panthers, ukraine & broncos
Rookie Selection #9

from afc.com.au

NAME: JAMES MOSS

CLUB: CENTRAL DISTRICT

DOB: 19/11/1989

HEIGHT: 188 CM

WEIGHT: TBC

From Willaston. Played some football for Central District this year. Plays State Under 19 cricket.

http://www.barossa.yourguide.com.au/articles/1089526.html?src=topstories

James Moss could be the surprise selection at this Saturday’s AFL draft.

After being coaxed down to Centrals in the later part of the season, his impressive form had him promoted from Under 19s to the Reserves after just two games.

He followed on to play four reserves games before returning to his home club, Willaston, to join the senior colts finals campaign.

When the Donnybrooks claimed the grand final win, Moss collected the inaugural Dean Tobitt medal for a best on ground performance.

Moss, a sporting all-rounder, was a member of both the SACA state under 17 and under 19 cricket teams last summer.

And he is currently playing A Grade district cricket with the Northern Jets.

Great to see another Doggie at the Crows! Feel free to move this to the Locker Room.

Re: James Moss

Always good to have depth in your wicketkeeping department, particularly if they're a handy bat too :p

I wonder if he's in Tasmania at the moment with the Under 19 Squad?

Wonder when he stops playing cricket now? Hurn stopped about a month before the draft.....was in same position, I sort fo know a guy in the aussie 19's cricket side, says moss is a true country bloke, but a god guy, 1 of only 2 south aussies in the 19's cricket side, saca will be fuming!

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Won't make it.

Why on earth would you say that? Got beaten up by his old man or something?

He will if he puts his mind to it. Has plenty of natural sporting talent, thats for sure. Will be a very solid lad when he's finished growing too. I know the old man. He's rough as guts, but very big and strong, with quite a bit of natural talent himself. I reckon he will put all his effort into his footy now, and I would be surprised if he's not playing regular league footy at the dogs next year. We could have a good one here IMO.

Wonder when he stops playing cricket now? Hurn stopped about a month before the draft.....was in same position, I sort fo know a guy in the aussie 19's cricket side, says moss is a true country bloke, but a god guy, 1 of only 2 south aussies in the 19's cricket side, saca will be fuming!
Whos that, Jimmy S?

Edit: Sorry, their both Jimmy lol.

I guess that is there own fault. They should have offered him a contract if he was that good (not saying his cricket skill are bad) but they had there opportunity to lock him away from football and didn’t take it.

Being in the Australian under 19 side as a wicketkeeper I would have thought he may have been a long term priority. Considering how poor our resent wicketkeeper have preformed he should have been offered a rookie SACA contract.

You snooze, you lose. I guess that sums up both the Sixer and the SACA over the last few years.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Won't make it.

What could you possibly have against the kid

Man, sometimes you are pretty funny, other time you just come out with the stupidest s**t:mad:

What are you, bipolar or something

The kid has done well enough, in 6 games of u19/reserve SANFL games to get a spot on an AFL clubs rookie list

Thats pretty ****ing impressive

To borrow a line from a thread you started- you need to grow the **** up :mad::mad::rolleyes:

from Burgatron. He has pretty good market intelligence huh

71 – ADELAIDE – NICK SALTER

Eagles, SA, Tall forward, July 30 1987, 191.3cm, 94.6kg

There are two schools of thoughts for Adelaide's final selection. It is believed a mature-age SANFL player is in the mix, with Salter the most likely. The other is somewhat of a smokey – James Moss, a promising wicketkeeper, who has been named for the Australian under-19 World Cup cricket squad. Moss could be the bolter, after just five reserves matches with Central District. Others linked with the Crows include Tim Walsh, Austin Wonaeamirri, Henry White, Myke Cook, Matthew Lobbe and Tom McNamara.

Bio: Salter is a solidly built player who has played senior SANFL as a key forward/defender and in the midfield. Penetrating right foot kick, strong at the contest and with good hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's that? Moss is a Crow

3:25 PM Tue 11 December, 2007

By Katrina Gill

from afc.com.au

WHEN the South Australian under-19 cricket team pulls up stumps in Tasmania on Tuesday, wicketkeeper James Moss is in for a pleasant surprise.

Although Moss was selected by the Crows with their first pick in the NAB Rookie Draft, but the club opted not to break the news to their new recruit while he was fielding for his state.

The 18-year-old country lad from Willaston was coaxed down to SANFL club Central Districts this year where he played two under-19 games before being promoted to the reserves.

Moss finished the season with local club Willaston where he was judged best afield in the Grand Final as the team claimed the premiership.

Moss, described as a “smoky” by recruiting manager Matt Rendell, will effectively end his cricketing career when he returns to Adelaide on December 23.

The talented midfielder won’t commence training with his new teammates until the players resume after their Christmas break in early January.

“We spotted James very early on and were very excited about him,” Rendell said.

“We obviously kept it very quiet, but kept in a lot of contact with James about his chances. We had him probably next on our list at the NAB AFL Draft, so we’re very happy to take him with our first pick in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.”

“Obviously he’s always played cricket during the summer and gone into football the following week [after the cricket season] and has done so for quite a few years, so he’s never really done a pre-season. He’s a bit behind on that level, but we think he’ll pick it up pretty quick.”

Moss was overlooked by all 16 clubs on NAB AFL draft day, but was invited to train with Port Adelaide prior to heading to Tassie for his cricketing commitments.

The Crows secured Moss with pick nine in the NAB Rookie draft, leaving the Power to snare highly regarded Woodville-West Torrens forward Nick Salter.

“We had major discussions over Salter and Moss. We thought that Salter might get through to the second round, but it wasn’t to be with Port,” Rendell said.

“I think Port had Moss rated highly, too. We’re very happy with it turned out. We have high hopes for Moss. We think he’s going to be a very good player and you can’t get everyone.”

Rendell said it didn’t take much to persuasion to convince Moss to pick ball over bat.

“He loves his footy. He loves his cricket obviously, too, but it was pretty easy,” he said.

“Once James came out of Willaston and had a taste of SANFL footy it made it even easier. He realised he could hold his own in that grade.”

Congrats Mossy!

Don't think this has been posted yet:

11 December 2007 - 7:20PM View all news | Send to a friend | Print
Barossa

The Adelaide Crows’ connection with the Willaston Football Club continued when James Moss was their first selection at Tuesday’s 2007 AFL Rookie draft.
Moss, an under 17 premiership player with Willaston this season, is currently playing with the South Australian state under 19 cricket team in Tasmania but will become a full-time footballer at the end of the carnival.

Former Willaston players and coaches Alan Stewart and Peter McLean are on the staff of the Adelaide Football Club and were key to Moss’ selection.
“We rate him very highly and looked at him strongly in the national draft earlier this year so are delighted to have been able to pick him up,” Stewart said.

“Peter, one of our recruting team, has always been very keen on James and he has always pushed his case and we believe he has the potential to develop into an AFL player.”

One for the interstaters.

There was an article on and a picture of Moss in the 'tiser yesterday that never made it to Adelaide Now.

It started off by saying that Adelaide did everything in its power to keep Moss's name secret, but once they realized that Port were also aware of him and equally keen on him, they knew they had to take him with the 1st pick in the rookie draft.

Rendell said he was the next player on their drafting list so they were very happy to take him with the first rookie pick.

His uncle Rob Moss was his senior colts coach at the Willaston Donnybrooks who play in the Barossa, Light and Gawler comp. (Just for Drummond's benefit they play in the same colours as the Redlegs, which he is wearing in the pic)

His uncle is sure he will succeed at AFL level saying that

- he has a great leap, a great pair of hands for marking and knows how to be in the right place at the right time. He reads the play well.

- he started playing at the age of 4 in the u/9's

- he's 182 cms tall, but will be bigger. His dad is built really strongly.

- he won the Mail Medal for Senior Colts in the comp this year. Has played in 2 premierships and been named best in 2 grand finals.

- he has the mindset to play at a high level. Always has had.

- Moss will now turn his full attention to footy whereas in the past his preference has been cricket.

Rendell said that the lad would join Crows training in January and this would be the first pre-season he had ever done because of the dual sport situation. However he feels that Moss will pick things up pretty quickly as he has now effectively quit a promising cricket career.

Overall the article was a good read, and from the pic, he does look a likely type, in spite of being dressed in the red and blue. ;)

Well Stewart is a very astute judge of young footy players so I'll go along with his judgement.

Agree with this 100%.
Stewart did some fantastic recruiting at Port so if he rates this kid it sounds like he'll be a great pick for the rookie draft.
Combine that with Petrenko and Curnow, I reckon this sounds like one of our better rookie drafts.:thumbsu:

Re: #43 - James Moss

Hard to believe this thread never got posted in the whole season.

We didn't get to see much of Moss unless you went to the Reserves games, but the highlights footage we saw showed him to have a brilliant kick and good vision. Broke into the league side a few times, including last week's finals match. Wonder if he will get a jumper for the granny?

Did we ever got a confirmation on his height/weight?

I'm excited to see how he goes next year after a full preseason. Hopefully he should play league most of the year next year and maybe break into the Crows side once or twice.

For people who have seen him more than me, where is his best position? Is he versatile or keyholed into one spot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back