Polls Thread Mk III

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe the betting markets have a better prediction track record than most polls.

A lot of those predicting a Coalition victory would be Labor voters thinking the task is too hard. Doesn't change their vote though. We saw this with the Qld election. It was considered an almost impossible task to come back from the previous drubbing.

In reality the result will end up within a couple of points of the median polls prediction.

There's a distinct lack of seriousness to election betting markets, and they're indirectly based off the survey polls anyway plus oh-so-measurable 'vibe'. Much simpler to pay attention to the polls and skip all that other crap.

(This idea punters are somehow geniuses on elections while losing money on everything else is laughable, by the way)

There's a distinct lack of seriousness to election betting markets, and they're indirectly based off the survey polls anyway plus oh-so-measurable 'vibe'. Much simpler to pay attention to the polls and skip all that other crap.

100% incorrect - sorry mate but you've got no idea. The difference between markets and polls are that people are putting their money down which makes a world of difference.

100% incorrect - sorry mate but you've got no idea. The difference between markets and polls are that people are putting their money down which makes a world of difference.
Wouldn't those markets be affected say, if $5000 was place on LNP and only $100 on Labor?

So this government won't run full term as Malcolm promised...? Can we add that to his broken promise of leading a mature economic debate which doesn't rule things out and run scare campaigns?

Having a PM in a panic is not a good look.

I think the tradition of polls squaring up when an election is called is going to happen once again.

I don't disagree but I think its more when they put their money down. 15 weeks out says to me the speculators are betting. Show me the betting markets a week out :)

Trend not good for the Man from Goldman Sachs.

Newspoll: dozen seats in danger for Malcolm Turnbull

Queensland is emerging as a problem state for Malcolm Turnbull’s government, which is also losing ground in Victoria, Western Australia and NSW as it counts down to a July 2 election. The Coalition has also suffered a fall in support among men and country voters which is more than double the overall decline in its primary vote, according to an analysis of Newspoll surveys conducted exclusively for The Australian in the first three months of this year.

In the battleground state of Queensland, Coalition support has dropped six percentage points in two-party terms since the 2013 election. However, it remains ahead with 51 per cent of the vote in two-party terms in the state, where it holds six seats by a margin of 6 per cent or less and a further four seats by between 6 per cent and 7 per cent....

The state-by-state and demographic breakdown of Newspoll surveys of 7508 people in the March quarter comes at the start of what could be a three-month run to an election and suggests the Coalition is on track to retain power with the loss of about 10-12 seats, leaving a reduced majority for Mr Turnbull to govern.

While support for the Coalition is higher in every state and on every measure than it was in the final quarterly poll under Tony Abbott’s leadership, the government is facing an overall fall in its primary vote of 1.6 percentage points and a two-party-preferred swing against it of 2.5 percentage points.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...l/news-story/d537527be314e8fe161904c9ef83c78f

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Local Libs are conceding Hindmarsh already, and nobody has any money, SA is going to be a nightmare for them.
If Xenephon puts someone in Boothby its said he can take that from the Libs and a good Xenephon candidate would run Pyne close

If Xenephon puts someone in Boothby its said he can take that from the Libs and a good Xenephon candidate would run Pyne close
ALP should have won Boothby in 2007, if they had put a decent candidate instead of Nicole Cornes up, they would have beaten Southcott easily, Kevin Foley should never be forgiven for that one. I'm no Xenophon fan, but I am broadly supportive of anything that would keep Nicole Flint out of parliament.

ALP should have won Boothby in 2007, if they had put a decent candidate instead of Nicole Cornes up, they would have beaten Southcott easily, Kevin Foley should never be forgiven for that one. I'm no Xenophon fan, but I am broadly supportive of anything that would keep Nicole Flint out of parliament.
Like a rabbit in the headlights

Libs currently lead 53-47 in SA. Wait until Abbott shows up - will reverse thst result.

If Newspoll have assumed 'Others' preference the same as last election, 47% will be underestimating the Labor 2PP vote. The large bloc of Xenophon voters will preference Labor more strongly than PUP/Family First voters did in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back