Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

An update on games in September, no sweetheart deals:
A three-year deal with the ARU ended with Saturday night's Test against the Springboks at Patersons Stadium, but the ARU has signalled it will not take a step back over AFL demands that games are not scheduled in September at Patersons Stadium or the new Burswood complex.
ARU national operations manager Andrew Fagan was in Perth last week for discussions on future matches.
"We are involved in an international calendar and it is not easy to change a Test match schedule around other competitions. We'll meet that challenge," Fagan said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24923070/rugby-bosses-ignore-afl-fixturing-pleas/

An update on games in September, no sweetheart deals:
A three-year deal with the ARU ended with Saturday night's Test against the Springboks at Patersons Stadium, but the ARU has signalled it will not take a step back over AFL demands that games are not scheduled in September at Patersons Stadium or the new Burswood complex.
ARU national operations manager Andrew Fagan was in Perth last week for discussions on future matches.
"We are involved in an international calendar and it is not easy to change a Test match schedule around other competitions. We'll meet that challenge," Fagan said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24923070/rugby-bosses-ignore-afl-fixturing-pleas/
who cares what the ARU want the eagles and dockers are easily the biggest money spinners for the stadium year in year out. the management and bean counters need to work that out and play around their fixture

Patto's no more:
Real estate website Domain has been unveiled as new naming rights sponsor for Subiaco Oval.
Subiaco Oval will be used to host AFL matches for a further three years before games shift to the new Burswood Stadium in time for the start of the 2018 season.

WAFC officials found the new sponsor to take over the final leasing rights at Subiaco Oval in a deal that will help fill funding shortfalls faced by WA’s peak football body.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/26237600/new-sponsor-set-for-subi-oval/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't make sense. Dockers and Eagles have to play every week at the major stadium.
Rugby can and probably should play at other stadia.
Also the government has a history of re-assessing the value of international sporting events.
don't league already have a rectangular stadium in perth? Nib stadium that wouldn't average much

im sure they do as its internation exposiar for perth/WA and a good money spinner, but at the expense of the eagles and dockers games
?

That I dont understand. Modern Stadiums can turn over from day to day - the MCG regularly holds three games a week, ANZ stadium has held Australiqan football one day and league the next. Theres no reason why Eagles and Dockers games - which are only played on one day on any given weekend - should be affected.

No reason for the WAFC consortium bid for the new stadium management role being unsuccessful - footy can lose IF it tries hard enough, Wookie is right its not AFL footy or nuffink & the WAFC management at Subi demonstrates it understands what is required.
How many different sports can strut their stuff at the G in 2015 ,,, AFL footy is just one. Subi or the new stadium ..

Stadium should only ever be referred to as Subiaco Oval. **** these naming rates. I don't want to have to keep up with a new name every 3 years for our stadiums....
I can't understand why people whinge and cry over stadium sponsorship. That sponsorship money directly impacts on the game and the clubs - so why is that a bad thing? Are you against ball and uniform sponsorship? Are you prepared to spend more money on memberships and ticketed entry if sponsorship were to be stopped?

Are you prepared to spend more money on memberships and ticketed entry if sponsorship were to be stopped?

I can't speak for the Eagles but our membership prices have increased since Patterson's got the naming rights.

I can't understand why people whinge and cry over stadium sponsorship. That sponsorship money directly impacts on the game and the clubs - so why is that a bad thing? Are you against ball and uniform sponsorship? Are you prepared to spend more money on memberships and ticketed entry if sponsorship were to be stopped?
I was hardly whinging and crying, just said * the naming rights, I'm not following it changing every few years.

Comparisons to ball and uniform sponsorship are irrelevant, we don't change the name of the football to the "NAB ball" or the name of the team to the "SGIO Eagles" when they're on the jumper. Just because they've paid to rename the stadium, I don't have to follow it. They haven't paid me to follow this name. Most importantly, this is the 3rd name in 3 years, some others have been changing more often than that. It's just easier for me to stick with the original name.

I was hardly whinging and crying, just said **** the naming rights, I'm not following it changing every few years.

Comparisons to ball and uniform sponsorship are irrelevant, we don't change the name of the football to the "NAB ball" or the name of the team to the "SGIO Eagles" when they're on the jumper. Just because they've paid to rename the stadium, I don't have to follow it. They haven't paid me to follow this name. Most importantly, this is the 3rd name in 3 years, some others have been changing more often than that. It's just easier for me to stick with the original name.

Most people I know still call it Subi. I don't think the name change really affects anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back