Autopsy Patrick Dangerfield approached to join the AFL Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks Dangerfield is a moron probably doesn't quite 'get' how he works. He's clearly an intelligent bloke, likes to have a laugh, well spoken, long list of leadership credentials, well-liked enough by the players (as head of the AFLPA) and has shown he can see things objectively from a player perspective (AFLPA work etc).

Don't think he'd have any 'influence' at the Commission as a player anyway, but the amount of Bonds y-fronts in a twist over the speculation is amusing. Geelong are seemingly the illuminati of the footy world.

Of course, there have been precious few suggestions of anyone better suited to a Commission role than Dangerfield, too.

Not being a moron doesn’t excuse him from being a w***er.

Shirley sharing confidential information is the key blocker. Cant see how you avoid that

Hawks president Newbold had to resign form hawks board when going on the commission Why

For all the reasons any current club person can’t be on the comission

I'm surprised that you don't seem to get the problem of having an existing player on the "independent" commission, whether or not you think he will have any influence?
Compared to grabbing a chairman from a blue chip company, putting a recent player on the comission is a win, win.
Of course he will soon morth into retirement and give up his presidency, so it will be a recently retired player (on the comission).

Well it's obviously a brilliant idea.

Geelong already run the show. This just helps make it a little more formal.

Dangerfield the stand out option, just ahead of Dustbin and Tex. ;)
Why not have all three?

Imagine Goyder trying to chair Commission meetings.

Goyder:

“I’d like to open this meeting by saying…. …. Dustin, put the chopsticks down please. And if you’re going to bring a companion to these meetings, please make sure she has a top on.”

“And Taylor, when I said I’m bringing this meeting to order, it doesn’t mean it’s time for you to put your request in for a burger and fries. Dinner will be served after we adjourn.”

“As I was saying, … oh for *s sake Patrick, put the phone down. The worlds seen enough ******* selfies of you already.”

If he was retired for a few years completely detatched from the Geelong Football Club, I don't think too many people would have any issue with it.

While being a player and also the AFLPA it's laughable to suggest he could be on the commission.

If he was retired for a few years completely detatched from the Geelong Football Club, I don't think too many people would have any issue with it.

While being a player and also the AFLPA it's laughable to suggest he could be on the commission.

Didn’t vlad go straight from AFLPA to afl ceo?

Compared to grabbing a chairman from a blue chip company, putting a recent player on the comission is a win, win.
Of course he will soon morth into retirement and give up his presidency, so it will be a recently retired player (on the comission).
The key word is independent how is the Captain of an AFL club going to be independent?

Recently retired player would be the correct choice, wanting Dangerfield on an independent commission is yet another AFL brain fart, when he retires no problems.

If Danger gets on and pushed his cause for shorter games then nothing is more certain than he’s pushing his own agenda.

Shorter games were absolutely trash during Covid and they will lose the fans in an absolute droves if they ever go down that path.

Lucky for us, I doubt the TV networks would ever accept that push.
Looks like it is exactly what he intends to do. I agree with you shorter games are a terrible idea. We are the most unique and best sport in the world for many reasons, and we remain this way because we don’t follow trends in other sports. We have large numbers on the ground, big ovals, long games, no offsides etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goyder and gill are making some absolutely astonishing calls recently. Completely incompetent. There are so many great candidates available for the commission yet it seems filled with people that are old fuddy duddy business people.

The most important areas to have covered are:
  • club admin experience (Andrew Ireland)
  • media knowledge (Eddie, hutchie, koch)
  • entertainment (Cochrane)
  • political connections (Gillard or bishop)
  • playing knowledge (De boer)
  • northern states experience (Ireland, koch, Cochrane, Matthews, de boer).

The current commission is very much lacking in the key skillset's. Those listed above are doers with success in sport and a massive list of contacts and pull across all important landscapes in Australia.

How about Jeremy Cameron, he has no issues with boundary violations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back