Players from other teams that you find intimidating

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious; as a Hawks fan I really have to admit I'm pleased we won't be seeing Tom Hawkins again this year. I don't necessarily think we'd have lost to Geelong, but I've only made it to the footy twice this year - got to see us lose to Geelong at Etihad, and lose to Geelong at MCG. (Before that I got to see us lose the Prelim to Collingwood, so just to reassure other Hawks fans, I'm never going to the football again).

But it got me thinking about this - eg. would fans of other teams be worried about Lance Franklin in the same way? To me, Buddy is kind of hit and miss - he might turn up and destroy a side, or might have a shocker. So do people go to a game thinking "please lord don't let him cut loose".

Over time I've seen a few players that consistently worried me - there was Carey's period of dominance when North used to beat up on us, and I had to hide behind the couch during Q4 of the 1989 GF because I knew nobody could stop Ablett. Over the past few years I've had to deal with Jimmy Bartel bobbing up and doing something magic every time we looked like pinching a game.

But are there particular players going round at the moment who make you chew your fingernails a bit, or who your club just can't find a match-up for?
Played them at the G both times.

Ablett at geelong, he is still good against us, but makes no difference.
Franklin, i hate him but cmon he seems to be able to just turn it on at any time, can hold him for 100 minutes and still suffer.

But number 1 is probably didak, if he is out form put him up against sydney we run him into form.

Judd used to be

Goodes, The Pav, and this...man
220px-Justin_Westhoff_(Port_Adelaide_Power).jpg

I think the most intimidating players for me are guys like Didak, Stevie J, Milne, Betts. Guys that can just play 15 minutes of good footy, and kill you.
Agree. I'd also add Cyril to that particular batch. His fwd pressure, perceived or real, creates massive doubts in both opposition defenders and their supporters.

Brent Harvey, he's been very damaging throughout his career.

Cyril. Can change a game in a couple of minutes. He, more than any other player, makes me nervous whenever he is within 50 metres of the ball and even more nervous when within 50 metres of a Geelong player with the ball, because he is usually on to the opposition player before they even seen him. Would make a brilliant assassin.

The worst part about it is that when Cyril gets going, so to do the rest of the Hawks players and, especially the supporters. He has the ability to lift his whole club more than any other player in the league in my opinion. That makes him a bloody scary opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+1 for Milne, because when he gets the ball I flashback to all the times he's absolutely destroyed us. It takes a while because there is so much to remember.

Can't believe he hasn't been mentioned yet, Jonno Brown.
For sheer power, Brown would have to be up there with the most intimidating. Pavlich and Cloke in a 1-on-1 are there too. Sandilands height would concern many. Franklin and Milne have great speed and agility that would surely keep defenders nervous.(that's right, I compared Milne to Franklin :p)

It depends on how you define intimidating, but I'd hate to be standing in front of Merritt waiting for the ball. He may not be often described as intimidating, but Daniel Merritt has injured more players this year (including teammates) this year than anyone. He throws his body, leading with a big rusty fist, into and over packs in a clumsy tangle of knees and elbows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back