Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what greeted someone at Subiaco the other day. From a facebook page, not sure if the admin took the photo or if it was reposted from somewhere else on the net. https://www.facebook.com/3874331113...7433111325413/646911778710877/?type=1&theater

10259866_646911778710877_9121970144224052778_n.jpg

I can confirm this seat is behind the goals at the Subiaco end, ******* disgusting.

How does that even happen? That's like something out of Victoria Park circa 1978.

I'm surprised the health and safety people haven't tried to close that joint yet.
Same. How is that three tiered stand not a health hazard? If you had anything happen and everyone had to evacuate, you'd be cooked (probably literally) if you were anywhere but at the top of the bottom level.

The whole western end should have been torn down 10 years ago.

What would happen though if, say, Subi is ruled unsuitable for humans to occupy? Where would WC and Fremantle play home games?

The only venue that could feasibly hold a decent number of people would be the WACA.

Otherwise they'd probably have to use a WAFL ground...

The whole western end should have been torn down 10 years ago.

What would happen though if, say, Subi is ruled unsuitable for humans to occupy? Where would WC and Fremantle play home games?

Good question. WACA is too small for footy these days in terms of ground dimension. Depends on which WAFL ground could be expanded the most conveniently with some temporary stands. Still wouldn't hold more than about 20,000 people though.

Good question. WACA is too small for footy these days in terms of ground dimension. Depends on which WAFL ground could be expanded the most conveniently with some temporary stands. Still wouldn't hold more than about 20,000 people though.

I reckon Steel Blue Oval would fit 20,000, when i was out that way, i took a heap of photos and was suprised at the amount of stands.

here we go ......

Bassendean Oval (officially Steel Blue Oval) is a sports stadium, located in Bassendean, Western Australia. The capacity of the venue is 22,000 people.

The record crowd is 22,350, for a WAFL match between Swan Districts and West Perth in 1980.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassendean_Oval

Probably Arena Joondalup. There's plenty of space around the ground as the grandstand there's pretty small. You'd be able to access it easily with cranes and construction sites. Even if hypothetically they needed a stop-gap starting from next season, you still have three years of weekly crowds of 30,000ish. So you'd have something quasi-permanent. Bring in cranes holding aloft video screens, place temporary seating to make it into a bowl... who knows how many you could fit. There were 13,000 there for the NAB Cup I think. The WACA manages almost two 'tiers' in temporary stands so you could probably double that.

IMG00031.jpg

The issue is how many people are going to tire of that massive trip? Especially Freo fans? And how good is public transport up there?

If you couldn't chuck up seating for some reason you might have to settle for Leedy. Which is the ground probably best serviced by public transport. Same goes for the Showgrounds but I've never been with it in football mode, so I couldn't say much more.

I'd like to see Freo host the Giants and Suns at Fremantle Oval though. Times.

It would only be for 2 or 3 years, with the new stadium on the way.

By the way, I thought we would have had the announcement of the winning bidder by now.

Probably Arena Joondalup. There's plenty of space around the ground as the grandstand there's pretty small. You'd be able to access it easily with cranes and construction sites. Even if hypothetically they needed a stop-gap starting from next season, you still have three years of weekly crowds of 30,000ish. So you'd have something quasi-permanent. Bring in cranes holding aloft video screens, place temporary seating to make it into a bowl... who knows how many you could fit. There were 13,000 there for the NAB Cup I think. The WACA manages almost two 'tiers' in temporary stands so you could probably double that.

IMG00031.jpg

The issue is how many people are going to tire of that massive trip? Especially Freo fans? And how good is public transport up there?

If you couldn't chuck up seating for some reason you might have to settle for Leedy. Which is the ground probably best serviced by public transport. Same goes for the Showgrounds but I've never been with it in football mode, so I couldn't say much more.

Isn't Joondalup train station like 400m from the Arena? Not 100% sure but I think I remember a West Perth supporting mate telling me this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asbestos all over the three tier stand. It falls from the roof. Breaking down after being up there for 40+ years... Thats what i have been told anyway....

I have been sitting in the 3 tier stand for years and I've never noticed anything. It may just be on the top tier because down the bottom where I sit is fine.

Has anyone ever used an AFL Membership for their team's home ground outside of Melbourne? As in, I'm curious as to how you use your barcode when there's no field to enter it in... This is in regard to the Freo - Lions game this Saturday night. Help?

Additionally, it is simply appalling that a game five days away against the equal worst team in the competition, doesn't have a single pair of seats next to one another. And the cost of sitting by yourself in some tiny, rickety seat is... $43 for a concession and $55 for everyone else. Absolutely insane for a game of football, let alone a s**t one.

Its a cost of joining the AFL not your club.

Has anyone ever used an AFL Membership for their team's home ground outside of Melbourne? As in, I'm curious as to how you use your barcode when there's no field to enter it in... This is in regard to the Freo - Lions game this Saturday night. Help?

Additionally, it is simply appalling that a game five days away against the equal worst team in the competition, doesn't have a single pair of seats next to one another. And the cost of sitting by yourself in some tiny, rickety seat is... $43 for a concession and $55 for everyone else. Absolutely insane for a game of football, let alone a s**t one.

$43 dollars. You might want to double check if it's in an alcohol free area.

IMG00031.jpg

Live 10 min walk from there, parking is a major issue for WAFL games, the area was in lockdown for the pre season AFL game which had around 12k and was chockers.

That photo though does not look right to me though.

Isn't Joondalup train station like 400m from the Arena? Not 100% sure but I think I remember a West Perth supporting mate telling me this.

Yes, the station is quite a hike from the ground. Shortest route station to Arena takes you through the already very busy shopping centre which would be interesting on match day.

As for distance away for travelling fans - don't forget Cockburn was a prime option for the new stadium - if it was felt fans would travel there , then why not Joondalup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back