Analysis Our forward line - KPF depth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thurlow, as he's the only ruck on the list? If they picked Pears, Hooker would be ruck IMO

Thurlow's not good enough yet. I would ruck JD and Carlisle and bring in Winder's to play deep forward. Like the idea of a smaller more mobile forward line.

It's interesting how bullish some people are about our chances this year. Rose coloured glasses need to come off I think. Daniher is still too slight to be able to hold up strongly for an entire season and will be managed. Chapman and Winderlich both have delicate frames and will need to be managed. Carlisle isn't yet a forward who will win a game off his own boot, and without guys like Winders and Chapman around him every game isn't going to be a season long performer.

The midfield depth we have is strong, though, and perhaps with the right rotations through the forward line we have something to supplement the times when either Chapman or Winderlich or both are out. There's still the matter of covering Daniher, and while Ambrose may cause a distraction, one quarter producing goals doesn't make a consistent forward.

So, while we look awesome at the moment I reckon we're still looking at the same seasonal pattern of losses from July to September. I hope I'm wrong, of course. IMO, We still need a young gun forward and a pre-season or two into JD before we're really threatening.

Thurlow's not good enough yet. I would ruck JD and Carlisle and bring in Winder's to play deep forward. Like the idea of a smaller more mobile forward line.
Daniher is a horrible ruckman.

he's really not. There's no way in hell i'd play him as a primary ruck man, but he finds enough of the pill around the ground to make up for the fact that he'd probably get soundly beaten in the centre bounces.

he's really not. There's no way in hell i'd play him as a primary ruck man, but he finds enough of the pill around the ground to make up for the fact that he'd probably get soundly beaten in the centre bounces.
The primary requirement of a ruckman is to get hitouts. Daniher struggles with that.

Not too mention what its doing to his body getting hammered by the much bigger ruckman and its eating into valuable development time in the forward half.
Which again brings the discussion back to Bellchambers and Ryder and what to do about the ruck problem. Hammer the crap out of Thurlow instead as long as he is competitive. He doesn't necessarily need to win every tap as long as he makes it difficult for the opposition to get an easy clearance.

You would ruck Carlisle 60% and JD 40%. Both have the ability to make a difference around the ground. I can't see Thurlow offering much in attack. I would rather play Winderlich.

You would ruck Carlisle 60% and JD 40%. Both have the ability to make a difference around the ground. I can't see Thurlow offering much in attack. I would rather play Winderlich.
Or you can play Thurlow 80% ruck. Just a thought.

I'd play Thurlow this week and see how he goes...can adjust the following week if he's not up to it.

Playing him and Winderlich not mutually exclusive but who do you drop? Purely because he's been sub twice and could use a run, probably Z Merrett.

Winders has too play....excited to see how our forward line looks with him playing, think he'll be the prefect foil to JD and Carlisle with his inside 50 smarts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The primary requirement of a ruckman is to get hitouts. Daniher struggles with that.

Not really, the primary requirement of a ruckmen is to ensure clearances. David Hille would lose more hitouts than he won but was still one of the best rucks in the business cause of his follow up work. While Daniher does lose the hitouts more often than not, he creates enough of a contest to hinder the opposition from getting clean hands to it. With our inside midfield stocks any misdirected hitout probably puts it in our favour at ground level, it is much less of a problem than Thurlow's footskills.

Bump! Bit of credit to HurlyGurdy who didn't shut the sh!t up in PS about play Goddard as a focal point in the forward line.
Yes its only Round 3. Only Carlton. And yes Goddard would dominate in the ruck right now, but the guys on fya!
Partial credit to Bomber Thompson.

It's interesting how bullish some people are about our chances this year. Rose coloured glasses need to come off I think. Daniher is still too slight to be able to hold up strongly for an entire season and will be managed. Chapman and Winderlich both have delicate frames and will need to be managed. Carlisle isn't yet a forward who will win a game off his own boot, and without guys like Winders and Chapman around him every game isn't going to be a season long performer.

The midfield depth we have is strong, though, and perhaps with the right rotations through the forward line we have something to supplement the times when either Chapman or Winderlich or both are out. There's still the matter of covering Daniher, and while Ambrose may cause a distraction, one quarter producing goals doesn't make a consistent forward.

So, while we look awesome at the moment I reckon we're still looking at the same seasonal pattern of losses from July to September. I hope I'm wrong, of course. IMO, We still need a young gun forward and a pre-season or two into JD before we're really threatening.

I've thought for a while that what is halting us from truly competing is an efficient and effective forward line. With Chappy and Winders in there it's pretty damn fluid and dynamic. However, their durability is a big worry and I think ultimately this will cost us as both JD and Carlisle are still too raw to stand up big in the huge finals where individual brilliance can be the difference between winning and losing.

You never know though - Chappy and Winders might be able to stay the course, I hope to hell we manage them as well as we can because they are just so damn important. Bomber hinted as much when he mentioned that Winders has to play smarter RE: How he pushes himself deep in Q4.

I've thought for a while that what is halting us from truly competing is an efficient and effective forward line. With Chappy and Winders in there it's pretty damn fluid and dynamic. However, their durability is a big worry and I think ultimately this will cost us as both JD and Carlisle are still too raw to stand up big in the huge finals where individual brilliance can be the difference between winning and losing.

You never know though - Chappy and Winders might be able to stay the course, I hope to hell we manage them as well as we can because they are just so damn important. Bomber hinted as much when he mentioned that Winders has to play smarter RE: How he pushes himself deep in Q4.

Durability is the operative word. Three rounds in and Hardingham is looking promising. His tenacity is probably one of his strongest qualities. I'd really like to see whether Bomber and Bassett (I think?) can bring out the best in Jetta and Colyer. If they can they might save a couple of careers and give us some real depth. I still don't think we'll be looking this strong come July though. Time will tell.

Jesus we NEED hardcore contested marking practice for our forwards. It's beyond a joke how hopeless we are at getting the ball in our 50

Hooker was our best forward.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Only time we looked slightly functional was when he was thrown forward late in the last.. at least brought the ball to ground and made a contest.

Carlisle looks disinterested up there and Daniher is getting murdered.

Think it's hard to blame the forwards for that performance, the midfield on the other hand...

That was a sloppy, horrid performance, they played the whole "just show up and we'll win" style game, no work rate, especially in defensive transition.. There is no doubt that the Perth trip games it out of sides, but there is no excuse for what was dished up last night.

In saying that, I stick with my original comments that Carlilse isn't the best choice to play forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back