Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rightly so as well. Who wouldn't do everything in their power to keep a 22 year old 200cm ruck/forward who just had a season where he kicked 55 goals?

The issue wasn't trying to keep Tippo - the issue was the sloppiness of the deal.

The issue is knowing what we did with his contract.
When you consider we backed ourselves into keeping him despite:
1. His willingness to be traded to brisbane. Consider that he had to be a flight risk because he was happy to go. When we approached him about Brisbane's offer he gave it the thumbs up.

2. The contract we signed.

Between those 2 things the veto was trigg sized **** up of the highest order

But in ordinary circumstances without the above? You're probably right.

Genuine question - is this actually true or just bigfooty scuttlebutt?

Sanders is referring to the end of 2011, when we were sitting on the ticking time bomb of the dodgy deal. The story goes Brisbane offered pick 8 for Tippett and Rendell but we wanted Polec or Redden as well, and they baulked.

Not the end of 2009 when we actually made the deal.

Brisbane published the official story to the supporters on the end of trade period podcast with the recruiting team. They used to do this and talk about what deals were done, why, and what didn't get done and why. It was on the AFL site.

They confirmed they offered #8 straight up or #12 + end of first round compo (pick 20 I think).

We wanted 12 and either redden or Polec included. Which they launched at.

They claim we nearly had a deal done for 12 & 20 but couldn't get it over the line. Rendell and Noble had supposedly recommended it, but we're told no by the Triggmeister

The issue is knowing what we did with his contract.

Absolutely. Its that illegal contract that stuffed it up.

When you consider we backed ourselves into keeping him despite:
1. His willingness to be traded to brisbane. Consider that he had to be a flight risk because he was happy to go. When we approached him about Brisbane's offer he gave it the thumbs up.

2. The contract we signed.

Between those 2 things the veto was trigg sized **** up of the highest order

But in ordinary circumstances without the above? You're probably right.

Can't fault any of that.

Brisbane published the official story to the supporters on the end of trade period podcast with the recruiting team. They used to do this and talk about what deals were done, why, and what didn't get done and why. It was on the AFL site.

They confirmed they offered #8 straight up or #12 + end of first round compo (pick 20 I think).

We wanted 12 and either redden or Polec included. Which they launched at.

They claim we nearly had a deal done for 12 & 20 but couldn't get it over the line. Rendell and Noble had supposedly recommended it, but we're told no by the Triggmeister

As a supporter and without the insider knowledge of the signed contract - I liked the fact we didn't trade him in 2011.

We had him contracted for 2012 and without him being eligible for free agency - would have been able to trade him at the end of 2012 if we couldn't convince him to stay. He had a poor 2011 and his value would have been greater after a more productive season. I think the chance to try and convince him to stay would have been worth the small risk of him going to the PSD.

Of course none of this matters since we knew we had the smoking gun (as Elder van Berlo rightly points out).

at most clubs the CEO has to endorse the trade

No he doesn't, he may be able to veto a trade but he doesn't have to approve every trade, that's the list managers job. The CEO is not going to be able to know the value of players outside the club, or their potential. He has other things to do than read reports from the recruiters.

Would love the 2nd year blues for Aish. Here is hoping a little form slump sees him on the outer as new recruits Beams, Christianson and Robinson take away his midfield time.

Realistically - if Brisbane were to let him go - it would need to be for a top 10 pick and a sweetener.

So you're hoping the kid has a shit year so you can demand a second round pick or we let him walk to the draft?

You stay classy Crows supporters.

A name that hasn't been mentioned as one of our targets but I can see us targetting if he wants out is Jeremy Howe.

We actually got close to getting Jeremy Howe maybe 2 or 3 years ago but something prevented it happening (can't remember - probably Tippett related haha).

Jimmy Toumpas also on our radar, probably get him cheap given he's been pretty useless at the Dees. Hope we can turn his (lack of) development around.

So you're hoping the kid has a shit year so you can demand a second round pick or we let him walk to the draft?

Just getting our own back for all the other supporters talking shit about Danger ;)

Don't take it the wrong way, just getting some of our own back :)

C'mon man. Remember this is our board, and it was quite obvious his second line is the most relevant one there.

A name that hasn't been mentioned as one of our targets but I can see us targetting if he wants out is Jeremy Howe.

We actually got close to getting Jeremy Howe maybe 2 or 3 years ago but something prevented it happening (can't remember - probably Tippett related haha).

Jimmy Toumpas also on our radar, probably get him cheap given he's been pretty useless at the Dees. Hope we can turn his (lack of) development around.
Would be great to finally have a Burton replacement.

http://afl.to/1BT8JcY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it got too lonely on that pedestal of yours that you had to come and post on our board. Welcome.

And yes - absolutely I am hoping he has the 2nd year blues so his value on the trading block is less.

Are you suggesting a small part of me was hoping Beams would play badly last season so we DIDNT have to give Collingwood Pick 5, 25 and Crisp?

Is not that we hope that he plays badly....

Beams is an established elite midfielder of the comp, one of the best. There is absolutely no doubting his ability and therefore his market value, regardless of if he's had one bad season or not, it's not going to chance much.

We are more so hoping that Aish doesn't go exploding out of the blocks this season and really starts asserting his dominance on the competition, that's all. It only makes it more expensive for us IF he is in fact a major target for us. A season just like his first would be great, nothing bad, but nothing too special either ;)

Last edited:
Are you suggesting a small part of me was hoping Beams would play badly last season so we DIDNT have to give Collingwood Pick 5, 25 and Crisp?
I think the suggestion is that potential is worth a lot but a proven performer that has reached a very high ceiling is worth even more.
Atm Aish is in the potential category, albeit partially proved already. If that makes sense.

I'd love Jeremy Howe at the Crows, plays so well at both ends and has real weapons that we lack.

Good post.

Just your last sentence needs to be reworded - Jimmy Toumpas also on our radar, probably get him cheap given Dees been pretty useless for Toumpas.

This kid was meant to be a gun and I remember the AFC were looking at the time to try and maneuver itself so as to select him through trading for a top 10 draft pick. MFC are just really good at messing up a players development. Their outstanding history of conistently achieving this is is to bewildered. I think what stunned me the most is when their moderator (not that means that necessarily they know their Club the best - shock horror I know) said they should always trade their top 10 picks because picking an elite player is too hard. Forget the fact that over the last 3-5 years, most if not almost most Clubs have nailed elite players in the first 10 picks.

On behalf of supporters on the Crows board apologies for that comment mate, he definitely doesnt represent what most of us think.

A fair trade for a player that has played just 2 years of footy that wants to return home is requsested.

spoke to toumpas' old man at a work function a while back (just after last years trade period), was fairly coy about how jimmy was going, basically said that he has no intention of leaving the dees and just wants to get his body right and play good footy for the dees (almost a media trained response). Either way, id rather our energies be focused on Aish during the trade period. Howe on the other hand could be achievable and very useful for us.

spoke to toumpas' old man at a work function a while back (just after last years trade period), was fairly coy about how jimmy was going, basically said that he has no intention of leaving the dees and just wants to get his body right and play good footy for the dees (almost a media trained response). Either way, id rather our energies be focused on Aish during the trade period. Howe on the other hand could be achievable and very useful for us.

Toumpas would cost us nothing I would think especially if he struggles in 2015.

Imagine getting Aish and Toumpas it would almost negate the effects of being banned fro the early part of the 2012 draft.

Toumpas would cost us nothing I would think especially if he struggles in 2015.

Imagine getting Aish and Toumpas it would almost negate the effects of being banned fro the early part of the 2012 draft.
to be honest, ive seen bugger all of toumpas therefore cant decided whether i would want us to target him, Aish ive seen more than enough of to suggest hes going to be very decent. Melbourne would hold the cards in the toumpas trade (likely ladder position compared to us at end of year, the fact they paid an early first rounder... would 'justifiably' want a late first rounder at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back