Port chasing King?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the David not Wayne type. According to today's tiser Port are looking for a replacement for Hardwick and think King fits the bill. Probably a late draft selection at agreed salary ... other clubs may be interested too.

Ford Fairlane said:
That's the David not Wayne type. According to today's tiser Port are looking for a replacement for Hardwick and think King fits the bill. Probably a late draft selection at agreed salary ... other clubs may be interested too.

Get stuffed i do not want him. I do not want to do a crows and pick up has beens. anyway was he not on white line fever last night saying he would only play for the ROOS

No, although the Hardwick strategy has really worked well particularly in the last two months.

King is really two years too old to have the value that we would be looking for.

Provided Carr stays on and Francou and Primus return to the fold, we will have a stronger and physically tougher side next year. In fact our midfield could have a very hard edge.

We are all excited by the development we anticipate in the games of Surjan, Salopek and Ebert, while Symes and Peel could also pleasantly surprise us.
Hopefully Mahoney will be able to maintain the standard he has set this year.

We are potentially going to look bare in the toughness stakes when the likes of Francou and James hang up their boots in 2-3 years. Our priority should be to anticipate these guys' retirements and start rebuilding our stocks from now. Recruiting 32yr olds clearly won't achieve that need.

After the weekend it was pretty obvious that if Carr stays with us, we will be around the mark for at least the next 2years. Carr is a must to sign on. Couldn't really see any replacement for him playing the role he does as well as we have grown accustomed to.

As long as James and Francou and Hardwick to a lesser extent show our younger guys the way to play (hard at the ball) then really restocking is not a mjor concern. Cornes is already starting to show signs of being a topline midfielder, the kid is desperate. Cassisi will get better as he gets stronger, Salopek is untried almost, Ebert hasn't run through the midfield with any consistency yet.

But if they all saw what it took to win on Sunday then we are on the right step. It is a matter of developing a culture of strength. Brisbane have developed it through Voss and younger players of the ilk of Hadley and Notting who may have floundered without that leadership at another club have learnt and been protected somewhat and are being led into how to play successful football.

Slowly we are learning too. I'm more worried about finding another CHF after Wazza.

I'd rather target McManus than King at this stage, I reckon.

Porthos said:
I'd rather target McManus than King at this stage, I reckon.

Id prefer to develop youngsters such as salopek, ebert, surjan, peel, symes etc and maybe evn hassan

we dont need recycled players unless they are pretty special

PJ Power said:
No, although the Hardwick strategy has really worked well particularly in the last two months.

King is really two years too old to have the value that we would be looking for.

Provided Carr stays on and Francou and Primus return to the fold, we will have a stronger and physically tougher side next year. In fact our midfield could have a very hard edge.

We are all excited by the development we anticipate in the games of Surjan, Salopek and Ebert, while Symes and Peel could also pleasantly surprise us.
Hopefully Mahoney will be able to maintain the standard he has set this year.

We are potentially going to look bare in the toughness stakes when the likes of Francou and James hang up their boots in 2-3 years. Our priority should be to anticipate these guys' retirements and start rebuilding our stocks from now. Recruiting 32yr olds clearly won't achieve that need.

After the weekend it was pretty obvious that if Carr stays with us, we will be around the mark for at least the next 2years. Carr is a must to sign on. Couldn't really see any replacement for him playing the role he does as well as we have grown accustomed to.

Spot on - James & Fransou become our Hardwick as they "Mature" (ie Cameo Tough Guys).

No need for more old top ups now we have our own coming through unless they're V. special.

A couple of developing ruckman, a young hard nut & best available, preferably South Aussies.

(apols for getting way off topic!!!)

PJ Power said:
Exactly. I'd even say it's not so much the hardness he's provided that is important, it's the confidence that hardness has given our other players in themselves. If we at least make the Grand Final then our players will continue to have that confidence in themselves and won't need another party - ie. Hardwick - roughing up the opposition and settling them in order to have it. There is no reason to chase King. Largely another case of journalists totally missing the point of one of the moves by the coach (eg. Tredders held by Scarlett the latest example of footballing journalists not having a clue).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ford Fairlane said:

I am hoping it is just paper talk. King was a great player but at 32 he has little to offer Port as a player. I believe the club still has a policy whereby it does not recruit players older than 28 and I can't see Port going against that for King.

We have good depth all over the ground however I think we need one more class midfielder and hopefully Francou can fill that position next year.

In my opinion it would be a terrible deicision to draft King. Why not draft and develop our own inforcers that will stay with us for 10 years instead of drafting 32 year old ones.

No, he's not. He just has `shinboner spirit'.

Realistically we should be looking at drafting a couple of negative back pocket types anyway this year, and I'd expect that they would be available in the second and third rounds.

Go for blokes with a good engine and a bit of mongrel and we can afford to teach them football from there.

But we're really close to a premiership and we just need to top up our list with ... oops, sorry, wrong Board ... ;)

sog35 said:
How old is McManus out of interest?

Dont want either thanks.....Stick with the young lads coming though. We wernt good enough for King before.....He's not good enough for us now :cool: ....especially at 32 :eek: ........Go See Dennis Mr.King!!

As for McDuck.....please :rolleyes:

Eago77 said:
Would rather Dimma stay on another year. With his form an a lower salary, why not offer him another 1 yr contract?

His knees are stuffed. He's made it pretty much clear he virtually can't play on.

If Port are looking for an older hard nut type in the midfield Scott Burns would still be a good get. SA player, would be happy to come home I'd expect.

This site would melt down if we got Burns. The Collingwood folk around here see him as the soul of the club at the moment.

So it would be an even better get :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back