Patrick Dangerfield - potential GOAT?

Could Patrick Dangerfield become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly in the discussion for top 50 all time greatest...H&A players. Where he would be ranked within the top 50 i don't have the time to rank him but has an excellent H&A career.

As for finals ranking...

No chance.

Like I have stated in the Dusty thread IMHO the GOAT prospects working back in time go GAJ, Carey, Lethal Leigh,…

Before that I can’t really comment.
In reality there is a quite even playing field in the tier below that, which includes many players that are all rightly considered champions. It's not an insult to be below the ones you mentioned. And I feel that way whether it is players of the club I support as much as others.

I do think Franklin probably deserves a mention as the power forward of this generation. It's difficult to see it replicated any time soon, if not ever, much like Martin's 3x finals series during those flag years (so he is rightly in the conversation for best finals player ever).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez we are getting bored in the bye week with threads like this..
I think Dangerfield could have been the goat if it weren't for injuries hampering him.
That game he played in 2017 against Hawthorn was Ablett Sr like.

I think Dangerfield could have been the goat if it weren't for injuries hampering him.
That game he played in 2017 against Hawthorn was Ablett Sr like.
At no stage in his career has he been the best player in his team.. let alone best player in the league and laughable to even consider GOAT..

My question Id ask is whether he breaks the top 20. But between 20th and 30th is definitely an argument you could make.

Is he top 15 mids?

Easily 15 non-mids in the best 30 ever.

It's really difficult to say isn't it.

I'm not making this about my own team but to give an example of how many great players we are discussing here, would Dangerfield be ranked Geelong's best midfielder when you take into consideration the likes of Billy Goggin, Gary Ablett Jnr & Joel Selwood?
You could make a decent argument he has surpassed Paul Couch, Garry Hocking & Jimmy Bartel by playing a significant role in the 2022 premiership.

When you expand this further to every club from the past 50-70 years . . . . I personally wouldn't have him near my top 15 all-time midfielders list.

I do agree, if you could pick a player who was a brilliant rover and could also go forward and immediately impact a game, Dangerfield would be up there. So many of those types though. Akermanis, Jarman, Martin, Hird and then going back to the likes of Reynolds, Barassi etc.

Maybe top 30 all time but never got close to Goatness status.
true...

Dont want to start a poo fight between Dustin Martin and Paddy Dangerfield, because it could end up like the equivalent of pro Donald Trump and anti donald trump fans fighting each other in the streets.

both players are good.

Dangerfield would be rated well below players like Ben Cousins and Simon Blsck in this discussion, is prob even a rung under Pendlebury, Scott West types.

Dangerfield went missing in too many important finals… he had the opportunities but didn’t take them.
Players who take the opportunity and perform thier very best when it matters are in Goat Discussions.
I think this is probably a bit harsh, he down own a Gary Ayres medal for best finals player, but I do concur he’s not in the GOAT discussion (either is Dusty) that discussion belongs between Matthews, Carey & Ablett Snr.

I think this is probably a bit harsh, he down own a Gary Ayres medal for best finals player, but I do concur he’s not in the GOAT discussion (either is Dusty) that discussion belongs between Matthews, Carey & Ablett Snr.
I don't think people realise Dangerfield was carrying injuries in several finals.
Too often he carried us on his back during the home and away leading to him being battered and bruised come September.
Chris Scott realised this and managed Dangerfield during the home and away last year, resulting in Dangerfield dominating the finals and winning the finals MVP. He was very stiff to miss out on the Norm Smith.

The reality is that danger could be the goat

But to be the goat he needs to beat the goat so all he needs is

4 norm smith medals
3 Gary ayres medals
3 more flags

So I guess it is possible

Nah.

Dangerfield is no where near GOAT and never has been. Outstanding player though.

Back