now is just incredible. Coniglio, Whitfield, Ward, Kelly all playing with a new lease on life leading the way brilliantly.

Easily the best team in the comp to watch.

Both disciples of Dimma.
And where did we finish?
Coincidence?… Most likely

Maybe it's got more to do with the way John Longmire mentored Dew at the Swans? You can throw Rhyce Shaw's bad run at North in there as well because he was also an assistant under Longmire prior to his senior coaching appointment. Then you look at the assistants from Richmond who have transitioned into senior coaching and they've had far more success with Craig McRae and Adam Kingsley. Andrew McQualter did a pretty good job as an interim coach this year and even Ben Rutten got Essendon to the finals in his first season. Probably the only categoric failure that I can think of from Richmond would be Justin Leppitsch when he took over the reigns at Brisbane but that's not really a fair indication because that happened back before Richmond went on their dynasty run between 2017-2020.

If we become a successful team under Hardwick then I fully expect both Stephen King and Shaun Grigg to become senior coaches elsewhere. Unfortunately that's how this caper works and we'll just have to accept it.

Giants again proving that a change in coaching philosophy, and in turn team mentality, really is all that is required sometimes.

The turnaround from what Leon Cameron was doing with this group to now is just incredible. Coniglio, Whitfield, Ward, Kelly all playing with a new lease on life leading the way brilliantly.

Easily the best team in the comp to watch.
Finally resubscribed to Kayo last week after a hiatus for a few months (helped that they offered me twelve months at half price) and have to agree. The Giants are fantastic to watch. Class everywhere and the support players have really stepped up to assist their stars like Greene, Green, Coniglio, Whitfield, Kelly, Taylor and Hogan who are all playing at or near their best.

Giants list is way better than they have been playing till this season. Sam Taylor is the best KPD in the AFL, Greene is a top 2 forward, Green, Cogs, Kelly are a great starting midfield.
Also believe losing Taranto and Hopper was a net positive for them, changed their midfield balance and made them more dynamic and attacking.
Helps Kingsley has got a great buy in from players.

Basically, no injuries also make a huge difference for GWS.

I would also add that after many years basically playing without a competent ruck (Mumford should retire like 3-4 years earlier) having talented Briggs in the middle is a great plus. I don't remember any ruckman beating Briggs this year. He is Mumford II at his best.

Basically, no injuries also make a huge difference for GWS.

I would also add that after many years basically playing without a competent ruck (Mumford should retire like 3-4 years earlier) having talented Briggs in the middle is a great plus. I don't remember any ruckman beating Briggs this year. He is Mumford II at his best.
They built a good list and they even got the #1 draft pick Aaron Cadman in the wings, could be the start of something special for them

If there was ever a bigger X factor in AFL than Toby Greene I've not seen it
What a gift to have a guy who can swing games in 5 minutes
I'm always interested in what makes champions
I asked Ray Price-an NRL legend-what made him so good
He said
"I never ever ever gave up on the ball until it was dead, and even then I'd kick it to see if it moved"
You see that in TG's desperation
Chol doesn't have it;)
Rowelly has it but just doesn't have Greene's skill basket unfortunately

Giants list is way better than they have been playing till this season. Sam Taylor is the best KPD in the AFL, Greene is a top 2 forward, Green, Cogs, Kelly are a great starting midfield.
Also believe losing Taranto and Hopper was a net positive for them, changed their midfield balance and made them more dynamic and attacking.
Totally agree and I'd add Buckley to that list as well....has had a great year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bedford instead of Berry , Brown ( Irish ) instead of Ace ? Role players like idun , Sam Taylor Buckley hardly required first round pick . Also your overrated what GWS do , basically just send Cameron ( list manager ) to GCS and sack coach Cameron to refresh the squad .

If there was ever a bigger X factor in AFL than Toby Greene I've not seen it
What a gift to have a guy who can swing games in 5 minutes
I'm always interested in what makes champions
I asked Ray Price-an NRL legend-what made him so good
He said
"I never ever ever gave up on the ball until it was dead, and even then I'd kick it to see if it moved"
You see that in TG's desperation
Chol doesn't have it;)
Rowelly has it but just doesn't have Greene's skill basket unfortunately
Toby Greene is in peak of his powers and great to watch. Rowell is a different player, certainly not forward. I am pretty sure Greene would not match Rowell's numbers in the middle. They tried him there early in his career when you could only hear that he is di**head. Certainly, he is one of the best players now but was not when he had 60 games under his belt.

With only 2 full seasons Rowell was quite impressive in Darwin when he took over in the middle in parts of games. Who knows what he can do when he is 29.

Bedford instead of Berry , Brown ( Irish ) instead of Ace ? Role players like idun , Sam Taylor Buckley hardly required first round pick . Also your overrated what GWS do , basically just send Cameron ( list manager ) to GCS and sack coach Cameron to refresh the squad .
Yes, your role players are fantastic. I don't see any weak link in best 22. Not sure about your depth but you got minimal injury list.

Just on Cameron, list manager. He was with GWS for only 1.5 year and oversaw one trade period (started May 2016, accepted Suns job Nov 2017). GWS were pretty unhappy about it if media is correct. Not that he is my favourite, but a lot of people blame him for everything when a lot of decisions are approved/made by Evans, board.

Last edited:
Yes, your role players are fantastic. I don't see any weak link in best 22. Not sure about your depth but you got minimal injury list.

Just on Cameron, list manager. He was with GWS for only 1.5 year (started May 2016, accepted Suns job Nov 2017). GWS were pretty unhappy about it if media is correct. Not that he is my favourite but a lot of people blame him for everything when a lot of decisions are approved/made by Evans, board.
You are right GWS (Wayne Campbell - current GCS general manager ) were pretty unhappy during that time with Evans then move to GCS after he get the sack .

Here is an article why GWS part away Wayne Campbell before moving to GCS.

Last edited:
Toby Greene is in peak of his powers and great to watch. Rowell is a different player, certainly not forward. I am pretty sure Greene would not match Rowell's numbers in the middle. They tried him there early in his career when you could only hear that he is di**head. Certainly, he is one of the best players now but was not when he had 60 games under his belt.

With only 2 full seasons Rowell was quite impressive in Darwin when he took over in the middle in parts of games. Who knows what he can do when he is 29.
Toby was racking up 30 a game as a rookie in the midfield .... he can do it. Its just his skill set is better utilised as a forward. But no one is really comparing the two. Both excellent players

Toby was racking up 30 a game as a rookie in the midfield .... he can do it. Its just his skill set is better utilised as a forward. But no one is really comparing the two. Both excellent players
Yeah, both excellent players, Rowell not there yet though.

Yeah, Toby got a lot of possessions as rookie in the middle but basically half tackles, clearances compared to Rowell. Still impressive especially as rookie.

Good luck against Collingwood. I hope travelling, shorter break do not catch up with you. Fantastic to watch.

And just like that any interest I had in watching the Grand Final is gone..
It’s a sad day when Brisbane becomes the team I’m left cheering for, because I cannot deal with a VFL powerhouse grand final of Collingwood v Carlton.

Either way, I’m looking at a word where I will see Zorko, De Goey or Jack Martin get a premiership medal…

But hey, maybe Kiss at half time will make it worth it…

Brave effort. GWS fans should be proud.

I am disappointed. GWS were awesome to watch recently. They will be difficult to beat next year if they can stay healthy. Only Ward is 33.

Hostile crowd did have impact on some players. Briggs looked limited. Missed opportunities. Travelling, 6-day breaks did not help.

Surely, I can't support Zorko to win it all.

Did you notice when they showed replay of blatant infringements that should off resulted in free kick to GWS the commentators didn't say boo apart from one time. Great game GWS very stiff.

Did you notice when they showed replay of blatant infringements that should off resulted in free kick to GWS the commentators didn't say boo apart from one time. Great game GWS very stiff.
Luke Hodge was pretty good at calling out the Giants missed free but BT was awful.

Also, why was Paddy Dangerfield there? He gave 0 insight into the game, he just bobbed up every now and again with "wow, this is loud" as if he wasn't in the grand final last year.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back