Past Player of the Week - Tony Antrobus

Remove this Banner Ad

Buhagiar was around in 1987? I must've missed that

I am talking about the 1980's - Buhagiar came in 81, Otway 83,Antrobus 87 and Bewick 88. Antrobus was comfortably the worst performed of this quartet.

Last edited:
Hard not to remember Antrobus. Whilst he might have struggled with injuries and being 'over' agressive, he was a good footballer no doubt about it.
Nice guy also, I was playing golf with a mate at Essendon when we joined up with us and was friendly enough. He hit them Ok to from memory.
Wonder what he does with himself these days anyone know...??

I think he was expected to become another one of those really good South Australian rovers of that time in Naley, Platten, and Macguiness but sadly just couldn't get on the park. I do remember him kicking a great goal from the boundary line at Waverley (I think it was) one day. He had the talent no doubt.

Yep, went home to WA after not making the 84 GF team.
He played for Footscray in 1985 and was very handy, kicked 36 goals for the season...Was a gutsy little player was Budgy...Our crowd loved him..

From 2014 but still interesting. Thanks for posting. Stand out bits for me:

I love watching country footy but I’ve lost a bit of interest in the AFL. It’s all about possessions and turnovers. There’s nothing like watching two teams playing attacking footy. When it’s all about keeping the ball from the opposition and chipping it around, it just frustrates me. And the rules change ... players don’t know what’s going on so how can the supporters know what’s going on. But don’t get me wrong — there’s nothing better than watching two good AFL teams playing attacking footy. We just don’t see enough of it.

Back in the day we could have a go at the umpire and they’d say the same thing back to you. Now, you can’t touch them, you can’t question them ... they’ve just got so much power. They’ve even got numbers now. What’s that all about?

I am talking about the 1980's - Buhagiar came in 81, Otway 83,Antrobus 87 and Bewick 88. Antrobus was comfortable the worst of this quartet.

Harsh call. Could play, but never had a chance due to back/hamstring problems. 28 games in 5 years tells the story. He was highly rated by Judkins & the like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Antrobus never brought his SANFL form to the AFL - He won the Magarey medal at 21 and joined Essendon at 25 - Never got a good crack at the VFL because of injury, but nevertheless struggled through less than 30 VFL games - I am comfortable with my assessment.

Antrobus never brought his SANFL form to the AFL - He won the Magarey medal at 21 and joined Essendon at 25 - Never got a good crack at the VFL because of injury, but nevertheless struggled through less than 30 VFL games - I am comfortable with my assessment.

Played some good footy for you guys (and also kicked one of the most ridiculous goals I've ever seen at Waverley one evening), but just couldn't stay on the paddock. In 89 in particular there were a couple of points during the year where he was starting to hit his straps and live up to the wraps on him then bang, he'd be out for weeks with another injury. Missed basically a season and a half with back stress fractures, also hurt a knee, and his hamstrings continually pinged. Didn't do himself any favours by copping a couple of stupid (and lengthy for the time) suspensions, but on the whole just had a horrific run with injuries.

I seem to remember him having a more than handy outing against us in the QF in 89.

Last edited:
I think rather than just post 'bullshit' maybe tell us why you think differently. That would start a valid conversation rather than getting off on the wrong foot and potentially starting a flame war. Respect = Respect. Maybe be mindful of that in the future.
Sorry mate didn't realise u were still attending girls guides .. I said bullshit because the comment was bullshit, I'm not essendon or north Adelaide but the bloke had more ability then the pair off them and like a Neil daniher injury's ****ed their career and I remember sheeds saying premiership teams always need blokes with a bit of cnut in them and the Ant had plenty of this and that's why sheedy wanted him fit..

Sorry mate didn't realise u were still attending girls guides .. I said bullshit because the comment was bullshit, I'm not essendon or north Adelaide but the bloke had more ability then the pair off them and like a Neil daniher injury's stuffed their career and I remember sheeds saying premiership teams always need blokes with a bit of cnut in them and the Ant had plenty of this and that's why sheedy wanted him fit..
See? Wasn't hard was it? Still lacking respect though. Must be beyond you.

But for injury, Antrobus, IMO, would have been the best of the group quoted above e.g Buhagiar, Otway and Bewick.

I was lucky enough to do a few pre-seasons back in the late 80's. Antrobus was something else when injury free. Absolutely lightning quick...

But for injury, Antrobus, IMO, would have been the best of the group quoted above e.g Buhagiar, Otway and Bewick.

I was lucky enough to do a few pre-seasons back in the late 80's. Antrobus was something else when injury free. Absolutely lightning quick...

Agree with respect to buhagiar and Otway but Bewick had sublime skills and was a freak goal kicking small forward. Bewick had Antrobus covered but nevertheless Antrobus was a very good midfielder.

Agree with respect to buhagiar and Otway but Bewick had sublime skills and was a freak goal kicking small forward. Bewick had Antrobus covered but nevertheless Antrobus was a very good midfielder.

Yeah its a shame he never really got a chance to show how good he was.

When I first met Bewick I was shocked at how small he was. Good player, but IMO more a forward/rover than a rover/forward. I personally rate the first type higher, but thats just my opinion. More importantly, he annoyed other teams & their supporters a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back