News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

I am depressed after reading want could (and should) of been, what a boon for the club this could of been. Lets hope someone else revisits this in the not to distant future
At the time we hadn't won the right to host the Commonwealth Games so I think the Council were hesitant to approve things in Carrara where as they seem more willing now. What do you think about the article I posted below that? It seems to suggest Metricon will be upgraded permanently with the extra $156m they are receiving at the federal level. I suppose this means they'll scrap the plans for a huge temporary grandstand up the northern end and upgrade it properly. I'm hoping they have enough money to extend the roof all the way around too.

At the time we hadn't won the right to host the Commonwealth Games so I think the Council were hesitant to approve things in Carrara where as they seem more willing now. What do you think about the article I posted below that? It seems to suggest Metricon will be upgraded permanently with the extra $156m they are receiving at the federal level. I suppose this means they'll scrap the plans for a huge temporary grandstand up the northern end and upgrade it properly. I'm hoping they have enough money to extend the roof all the way around too.

I fear that they are talking about the sports facilitys surrounding the stadium as shown in many of the pics you have posted Matchu rather than the stadium seating as we have been hoping. Time will tell.

I fear that they are talking about the sports facilitys surrounding the stadium as shown in many of the pics you have posted Matchu rather than the stadium seating as we have been hoping. Time will tell.
No doubt some of it will go to the new Carrara Sports and Leisure Centre as well as an Athletics track according to the article but surely there is enough money between the federal funding of $156m and the state funding (not sure what it is but I know it's more than the federal contribution) to afford a proper upgrade to the main stadium? They are saying $40m may go to the cycling facilities in Brisbane but GC MPs are already trying to make that not happen. I think the actual plans for Carrara come out later this year so, as you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Something tells me the reason they have been given $156m in funding has to do with us not embarrassing ourselves on the world stage. Either way, it'd be awesome to have a permanent 40,000 seat stadium on the Gold Coast. No more relying on Brisbane for big events.

Personally i'd prefer if the money was spent on the surrounding precinct instead of a permanent upgrade to the stadium. I think, no matter how successful we become we would struggle to fill a 40,000 seat stadium to capacity. A larger stadium that is not regularly filled just adds an expense the club doesn't need. A regularly packed out 25,000 seat stadium with the best possible surrounding facilities is preferable to a half filled 40,000 seat stadium with decent surrounding facilities imo. Matchu What possible event can yo see being able to fill a 40,000 seat stadium on the Gold Coast?

Personally i'd prefer if the money was spent on the surrounding precinct instead of a permanent upgrade to the stadium. I think, no matter how successful we become we would struggle to fill a 40,000 seat stadium to capacity. A larger stadium that is not regularly filled just adds an expense the club doesn't need. A regularly packed out 25,000 seat stadium with the best possible surrounding facilities is preferable to a half filled 40,000 seat stadium with decent surrounding facilities imo. Matchu What possible event can yo see being able to fill a 40,000 seat stadium on the Gold Coast?
State of Origin? A Socceroos match? A Wallabies test? A big musical concert?

I get the impression they are going to upgrade the stadium as well as the surrounding precinct. At least that's what I'm hoping. The Suns still have a few years to grow their attendances and I think you really have to fill at least 50% to make it worth it. So if they are averaging around 20,000 a game by 2018 (if they don't get there then they won't be far off considering their premiership window will be wide open) then I think it's reasonable to play in a stadium like that. I believe a fixture against the like of Collingwood could pull in excess of 30k if they do it right.

State of Origin? A Socceroos match? A Wallabies test? A big musical concert?

I get the impression they are going to upgrade the stadium as well as the surrounding precinct. At least that's what I'm hoping. The Suns still have a few years to grow their attendances and I think you really have to fill at least 50% to make it worth it. So if they are averaging around 20,000 a game by 2018 (if they don't get there then they won't be far off considering their premiership window will be wide open) then I think it's reasonable to play in a stadium like that. I believe a fixture against the like of Collingwood could pull in excess of 30k if they do it right.
It hard to know, but I don't think Metricon would ever be considered to host a rectangular field sport. I just don't Metricon is a very attractive spot for those sort of large events when Brisbane is just down the road, has a stadium better equipped for the events and better access to the stadium.

Gold Coast sporting teams have a terrible record of staying afloat, you know this best. It's too early to predict how the Suns will go with crowd averages imo. A 20,000 average is probably a good guess but who is to know how the crowds go when the club goes through a tough patch and a 40,000 seat stadium would look extremely bare, that would no be a good look for the future of AFL on the coast.

I might be in favour of an upgrade it were only to 30,000 seats or something not so large but I just think 40,000 seats is way to big. As I said earlier it think it would be far better to have a smaller stadium filled to the brim weekly than a big stadium that might get to 85% capacity twice a season.

It hard to know, but I don't think Metricon would ever be considered to host a rectangular field sport. I just don't Metricon is a very attractive spot for those sort of large events when Brisbane is just down the road, has a stadium better equipped for the events and better access to the stadium.

Gold Coast sporting teams have a terrible record of staying afloat, you know this best. It's too early to predict how the Suns will go with crowd averages imo. A 20,000 average is probably a good guess but who is to know how the crowds go when the club goes through a tough patch and a 40,000 seat stadium would look extremely bare, that would no be a good look for the future of AFL on the coast.

I might be in favour of an upgrade it were only to 30,000 seats or something not so large but I just think 40,000 seats is way to big. As I said earlier it think it would be far better to have a smaller stadium filled to the brim weekly than a big stadium that might get to 85% capacity twice a season.
I've said in the past that I think the ideal outcome is to make the stadium 35,000 seats after the Comm Games. I understand what you're saying but I truly believe 25,000 will be too small in the not too distant future.

Travis Auld was on the radio on Sunday, and someone (Wayne Carey?) asked about Metricon and the Commonwealth games upgrade. Travis said that the 40,000 would be temporary, and would return to 27,000 which was the Suns' preferred capacity. The two reasons he gave were the improved atmosphere of a smaller capacity stadium, and the economic side of things.

Travis Auld was on the radio on Sunday, and someone (Wayne Carey?) asked about Metricon and the Commonwealth games upgrade. Travis said that the 40,000 would be temporary, and would return to 27,000 which was the Suns' preferred capacity. The two reasons he gave were the improved atmosphere of a smaller capacity stadium, and the economic side of things.
Interesting. I wonder if the Suns would have any say if the state gov said it had to be permanently upgraded. Either way, the Suns are obviously still in favour of a temporary upgrade. Seems a bit of shame/waste of money to upgrade it and then just demolish it.

Temporary seating is pretty cheap to set up. The WACA does it every 4 years for Ashes tests. It's definitely for the best as the club would get the most income from reserved seat memberships. Too large of a capacity ground will result in memberships dropping as people favour buying tickets at the gate.

Think I've already said this on this subforum somewhere but I'd like to see the terrain of the Northern end flattened so temporary stands would be easy to put in/out should the Suns host a final (as mentioned similar to WACA with Ashes)

Looks like council doesn't wanna fund 1cebt to the light rail stage 2 ... Dtate giv won't fund anything if that's the case

Looks like council doesn't wanna fund 1 cent to the light rail stage 2 ... State gov won't fund anything if that's the case
Not surprising. Tate has never been overly fond of the project. I've got a feeling we'll have to wait until a change of government before stage 2 happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey lads starting to read through it now but a quick question. Planning on going to the game with a few mates (fellow uni students) and saw their was standing tickets avaliable for 22 dollars which is outrageously cheap. Has anyone used it before and is their a catch other than standing for the day? Cheers

or at least until Labors debt is paid back ;)

We both know a change in government is much more likely to occur before the debt is completely wiped.

Hey lads starting to read through it now but a quick question. Planning on going to the game with a few mates (fellow uni students) and saw their was standing tickets avaliable for 22 dollars which is outrageously cheap. Has anyone used it before and is their a catch other than standing for the day? Cheers

Not that I'm aware of. Pretty good view from all the standing areas.

We both know a change in government is much more likely to occur before the debt is completely wiped.

Not that I'm aware of. Pretty good view from all the standing areas.
I stood for the Collingwood game in 2011, It was alright if you don't mind standing for the entire game.

Not that I think it's going to happen BUT there is talk the 2022 FIFA World Cup may be stripped from Qatar and a revote may occur (see here). The FFA seem interested in rebidding so Metricon may undergo different renovations if we were to be successful in our bid. The original plans were to permanently upgrade Metricon to 40,000 seats so it would host matches in the group stage, round of 16 and quarterfinals. Here is an artist's impression of what the stadium would look like if that were to occur:

WopP1Um.jpg

You can see that under those plans both the second tier and the roof will be extended all the way around while the first tier will be tampered with. If you look closely enough you can see the roof actually doesn't flow completely around. This has to do with the leftmost light pole being awkwardly positioned. Probably most importantly, it would appear it is still able to host AFL games in that mode. To give you a bit of an idea as to what would need to be done, here is the current stadium from virtually the exact same angle:

Hb9pa53.jpg

Last edited:
Not that I think it's going to happen BUT there is talk the 2022 FIFA World Cup may be stripped from Qatar and a revote may occur (see here). The FFA seem interested in rebidding so Metricon may undergo different renovations if we were to be successful in our bid. The original plans were to permanently upgrade Metricon to 40,000 seats so it would host matches in the group stage, round of 16 and quarterfinals. Here is an artist's impression of what the stadium would look like if that were to occur:

WopP1Um.jpg

You can see that under those plans both the second tier and the roof will be extended all the way around while the first tier will be tampered with. If you look closely enough you can see the roof actually doesn't flow completely around. This has to do with the leftmost light pole being awkwardly positioned. Probably most importantly, it would appear it is still able to host AFL games in that mode. To give you a bit of an idea as to what would need to be done, here is the current stadium from virtually the exact same angle:

Hb9pa53.jpg
New government both state and federal would prob still try and push for something that isn't permanent ..I wouldn't be suprised if there was a revote, how do we now that it wouldn't go quatrain way again...
Australia was involved in this farce as well don't forget. Apparently we paid off some guy for our vote.. The only vote we recieved.

If we do somehow get 2022, it makes more sense to expand Robina Stadium rather than Carrara.

I remember going to the 2011 International Rules match, rectangular sports should not be played on oval grounds

If we do somehow get 2022, it makes more sense to expand Robina Stadium rather than Carrara.

I remember going to the 2011 International Rules match, rectangular sports should not be played on oval grounds
Robina wasn't designed to be upgraded. Carrara was.

I think there may also be an issue with Robina not being FIFA complaint as they booked a Socceroos game there a few years back and mysteriously moved it to Melbourne not long after, with no explanation. Plenty of ovals have hosted soccer matches in the past so I don't think it's a big issue.

The final will be hosted at the MCG... So that's a good example of an oval hosting the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The final will be hosted at the MCG... So that's a good example of an oval hosting the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing was decided on where the final would have been played and ANZ stadium was just as much of a chance to host the final as the MCG.

Queensland State Budget: What it means for the Gold Coast
TREASURER Tim Nicholls threw the spotlight on $160 million in funding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games today when he handed down the 2014-15 State Budget.

There were few other sweeteners listed for the city worth mentioning, so Mr Nicholls put the focus on the money that would continue to roll out for projects needed for the Games in four years.

Most of the Games funding will be sucked up by the athletes village at Parklands, while there is also money for the Carrara super sports precinct and Coomera sports and leisure centre.

The $14 million allocated to demolish and sell off the old Gold Coast Hospital in Southport was one of the few surprises in the budget. The announcement comes eight months after the hospital was vacated. Mr Nicholls pointed out the government had made funding decisions with a focus on reducing the state’s $80 billion of debt and $4 billion interest bill.

Budget at a glance for Gold Coast

1. $160m Games funding

2. $11m for redevelopment of Gold Coast Turf Club into home of Gold Coast Show

3. $119m confirmed to upgrade Smith St and improve the Smith St-Olsen Ave interchange

4. $38m confirmed to continue widening of M1 between Worongary an Mudgeeraba

5. $14m to demolish and sell off the old Gold Coast Hospital in Southport

Nothing new here, just further confirmation the Comm Games will receive $160m funding from the state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back