Opinion Pendles vs Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

You're not watching close enough TD.
Not to the levels of Selwood admittedly.

Well all players play for Free Kicks a bit. That is thanks what Selwood’s have Brought to the AFL

Because he's a Collingwood player, it's simple really.

As we saw with Dunstall and Brown's commentary on Saturday, no matter how hard the media try to act unbiased when it comes to us, they can't.

Everyone grows up hating us, so they hate our players and through that bias want to down grade our club, our players and their achievements at every step.

It's just part of the deal, that those from other clubs, while they maybe not as good as a Pendlebury, Swan or Cloke, will be rated higher because they aren't Collingwood players.

Imagine how badly Duckwood would been Hated IF he played for Collingwood.

The AFL would of cracked down on his Playing for Free-Kicks

He is a champ but certainly no choirboy when it comes to lowering the body to draw a free. Must admit it has made me cringe a few times late last year and this year, but he is not on the same level as Selwood, Thomas and Christiansen (who is horrendous).

Best player of the last 5 years.

2010 - First All Australian, Norm Smith. Probably on the edge of the top 5 players in the comp, managed to finish 3rd in the brownlow. Back when the umps actually acknowledged his impact.

2011 - Best player in the comp, by a margin in my mind. Swan wins the brownlow due to compensation for 2010 and Pendles gets robbed. Best season i've seen by any player in my 10 years of watching footy. AA wing somehow, should have obviously been the first on baller.

2012 - Incredible start to the season, leading brownlow, all media awards and is actually acknowledged by much of the media as the best player in the comp. Gets injured and comes back very late in the year. Still manages AA.

2013 - Best player in the comp. After being acknowledged as the #1 player in 2012 before injury he comes back in 2013, wins the coaches award and many media awards and is now streets behind Ablett and behind Selwood apparently. He's a 25 year old Collingwood player without a famous name, time to forget about him. AA.......... wing. my god. again.

2014 - Carries us all season, wins many media awards and champion data recognise him as the player of the year. Debate as to whether he should be AA, manages to sneak onto the bench to the dissaproval of many of the stupidest football fans i've ever come across. Wasn't even part of the AA captain debate, bugger off Selwood.

2015 - Killing it, while visibly sore. Brownlow contention, 13 votes in my count(probably 2 in the actual count...) AA captain at this point.

I would trade Pendles for no one, not Fyfe, Bont or Buddy. Yes he is 27 but he is the best player in the comp, a terrific leader and will play till 35+ as he has shown the durability and the desire to be a very very long term player

The discussion that OP is referring to is talking about first hundred games... And looking at just their first 100 games I would agree that Pendles wasnt as good as the other 3. In fact i distinctly recall that I, and probably a number of others, thought that Daisy would end up being the better of the two.

I also think that the media currently rates Pendles very highly - and accurately. He has been listed in the top 2 or 3 in the game for a few years now, and was considered number 1 in the game for a brief period this year (after Abletts injury and before Fyfe, deservedly, got all the attention)

Don't even consider Selwood as a top 10 midfielder because he lacks consistency, pretty sure I'm alone though :L
I'm with you.

Selwood actually gets tagged out of games quite regularly - Friday night for example. At least 1 out of 3 games he has very little impact. But the media love to beat him up as a courageous warrior so neither that nor the free kicks thing seems to matter.

Pendles on the other hand very, very rarely has a game with little influence. He's probably the most consistent player there is in the comp and along with Ablett has been for a good five years now.

I'm with you.

Selwood actually gets tagged out of games quite regularly - Friday night for example. At least 1 out of 3 games he has very little impact. But the media love to beat him up as a courageous warrior so neither that nor the free kicks thing seems to matter.

Pendles on the other hand very, very rarely has a game with little influence. He's probably the most consistent player there is in the comp and along with Ablett has been for a good five years now.

Yeah exactly. Selwood's best is staggeringly good, but he's incredibly inconsistent, I'd go as far as to say that he only turns up in 1 of every 2 games, the rest he's relatively quiet. He's also someone who hasn't really improved past those initial 100 games, so what you see in those stats is what you get, whereas with Pendlebury he's still improving slowly but steadily.

Oh god, this turned into a Pendlebury love fest quite quickly and I'm not even sure any of you paid attention to the OP outside of dansa didaksrightfoot and Bard

Is Pendles better than Selwood now? Yes, comfortably skill wise and will have tangible evidence to back up the claim, HOWEVER, the question was around the FIRST ONE HUNDRED GAMES

Were Selwoods first 100 better than Pendles? Yes, yes, a million times yes. This isn't a Selwood bashing thread or a Pendles **** kissing competition, it's a comparison of a set volume of games.. I almost feel like everybody is trying to troll Nicco_jj right now :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

As an overall career, I think I would take Sellwood.
And that's not only the first 100 games.
Has been consistently a player who could turn the game to his teams advantage. He has on many occasions willed himself to get his team over the line.
I cannot say that of Pendles.
They are simply different types of players.
Love Pendles. Love the way he plays the game.
But Sellwood has him, before and post 100 games.

Anyone who doesn't think Pendlebury is on their level is blind. He is a better player than Selwood right now, and at their best, they are neck and neck.
Who would you want at a centre bounce with under a minute to kick a winning goal?

Can't stand him but I think I would have J Selwood as that guy who can will himself and his team over the line.

All great players who are slightly unique.

In another year they will be saying Fyfe is the greatest...

Pendlebury is a victim of his pace. It's that simple. If you look at the Brownlow medallists of the last few years (outside Watson) and all the midfielders that get talked about, they're all explosive and quick, bullocking mids. Peddles is just a thief in the night. He kills you with a thousand paper cuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think its an issue. Any club would love to have either. We currently lack someone with the mental toughness as Selwood. People can whinge about his head ducking as much as they want but he keeps putting his head in the right spot to get those frees. We would love it if he played for us.

I dont see the need to get upset if someone thinks player X is better than player Y

Adams is as hard as Selwood.

Just an aside....but can you even imagine how good Pendles would have looked in those great Geelong teams 07--011?
Selwood is a champ though, a younger fitter Luke Ball.

The modern game of aussie rules is very intense, messy and congested. As such the media and supporters are skewed towards the fast paced players who burst out of the messy, congested packs.

But Pendles has got more talent than any other midfielder in the league except Ablett. Selwood doesn't even come close, he's a very courageous, very physical and useful midfielder. But he would be incapable of doing the things that Pendles does or seeing the things Pendles sees on a football field.

Don't get me started on the Brownlow, most stupid, meaningless award that doesn't even go close to representing the best players in the competition.

The correct order for rating those top end midfielders in recent years has been:
1. Ablett
2. Pendlebury
3. varies from year to year with no clear 3rd player.

--
Obviously Ablett has been hurt this season. Then Pendlebury probably hasn't played quite like himself with his niggles limiting his performance enough to drop him behind others. And J.Selwood hasn't been himself either this season with his swollen hand. This combination of the usuals being down has led to Fyfe and Lewis playing the strongest football so far through their respective midfields with Robbie Gray also in that conversation.

--
Many have correctly identified that it was certainly in 2010 Ablett then Swan, then from 2011 it has been Ablett then Pendlebury as those top two mids.

I call it Buckley syndrome.

Just as good as Hird and Voss while wasting most of his prime in some awful football sides. Plays a full season in 1998 and 1999 and he wins another couple of Brownlows. Yet consistently get dismissed in favour of he other two.

Pendles is liked more by neutrals, but still suffers from the Collingwood stigma. Even if the OP was talking about their first 100 games, it's still baffling Selwood is seen as an equal to the great man.

As an overall career, I think I would take Sellwood.
And that's not only the first 100 games.
Has been consistently a player who could turn the game to his teams advantage. He has on many occasions willed himself to get his team over the line.
I cannot say that of Pendles.
They are simply different types of players.
Love Pendles. Love the way he plays the game.
But Sellwood has him, before and post 100 games.

Pendles can turn games with his Vision and Excellent Disposal.

Harder to see the Selwoods In and Under Style and Ablett’s Take the Game on Style

For mine Scott Pendlebury equals Robert Harvey and Joel Selwood equals Luke Ball

Pendles has a bit more (see LOT more) class than Harves....Harves was a ball magnet and a gut runner....more like Swanny. Pendles is more like Ian Stewart....(look him up!!) classy left footed midfielder, beautiful to watch....deadly to play against.

Pendlebury being an extra 10cm doesn't help him.

Pendles - He does not Duck and Play for Free Kicks

Selwood ducks to brake tackles, lower centre of gravity. He raises opponents arms so he can get under it and break free easier, the umpires just happen to pay him free kicks for it. Its not like Lindsay Thomas who blatantly goes for the duck risotto.

Selwood developing a technique that allows him to break tackles and give him free kicks shouldn't make him a worse player. Pendlebury has even adopted it. Though being 10cm taller and the fact that Pendlebury tries to find space and avoid the tackle more often then not weather Selwood just tries to brake it means Pendlebury uses it allot less.

To be honest i'm fine with people comparing the best players of the 2010's, I have Pendles well ahead of Selwood, others don't. No worries.

But what I absolutely hate is people saying that Selwood is better because he 'wills himself at the contest' and has more impact when his team needs him than Pendles does. Selwoods in and under style is just that, it's a style of play not a form of greater commitment.

Champion Data confirmed what I have always known, Pendlebury is the best clutch player in the game. Just with a completely different style of play.

Selwood - Strength in and around the contest, clears the ball while still in the contest.
Pendles - Moves gracefully in and out of traffic to clear the ball with great vision without being tackled.
Fyfe - Constant movement and strength to break tackles before clearing the ball.
Ablett - Uses speed and agility to break from the opposition players before clearing.

These are 4 different clearance styles, Ablett isn't inferior to Fyfe because he can't use the same abilities to break strong tackles and clear the ball, it's not a skill that he hasn't developed yet. It's just a different style completely, for the same result. Applies to all 4 and many more.

Pendles has a bit more (see LOT more) class than Harves....Harves was a ball magnet and a gut runner....more like Swanny. Pendles is more like Ian Stewart....(look him up!!) classy left footed midfielder, beautiful to watch....deadly to play against.
My dad's mate hates footy, his wife's family are all mad Richmond supporters and would always talk about footy and would s**t stur him. Anyway one day found out his uncle was Ian Stewart, his last name is actually Cervi (italian), well the next family dinner he told me he gave it to them about it, that his uncle was one of the Richmond greats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back