Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is a different kettle of fish because of his unique rate of talents. You are telling me that Roughead got 20% of his goals from marks ?
Can you tell me that 2 games ia suitable sample or that Roughead didn't have games where he did get the bulk of his goals from crumbs. The best talls are those that can manufacture goals when the ball hits the deck.

Are you referring to a pre-season including a game where it was so dewy it was analogous to wet weather footy?

I'd be pretty stoked with 2.5 goals per game (55 goals) out of Carlisle.

We always make excuses for our players - Always - Poor weather conditions, unfair tactics by defenders, injury,wrong shaped ball. You think that a KP getting 80% of goals ( from a small sample ) is sustainable. Good luck for you !

Can you tell me that 2 games ia suitable sample or that Roughead didn't have games where he did get the bulk of his goals from crumbs. The best talls are those that can manufacture goals when the ball hits the deck.

crumbs/ground balls are the icing on the cake. Marks is bread and butter. I made this assessment after NAB round 1 - That on the night Carlisle and JD got 4 out of 5 goals from ground balls. I have no issue with JD - He will mark often and kick goals. I want to see more from Carlisle.

How many players took marks in that GC game? Carlisle's 4 was pretty respectable by key forward standards that night. Day and Lynch took 5 and 6 respectively, but Carlisle had as many as Dixon and Daniher combined.

If you want to base things on a 2 game sample, don't get cranky when there's exceptional circumstances in 50% of your sample.

crumbs/ground balls are the icing on the cake. Marks is bread and butter. I made this assessment after NAB round 1 - That on the night Carlisle and JD got 4 out of 5 goals from ground balls. I have no issue with JD - He will mark often and kick goals. I want to see more from Carlisle.
No doubt, but Carlisle has played how many AFL games in his new position...zero?

So I will take him manufacturing goals as a good sign, because I have already seen him mark a ball and kick a goal at AFL level. Go back and watch the WC game again.

No doubt, but Carlisle has played how many AFL games in his new position...zero?

So I will take him manufacturing goals as a good sign, because I have already seen him mark a ball and kick a goal at AFL level. Go back and watch the WC game again.

My concern is a general forward line issue - You need to consistently take 12+ marks in the forward 50 to win games of footy - 15+ would be the optimum - Carlisle is one part of the forward line that needs to improve.

Jesus. We really need round one to happen now don't we... Endless over analysis of preseason games is doing my head in. I could just not come and read, and my daughter did just ask why i'm not talking to her :rolleyes:

Don't you look at Elton and Griffiths taking mark after mark in Richmond's forward line against us and ask your self WTF? How is it that every side we play against can get the ball into the hands of a key forward when we struggle to get the ball within 15m of guys who take contested grabs as well as anyone in the AFL?

Yaco's sample may not be the most accurate because of extenuating circumstances but if Carlisle is going to work as a forward he needs to be taking marks and/or making contests and spilling the ball as you'd expect from a key forward.

He needs to work a whole lot harder on the lead based on the 11 quarters of pre-season footy I've seen.

My concern is a general forward line issue - You need to consistently take 12+ marks in the forward 50 to win games of footy - 15+ would be the optimum - Carlisle is one part of the forward line that needs to improve.

Or we could just go on winning the inside 50 count and lobby the AFL to change the scoring system?

Jesus. We really need round one to happen now don't we... Endless over analysis of preseason games is doing my head in. I could just not come and read, and my daughter did just ask why i'm not talking to her :rolleyes:

The forward line has been ****ed for years. This is not just some whim based on a couple of preseason games.

Agreed. Rubbish trend to the thread.
Mind you, everything else has been said already and we are still more than a week out god damn it! :mad:
The forward line has been ****** for years. This is not just some whim based on a couple of preseason games.

since Lloyd was pushed one might say, didnt get a chance to educate his successor in the ways of the force. Or maybe over realiance on one gun key fwd can be detremental to the team in the long run? Maybe we were blessed being able to just bomb it to him or hit him on the lead any whioch way that we took it for granted.

I hope history looks favorably on him, like very much so, his exit was not fitting of a man of his quality, one of the greats.

since Lloyd was pushed one might say, didnt get a chance to educate his successor in the ways of the force. Or maybe over realiance on one gun key fwd can be detremental to the team in the long run? Maybe we were blessed being able to just bomb it to him or hit him on the lead any whioch way that we took it for granted.

I hope history looks favorably on him, like very much so, his exit was not fitting of a man of his quality, one of the greats.

For a start the non-education of Lloyd's successor was everything to do with Lloyd and nothing to do with Knights. In fact, the system that Knights wanted was specifically so that Lloyd could be around to educate those successors.

In fairness a lack of continuity has hurt but it doesn't really excuse the fact that for 6 years now we are not really any closer to working out how we want to get the ball into the hands of our forwards. The system really should not be reliant on the individuals.

Last edited:
The forward line has been ****** for years. This is not just some whim based on a couple of preseason games.
I think we got it sorted last year, when we were continually hitting Hurley up on the lead mid season. The fact that his wrists were shot is not related to forward structural issues.
Both Port and Richmond were very predictable in their intent building towards round one. They were thinking defense defense defense. Both teams had really good days against us built on a huge desire to start the season with a bang. In contrast, Bomber has been split along two different lines of thought. The first being, how can we get our fitness to peak come finals? The second being almost whimsical playing around with players and structures to find out what will work best come round one.
You could see the lack of cohesion in the team in general. They were heavy legged, and seemed to be working on their individual games, rather than playing with a team first mentality.
I like it. It smacks of desperation and a need to prove something to play great football in the preseason.
I've said it before, but it just doesn't seem to be registering with some people. If you think Carlisle will not take marks in the forward 50 on a regular basis once the season gets underway then there is something wrong with you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you might want to get your heads checked out ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we got it sorted last year, when we were continually hitting Hurley up on the lead mid season. The fact that his wrists were shot is not related to forward structural issues.
Both Port and Richmond were very predictable in their intent building towards round one. They were thinking defense defense defense. Both teams had really good days against us built on a huge desire to start the season with a bang. In contrast, Bomber has been split along two different lines of thought. The first being, how can we get our fitness to peak come finals? The second being almost whimsical playing around with players and structures to find out what will work best come round one.
You could see the lack of cohesion in the team in general. They were heavy legged, and seemed to be working on their individual games, rather than playing with a team first mentality.
I like it. It smacks of desperation and a need to prove something to play great football in the preseason.
I've said it before, but it just doesn't seem to be registering with some people. If you think Carlisle will not take marks in the forward 50 on a regular basis once the season gets underway then there is something wrong with you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you might want to get your heads checked out ;)

Sorry, the forward line was working last year? Even if it was we've now gone down the path or taking that hit up forward out and replacing him with a player whose strength is contested marking.

No one said that Carlisle will not take marks inside the forward 50. Criticism has been made about the way he operates and the reality that he has not looked at all dangerous as a marking option. The response was "look he has kicked 2 goals a game".

All that is being said is that his 2 goals a game in the preseason counts for s**t when he's contributed virtually nothing in a structural sense and if you're happy with what he is doing because he's kicked a couple you probably don't understand why key position forwards are important.

I actually thought he was reasonable pushing up the wings in the Gold Coast game.

Yeah, he was ok. He did it a little against Richmond too but it falls to him to be the hit up target. Daniher is not fit enough and it's not Bellchambers' game so he really needs to be working his arse off. Hopefully Ambrose has done enough to get a gig in the first few weeks of the season (I genuinely think he has).

Sorry, the forward line was working last year? Even if it was we've now gone down the path or taking that hit up forward out and replacing him with a player whose strength is contested marking.

No one said that Carlisle will not take marks inside the forward 50. Criticism has been made about the way he operates and the reality that he has not looked at all dangerous as a marking option. The response was "look he has kicked 2 goals a game".

All that is being said is that his 2 goals a game in the preseason counts for s**t when he's contributed virtually nothing in a structural sense and if you're happy with what he is doing because he's kicked a couple you probably don't understand why key position forwards are important.

U wot mate?

hurlygurdy you should be a current affair journo with selected quoting like that!
The section that i didn't highlight has no bearing on whether Carlisle can or cannot take marks up forward.
I'm willing to let Bruno get away with a pass because no one likes to admit when they are contradicting themselves. You on the other hand can * right off.

Just don't get how it's contradictory. He could have looked dangerous and not necessarily held marks or he could have spent large chunks of time doing nothing, not getting near the thing and therefore not looking dangerous as a marking option.

I mean how is anyone going to argue that Carlisle can't take a mark?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back