Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta love a thread about Port‘s guernsey getting spammed by chugzjizza, a Crows/Sturt supporter with a massive shoulder chip.

Great post.

I don't blame Collingwood though. For years they've come to associate black and white as 'their' colours and unfortunately for Port, they were in the AFL first.

I genuinely respect and admire Port's heritage. I really like the black/teal/white V design but understand why they want the prison bars, however, I reckon incorporating some teal into the prison bar design is a beaut way to honour the heritage of the Port Adelaide Magpies, as well as the tradition and heritage forged by the Port Adelaide AFL teams. Irrespective of how the teal came to be part of the club's colours, it's part of Port's AFL heritage. Something to be proud of.

Didn't mind this version.

View attachment 963145

I don't know why we didn't have this jumper from day1.
Far better representation of Port Adelaide than the V we have now..

This could be the home jumper then we don the complete black and white on heritage occasions or v the crows if we are allowed.

Do people not like this one?

1602045805116.png

This could be the home jumper then we don the complete black and white on heritage occasions or v the crows if we are allowed.

View attachment 979579
No it's horrid it's like defacing the mona lisa.

View attachment 979579
Um no.

Respect everyones view on this.

I think the reality is well never be wearing our famous jumper week in week out in the AFL.
I grew up watching port at Alberton through the 80s and 90s so i would love nothing more.

I just dont see what the current V jumper has to do with anything, i prefer our original AFL jumpers.

Respect everyones view on this.

I think the reality is well never be wearing our famous jumper week in week out in the AFL.
I grew up watching port at Alberton through the 80s and 90s so i would love nothing more.

I just dont see what the current V jumper has to do with anything, i prefer our original AFL jumpers.
The original AFL guernsey designs are a 1990s hey dude it's hammer time calamity, unless you worked for SBS I'm not sure what meaning you think they have over the Chevrons which are at the least a strong simple footy design.

The original AFL guernsey designs are a 1990s hey dude it's hammer time calamity, unless you worked for SBS I'm not sure what meaning you think they have over the Chevrons which are at the least a strong simple footy design.
The 90s/00s Port power jumpers are pure cringe embarrassment. The current chevron version is fine but nothing compared to the real deal of the prison bars.

Werribee wears this in the VFL. Got no problems with. Just wish Richmond in the VFL changed to one of their 1st nicknames the Wasps.

Attachments

• 79B049E8-435A-420D-B97C-A5E794CF21B4.jpeg
    79B049E8-435A-420D-B97C-A5E794CF21B4.jpeg
    20.5 KB · Views: 38

View attachment 979579

Needs a big pumping fist on it

I do not like the prison bars and like teal as a colour. I grew up watching the power and magpies were before my time, I get the historical element of the prison bars but its also a bit disrespectful to the AFL era and identity. I started a hashing of #notealnodeal years ago as a joke but I stand by it now!

At the end of the day we joined the AFL and it would have been stupid to have 2 teams have the same colours and similar designs, especially in such a small competition. Perhaps if we had our time again we may have gone down a different path but you cannot rewrite history or just forget 25 years.

1602045805116-png.979579

No it's horrid it's like defacing the mona lisa.
I understand it is a bastardisation of your heritage rich prison bar guernsey, but would you not prefer that to your afl guernseys if the proper prison bars are never allowed? if so im curious to which ones you prefer to the compromised teal prison bars
Port-Home-1997.gif
Port-Away-1997.gif
Port-Away-2003.gif
Port-5a.gif
Port-Clash-2007.gif
Port-Clash-2009.gif
Port-Home-2020.gif
Port-Away-2018.gif
Port-Clash-2020.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand it is a bastardisation of your heritage rich prison bar guernsey, but would you not prefer that to your afl guernseys if the proper prison bars are never allowed? if so im curious to which ones you prefer to the compromised teal prison bars
Port-Home-1997.gif
Port-Away-1997.gif
Port-Away-2003.gif
Port-5a.gif
Port-Clash-2007.gif
Port-Clash-2009.gif
Port-Home-2020.gif
Port-Away-2018.gif
Port-Clash-2020.gif
I think their current jumper is a ripper.
It’s not the real deal port jumper obviously but it’s a solid design in its own right.

I do hope they get to wear the traditional jumper far more often in future. They have every right to celebrate their history. It’s a great strength they have over other new clubs to the competition and one the AFL should support

Last edited:
Port-Home-1997.gif
Port-Away-1997.gif
Port-Away-2003.gif
Port-5a.gif
Port-Clash-2007.gif
Port-Clash-2009.gif
Port-Home-2020.gif
Port-Away-2018.gif
Port-Clash-2020.gif

You can't separate the guernsey design from the history behind it. These things aren't worn in a vacuum. The compromised bars aren't a Port Adelaide guernsey. How they look aesthetically is meaningless in this discussion really. We don't want to wear the bars just because they look good.

We want to wear our guernsey. We want to bring the most famous symbol of our 150 year old football club into the modern era on an ongoing basis.

You can't separate the guernsey design from the history behind it. These things aren't worn in a vacuum. The compromised bars aren't a Port Adelaide guernsey. How they look aesthetically is meaningless in this discussion really. We don't want to wear the bars just because they look good.

We want to wear our guernsey. We want to bring the most famous symbol of our 150 year old football club into the modern era on an ongoing basis.
yer, prison bars is your identity to most port fans.
So having prison bars with teal isnt seen as having a guernsey that is closer to your guernsey but instead would be seen as an imitation that stands out as not port adelaides true identity, in which you'd rather wear current AFL guernsey?

I do hope you beat the pies in the GF wearing the prison bars ;)

Last edited:
They were accepted into the AFL with teal involved. Not sure why they suddenly want to change it. I’d go the prison bars with teal involved, it’s their identity now.
Fremantle were accepted into the AFL with red and green too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A lot of the posts in this thread are simply “do it to stick it up the pies”

And there lies the issue, you’re not telling me if the Team admitted had been Glenelg the tigers would not have had an issue?

Of course they bloody would, and this isn’t the premier league this is the AFL each team has a distinctive identity- ours is the black and white stripes. We were in this league first, we have had this as our identity longer than port adelaide.

The problem is we give an inch, they take a mile, first it’s the showdown, then it’s every home game-before you know it is their main jumper and try as you might- this jumper blatantly matches ours

Eddie has made a perfectly good suggestion, if the prison bars are so important- add teal to the pattern

Yeah it’s a joke that the afl let them get away with it in 2010 grand final we were higher ranking team but had to wear our away strip I was spewing st kilda didn’t stand our ground

Adding to my further point, while we won the minor premiership I actually agree St Kilda has a legitimate beef with our jumper with our change to the black backs

I actually prefer the original white backs and think we should revert to it

And there lies the issue, you’re not telling me if the Team admitted had been Glenelg the tigers would not have had an issue?

I keep seeing this argument come up, Glenelg and Richmond wear the same design
Port and Collingwood are distinctly different

Better examples would be Norwood/Melbourne/West Perth or North Adelaide/Sydney - i.e. similar colours but differing designs

Gotta say I love the passion on both sides, real tribal.

My view from purely an observation of history.

Port first adorned the prison bars in 1902, Collingwood wore the black and white stripes in the competition since 1897.

This is Ports first jumper
1602132963781.png

These are Ports jumper at the same time that Collingwood wore the black and white stripes in this competition.

1602133082628.png

If Port want to wear their traditional jumper I don't think anyone, HQ included would have a problem with it.

What the problem is that Port's fans want their team to wear the prison bars, because that's what they identify with. Fair enough, can understand the want.

What you can't do is be in the league for 5 minutes (figuratively speaking) and demand that your team is allowed to wear a jumper that clashes with an original member club of the competition that was wearing black and white before this club anyway. That's just insulting and reeks of unwarranted entitlement.

What you all expect the highest profile sporting organization in the country just give away it's own heritage so your team can wear what is not it's original jumper anyway?

And then some of you take offence when you're told to GAGF? Yeah nah, pull your heads in!

Im a mad liverpool supporter, you think I lose my sh*t at the fact there's copious amounts of teams we play that wear the same colour as we do, or the fact that we have to wear abstract colours when playing away to those teams.

You my friend may have some close minded biased filled glasses on when approaching this topic but I do not. I couldnt and wouldn't give a stuff if a team entered the afl or sanfl with a jumper that looked somewhat similar to ours or was the same colour scheme.

Its the biggest form of flattery that Collingwood believe that the iconic prison bar brand is so strong that it would some how negatively impact them to the point where they have to fight against us using it for the past 23 years.

That's the point, nobody has any interest in wearing your s**t colours, which is why your trying to wear ours.
Maybe try Pink on again?

A lot of the posts in this thread are simply “do it to stick it up the pies”

I wouldn't have a problem - they can wear the yellow sash in all home games and away as well (except when playing Richmond. Both sides would wear their own clash jumpers when playing away).

A yellow-sash-on black vs black-sash-on-yellow matchup would look great.

It's laundry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back