Game Day Pies v Hawthorn, 5 August, 4.35pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hawthorn is a particularly strong case to drop him, as I have several memories of Sicily eating him for breakfast

Given the circumstances (2 games clear on top prepping for finals), wouldn’t that be an argument to play Cox?

I have too many memories of losing to Hawthorn in decades past and a very fresh memory of losing to Carlton.

This is as good a day as any for some kick-arse footy to reset these ugly flashbacks.

Last edited:
AJs four VFL goals last week came from marks and set shots. That’s all he needs to do… get some separation, marks inside50, and kick well. It’s why he’s in the side and why cox is out.

This 100%.

I'm replying to this post because I couldn't resist the opportunity to repeat that AJ shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

The hawks, our bogey team for as long as I can remember.
Always nervous coming up against them because they seem to always have the wood on us.
Will settle in on the couch with Saturday Arvo beers and see how the boys go after last week’s disappointing result.
Big game from Twitch to show the hawks what they gave up!

He could have had six I believe. Missed one from 5 metres out, and also I think I read he dished one off that he could have kicked himself.

AJ has many 6 goal games in him and I hope we see one today.

Will be at the ground.

With bells on.

This 100%.

I'm replying to this post because I couldn't resist the opportunity to repeat that AJ shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

AJ was dropped for Mihocek / McStay. Nobody would argue AJ should keep Mihocek out of the side. And McStay had a breakout game last week.

I guess the selection committee weren’t quite ready to let go of the Cox / Cameron combo. Unsurprising given our problems with centre clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Win today anD we are three games and percentage clear of third spot with three games to go….and almost mathematically guaranteed a home QF.
I don’t think there’s much intrigue left in our spot in the top two until we drop the next two for example. I’m personally more interested in who finishes top 2 alongside us. Melbourne run the board, IMO, which pushes them past Brisbane and Port with their attrition will be lucky to win 2 more H&A matches from here which leaves them 4th. Can the Dees catch us? Jeez we’d have to s**t the bed!!

Does it? I'm not sure Cox getting beaten soundly and pushed further into poor form helps him at all. He needs to regain touch at reserve level, or he won't make it back

If we won the game and Cox got to sing the song afterward, then he’s not going to have gotten beaten soundly. It’s about team results. And better that players get the experience in round 21 rather than finals.

It’s exactly the same argument we’ll have for N.Daicos when he has to deal with his hard tag this afternoon.

If we won the game and Cox got to sing the song afterward, then he’s not going to have gotten beaten soundly. It’s about team results. And better that players get the experience in round 21 rather than finals.

It’s exactly the same argument we’ll have for N.Daicos when he has to deal with his hard tag this afternoon.
I don't think the argument that applies to Daicos, who when "struggling" is still one of the premier players in the competition, applies to Cox. If we don't think Cox will be in our finals side (which he shouldn't, with how poor he has been) then make the move now.

We can't afford to carry someone who struggles to play 50% TOG (before being subbed out). That is just crazy!

I don't think the argument that applies to Daicos, who when "struggling" is still one of the premier players in the competition, applies to Cox. If we don't think Cox will be in our finals side (which he shouldn't, with how poor he has been) then make the move now.

We can't afford to carry someone who struggles to play 50% TOG (before being subbed out). That is just crazy!

Cox at his 2023 best plays finals.

Cox at his 2023 worst plays VFL.

Obviously we’re dealing with the latter at the moment. But things can change, who knows? Barely 5 months ago people were scoffing at the idea of a Suns / Richmond reject having any relevance in a side that may / may not end up playing finals.

A player needs to perform their role regardless of the result. In this particular instance the match committee chose to omit Cox because he didn’t meet the standards of his role. If you continue to pick players on the basis of results you become a club not a team ala the Australian cricket club of the late naughties.

Your following comment was correct though that at his best Cox is in our best 23. His problem is that he’s running at about 50% of that capacity at the moment.

AJ was dropped for Mihocek / McStay. Nobody would argue AJ should keep Mihocek out of the side. And McStay had a breakout game last week.

I guess the selection committee weren’t quite ready to let go of the Cox / Cameron combo. Unsurprising given our problems with centre clearances.

I see your angle 76.

In my view, we pick the best 22 football players (allowing for fitness) each week. AJ is firmly in that group.

I recognise that my simplistic thinking is one of the (many) reasons I'm not coaching the Pies today.

P.S: I've always been on the McStay train. Very happy to see him do well.

Given the circumstances (2 games clear on top prepping for finals), wouldn’t that be an argument to play Cox?

To me, the Mason Cox issue is what a quality interceptor like Sicily can do if matched up on him. If we want him in the team for the finals, I think we would have played him in order to aim to get him better at reducing the impact of the interceptor - or exploiting them for playing too loose on him. To me, not playing him today suggests he's unlikely to return this year, barring injury.

I see your angle 76.

In my view, we pick the best 22 football players (allowing for fitness) each week. AJ is firmly in that group.

I recognise that my simplistic thinking is one of the (many) reasons I'm not coaching the Pies today.

P.S: I've always been on the McStay train. Very happy to see him do well.
I'd change it to best team, as we need a balance of roles.

I'd change it to best team, as we need a balance of roles.

You just posted that so Collingwood hires you as coach instead of me, pineapple boy.

7wnxf8.jpg

I don’t think there’s much intrigue left in our spot in the top two until we drop the next two for example. I’m personally more interested in who finishes top 2 alongside us. Melbourne run the board, IMO, which pushes them past Brisbane and Port with their attrition will be lucky to win 2 more H&A matches from here which leaves them 4th. Can the Dees catch us? Jeez we’d have to s**t the bed!!

Yeah my post was purely mathematical really but a milestone nonetheless. Each week that goes by you want to solidify your ladder position until it’s locked in.

As for who is top two beside is, not fussed. If it’s Melbourne we get a home ground advantage QF. If it’s port or Brisbane we might get a home ground advantage PF, which is arguably more beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back