Height: 182 cm

Weight: 85 kg

Playing number: 37

Arrived: Drafted with pick 47 in the 2006 AFL draft

Debut: Round 19 vs Fremantle, 2007

Games: 60

Goals: 69

Departed: Delisted at the end of the 2012 season

Kyle Reimers was an aggresive forward whose inconsistency let him down. Coming from Bunbury, Reimers played for Peel in the WAFL before being drafted in 2006, playing as a small-to-medium forward. After playing only three games in his first season, Reimers became a semi-regular in the Knights era, playing about half of all possible games, and was beginning to look like a promising prospect if he continued to develop. With his seemingly flashy and self-confident style of play, Reimers quickly gained attention as well, adding to the expectations placed on him.

Under new coach James Hird, however, Reimers found the going tougher. While Hird's fluro boots ban was well reported, Reimers struggled to adjust to the new gameplan and style of coaching, and began losing interest in the game. This came despite kicking eight goals against Gold Coast in round six of 2011. Reimers only played five games for Essendon in 2012, before being delisted at the end of the year. In 2013, after rejecting Carlton to move back to Perth, Reimers had an interview with Damien Barrett which set the tone for much of the discussion around the AFL drug saga. Reimers went on to play in the WAFL that year, before moving back to Melbourne to play for Aberfeldie in the EDFL.

Last edited:

Absolutely had the talent to make it.

Beautiful kick...really disappointed he couldn't put it together because his skillset is really suited to the modern game.
Yes, that kick was a beauty. I recall some of the bullet-like passes he'd pull off.

He just didn't have the dedication.

from all the post saga murmerings he seemed a bit daft...

on field i felt he had a bit of an akermanis skillset (and maybe certain personality traits) but just lacking that bloody minded determination to impose himself no matter what.

The enduring image I have of Reimers was against Carlton where he marked on the wing and then just off a couple of steps nonchalantly pinpointed Monfries in the centre of the ground which resulted in a goal. Sounds pretty standard but it was just so effortless. I think that was the day he kicked 4 or 5 and I thought "a star is born".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contributed the "waiver" furphy to all in the drugs scandal, cheers campaigner

I didn't mind him - he had a bit of mongrel in him.
Better stats than a lot of other AFL players, and averaged over a goal a game;-

Games - 60, ave disposals - 13.4, marks - 3.9, tackles - 2.5, goals - 1.2.

Was very good when on song.

epic figjam. An old manager of mine was chatting to another EFC player in a club after a game and reimers came up and asked why he was talking to the other player because he (reimers) got a higher supercoach score in the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back