Polls Thread Mk III

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine Abbott's popularity has improved recently as he has managed to get the budget off the front pages and has looked statesmen like with Iraq and Ukraine (though in reality Australia is essentially useless in both issues).

True but as pjcrows says it's not much anymore. They look on track for a narrow election win.
don't Know about that

anything under 45% in the primary coalition loses easily

Only once the coalition won an election with a primary vote under 45% and a swing over 4% against it, the howard government in 1998, Howard survived because of the big landslide win in 1996

Abbott government majority government at the moment is 14 seats

IMO

in Qld the LNP are looking at a lost of 8-10 seats

nsw coalition looking to lose upto 5-7 seats

vict - coalition looking to lose upto 3-4 seats

s.a coalition looking to lose upto 2-3 seats

w.a coalition looking to lose 2-4 seats

Tas coalition looking to lose 1-2 seats

Last edited:
don't Know about that

Only once the coalition won an election with a primary vote under 45% and a swing over 4% against it, the howard government in 1998, Howard survived because of the big landslide win in 1996

IMO

Well yeah but that's in 2 year's time. Based on current results.

I stand by what I've been saying even throughout the post-budget collapse in primary vote - they'll retain a majority in 2016.

Well yeah but that's in 2 year's time. Based on current results.

I stand by what I've been saying even throughout the post-budget collapse in primary vote - they'll retain a majority in 2016.

We may get a better idea , midway next year

If the coalition primary is around 35-37% , the election is over for Abbott can't see how the coalition is going to pick up , after promising in a 2nd term there will be cuts and more tax rises e.g GST

cost of living will continue to rise

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Libs have locked themselves in as a far right ideological government and the people wont cop it, you can have Murdoch on your side and the shock jocks but the populace are not fooled that easy twice. I'm tipping things just keep getting worse for this mob and they will get flogged at the next election.

The Libs have locked themselves in as a far right ideological government and the people wont cop it, you can have Murdoch on your side and the shock jocks but the populace are not fooled that easy twice. I'm tipping things just keep getting worse for this mob and they will get flogged at the next election.

John Howard managed to fool the population twice. Of course for him to do it he happily lied about parents throwing their children off a ship.

I think it will depend on what Labor can offer when they decide to move out of the shadows. At the moment it is easy for them to sit back as the Government struggles to sell it's agenda, but at some point they are going to have to present as an alternative government, and it's how well that they can do that may hold the key to the next election.

I think it will depend on what Labor can offer when they decide to move out of the shadows. At the moment it is easy for them to sit back as the Government struggles to sell it's agenda, but at some point they are going to have to present as an alternative government, and it's how well that they can do that may hold the key to the next election.

Hence why IMO they won't win.

Labor has such a good opportunity to go back to its roots this election. They should just come out and say that they are going to raise taxes for every income bracket with the increase being slightly higher for each bracket. Just come out and say it. I think because of all the bleating the Abbott government has done about the budget emergency the Australian public will welcome not being lied to and if they do not vote for Labor after Labor tells the truth about what they are going to do then the Australian public deserve what they get with Abbott in his second term.

don't Know about that

IMO

All that breakdown is done at Poll Bludger as well, which would generally agree with you.

However re 45%, not necessarily important if the PUP primary vote flows to the Coalition. These are extraordinary times, where a 'conservative' party is taking chunks of Coalition primary votes, but the Coalition maintains most of them in 2PP terms. In the same way that Labor can win government easily from <40% primary vote.

Hence why IMO they won't win.
I agree that they have to do a good job of selling themselves, mind you Abbott did not offer much of an alternative government, it was very thin on policy, just a few three word slogans chanted and sit back as Labor internally combusted and he won.

I agree that they have to do a good job of selling themselves, mind you Abbott did not offer much of an alternative government, it was very thin on policy, just a few three word slogans chanted and sit back as Labor internally combusted and he won.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/09/julie-bishop-malcolm-turnbull-popularity-cabinet

Link to an interactive regarding ministerial performance.

Julie Bishop is now the most highly rated cabinet minister. Hockey has slid to last.
I think if Abbott tanks, post riding this ISIS/Ukraine stuff for all it's worth, Bishop will replace him before the next election. Morrison seemed to be who the hard right were grooming, but it's all fallen apart for him.

I imagine Abbott's popularity has improved recently as he has managed to get the budget off the front pages and has looked statesmen like with Iraq and Ukraine (though in reality Australia is essentially useless in both issues).
Looked nothing like a statesman, more a chest beating flog, which like the "turn back boats", rubs the bogan set well in the marginals.

However, the G-dubbya act will wear think quickly, as the spin machine can't really mask the poor domestic performance, waft of corruption and economic stuff for long.

When prices don't and youth unemployment don't go down and economic growth does not dramatically go up, those spending cuts and tax removals will stick hard in the craw of voters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back