Game Day Port v Sydney Round 2, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Redden's ....
Zero hit-outs to half-time. Holy cow!
Until I read this post I wasn't fully aware of this, but looking at the stats now I can understand a lot more why I felt we were absolutely destroyed in the clearances.

2 weeks and 2 demolitions in the clearances. Even worse tonight though was that we were forced wide and slowly around the boundary with every clearance yet when they got one they strolled forward almost uncontested and scored.

Your team contains an embarrassing assortment of duckers and floppers. Cheers.
Yet every 2 seconds another Sydney player dived forward for an 'in the back'. Never seen a side dive so much in my life. I mean they're a bunch of scragers, constantly pushing the rules but the flopping/diving was out of control.

Sydney smashed us around the clearances, broke our tackles at will and always seemed to have at least 2 of their players running back hard defensively.

Schultz - what was that song .. lead out chest mark kick a goal..

Simply put they had far more effective players, more contributors and some of their players worked much harder than some of ours than us on the night. It shows how much more we have to improve both individually and as a team..

Pittard looked your best tonight. Haven't seen much of the guy, but he looks a real good talent with some nice skills.

Sydney are a bloody great team, and you guys had a hell of a game last week in Fremantle.
Pittard is a super footballer and was clearly BOG for us. He gets put under epic pressure as per our game plan but does the job most of the time. Sadly tonight the only time I felt confident was when he had the ball and given he is known for a mad moment or 2 that is a worry

On another note is Schulz injured? Those 2 shots at goal in the 3rd were half kicks without a follow through and by the 3rd shot I could tell his confidence was shot and Picked him not making the distance from 45M. It was a real issue and I hope he is alright. Either that or he should deserve the same wake up call the rest of our team should get.

On another note is Schulz injured? Those 2 shots at goal in the 3rd were half kicks without a follow through and by the 3rd shot I could tell his confidence was shot and Picked him not making the distance from 45M. It was a real issue and I hope he is alright. Either that or he should deserve the same wake up call the rest of our team should get.
His goal kicking has been erratic at best last year and this.

Always talked up as one of the best set shot kickers right until he misses.

Pittard is a super footballer and was clearly BOG for us. He gets put under epic pressure as per our game plan but does the job most of the time. Sadly tonight the only time I felt confident was when he had the ball and given he is known for a mad moment or 2 that is a worry

Agreed re Pittard, and Schultzy as well, he definitely wasn't following through after his foot made contact with the ball.
Only 2 kicks and 18 handballs could also suggest there is something not quite right with the skipper too, he looked as flat as a tack last night.

It was garbage. All that hype about the pre match leading up to the game and it fizzed. Kochie walking around the oval with a microphone talking to a couple of disinterested, ageing pop stars and then still standing there in the goal square talking to them as the ball was bounced was just embarrassing.
This s**t needs to be dropped or we run the real risk of becoming all tip and no iceberg.
Agree completely with these posts. It was terrible. Keep things the way they were and focus on the main game of winning football.

Agreed re Pittard, and Schultzy as well, he definitely wasn't following through after his foot made contact with the ball.
Only 2 kicks and 18 handballs could also suggest there is something not quite right with the skipper too, he looked as flat as a tack last night.
Boak took a couple of big hits last night. Teams are hitting us hard. We are too nice. Gray was one of the few players that looked physically and mentally tough enough last night. Most didn't look up for the fight imo

Monfries looks inept overall at present. Slow, fumbly, completely ineffective if he has an opponent within 10m of him. His modus operandi is to go to ground diving forward. Then there is his kicking. He should not lead anywhere near the ball if he is going to mark more than 15m out from goal. He can't kick over a jam tin to save himself.
Thought this all last year and its nice to read others see this as well. Very obvious flaws in his game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where this belongs but here goes. Adelaidemetro need to pull their finger out with their trains. Initially the usual late Saturday scheduling of one an hour was going to happen. I went in and the board said platform 8 at 11.12. When I got there it was platform 7 but there were already scads of people there and I was never going to get on. Then there was an announcement it would be platform 6 and finally platform 1. I got to platform 1 and the notice on the platform said Outer Harbor but the computer board in the train said Grange. This was OK as no-one took any notice of it but when we got to Woodville the computerised voice started saying change for Outer Harbor. As we were already on the Outer Harbor line(right of the station building) most of us knew this was not correct but some got off. I'm wondering when they got home and whether they'll put their lives in the hands of Adelaidemetro any time soon.

I think maybe next time after an AO game I'll just arrange to stay with my parents at Netherby. No huge amounts of people on the Mitcham Square bus late at night.

Boak took a couple of big hits last night. Teams are hitting us hard. We are too nice. Gray was one of the few players that looked physically and mentally tough enough last night. Most didn't look up for the fight imo
we are too small. its been mentioned breifly in the past but in reality we are physically too small. constantly losing clearances, tackles, contested possessions. no point having a team of fleet footed lightweight runners who look very pretty running wide getting easy possesssions if you cant physically match it with other teams. the bigger bodies of sydney taught us a lesson, we were outfootballed at the basic things you need to do to be a good football team.

we are too small. its been mentioned breifly in the past but in reality we are physically too small. constantly losing clearances, tackles, contested possessions. no point having a team of fleet footed lightweight runners who look very pretty running wide getting easy possesssions if you cant physically match it with other teams. the bigger bodies of sydney taught us a lesson, we were outfootballed at the basic things you need to do to be a good football team.

Agree totally but the players can't put size on now. That had to happen in the pre-season

Mentioned briefly?. I have been banging on about it for years. So has Ford. Seanybruz will tell you about our long discussion that my worry with getting Burgess when it was rumoured in late August 2012 was that we would be skinny middle distance runners not big bodied hard arses under his strategy. Rondinelli in his podcast explained how we are dropping muscle mass so we can run more. Bugger running and slingshot footy. When you have enough strong big KPF and KPD you get away with have big bodied mid fielders who concentrate on winning footy not playing slingshot footy.

I hope Saturday nights results wakes up those people who thought if we made the GF we could have beaten Sydney. I have written before there is no way we could have bashed and crash Sydney like the Hawks did. They are physically big enough to match Sydney. Sure we might have had a 10% chance but finals footy is brutal. We were given a lesson in brutality Saturday night.

Hawthorn and Sydney are the bench marks and daylight to the next group of teams, because they have the right structure down the spine have the right number of experienced players and the right amount of big bodied physically strong mids with enough fast outside runners - not lots of fast outside runners with no KFP's.

Last edited:
Agree totally but the players can't put size on now. That had to happen in the pre-season
They players cant put on size because they have been directed to take it off.

Most of the problem comes before the pre-season with the selection of the players. A 190cm/85kg player can put on muscle and get to 190cm/95kg but they cannot magically become a 195cm player, we simply do not have enough strong players between 195cm and 205cm. The only one's we had on the ground were Trengove, Redden, Ryder and Westhoff. And with 3 of them with barely an pre-season or gametime and the other woefully out of form it's not surprising we were monstered.

Mentioned briefly?. I have been banging on about it for years. So has Ford. Seanybruz will tell you about our long discussion that my worry with getting Burgess when it was rumoured in late August 2012 was that we would be skinny middle distance runners not big bodied hard arses under his strategy. Rondinelli in his podcast explained how we are dropping muscle mass so we can run more. Bugger running and slingshot footy. When you have enough strong big KPF and KPD you get away with have big bodied mid fielders who concentrate on winning footy not playing slingshot footy.

I hope Saturday nights results wakes up those people who thought if we made the GF we could have beaten Sydney. I have written before there is no way we could have bashed and crash Sydney like the Hawks did. They are physically big enough to match Sydney. Sure we might have had a 10% chance but finals footy is brutal. We were given a lesson in brutality Saturday night.

Hawthorn and Sydney are the bench marks a d daylight to the next group of teams, because they have the right structure down the spine have the right number of experienced players and the right amount of big bodied physically strong mids with enough fast outside runners - not lots of fast outside runners with no KFP's.

I thought Rondinelli said we are dropping weight and increasing lean muscle mass because we are lifting heavier weights this season?

We get it, you've got a hard on for big contested marking players. It would be nice if we had some, but we don't, and no amount of preseason is going to change our players physiology.

My take on it is if everyone played the same style this game would be a boring as * contested quagmire of ball up after ball up where it's only drafting or trading luck (Roughead, Franklin, Tippett, Walker) that makes you a contender. What we have is a lot of endurance runners, so we use those strengths. We play the cards we are dealt.

I thought Rondinelli said we are dropping weight and increasing lean muscle mass because we are lifting heavier weights this season?

We get it, you've got a hard on for big contested marking players. It would be nice if we had some, but we don't, and no amount of preseason is going to change our players physiology.

My take on it is if everyone played the same style this game would be a boring as **** contested quagmire of ball up after ball up where it's only drafting or trading luck (Roughead, Franklin, Tippett, Walker) that makes you a contender. What we have is a lot of endurance runners, so we use those strengths. We play the cards we are dealt.
So we arent really contender then. Just a good team who will go the distance win plenty of games and might luck out in late September with innovation. I will have to pare back my expectations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back