Analysis Post match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

PLease. Thomas? Crisp? Fasolo? Grundy?? White???
Adams had 23 disposals, 9 contested possies, 6 clearances - number one in each of those stats and ran ran ran all game - and all people can see is a couple of poor kicks despite having the same disposal efficiency as Sidebottom and 23%!! better than JT. The blinkers people have when watching this bloke play is ridiculous.
I think with adams is that his bad kicks are BAD. and I wonder if he sometimes goes for the impossible. there was one kick that he centred to Varcoe when it was 3 on 1. but otherwise he played a good game

Tooves footskills are what they are and it'll probably never improve to your lofty standards but he was an integral part of our 2010-11 machine and will continue to dominate the small forwards and Jack Darlings of the competition.

HATERS GON HATE

Lol was 4 years ago and its not my lofty standards its the AFL's.
Might keep an opponent to 2 goals a game but will give up 2 with his footskills

One thing to remember this is NAB round 1, easiest game of the year. No one on the fringe of a 22 books themselves a spot by a performance in this round. Always remeber people going early on the likes of a Jye Bolton or Jordon Russell. Dont read too much into this week, each round of the preseason gets harder ands closer to the real thing. Good for those who did well tonight but they need to back it up in week 2 and 3 if they are to earn their spot

With that thought process I look at tonight and our young and borderline players based on who hurt or enhanced their chances of a round 1 spot.

Enhanced

1 Langdon - Could turn out to be one of Hines finest picks. Loved that he just stepped into his role seemlessly tonight as though he has been there forever. Reads the play beautifully and has poised skill and courage. Love what he brings

2 Karnezis - Hasnt been in my 22 at this stage on the basis he needs to earn a spot with strong performances in the pre season. Tonight was a great start. Sounds fitter though I expect still plenty of room to improve there. Gets loose and available but hard to tell on TV whether he backs up with defensive effort. Still has gone a good way to contending for that round 1 game.

3. De Goey - Franked what he did in the intraclub. That centre square clearance early in the last was just class. Storng efforts and poised. No disaster if not in for round 1 as I expect he will play early games and plenty of senior games in 2015

4. BenKen - Knows where to find the ball. Suspect his L foot is a lot better than his 1st 2 seasons suggest. Pushed his name into round 1 contention tonight.

5 Crisp - Big body who can run. Was good but not great but shoed he may have a future. Clearly has to repeat the effort week 2 and 3 if a chance for seniors but has made a start

6 Fasolo - I have him as a lock anyway bit I know not everyone shares my view. Showed tonight what he brings, goal sense, overhead danger in F50, great disposal and accurate goal kicking. Big 2015 coming.

7 Grundy - Have Witts ahead for now but he better get on the park soon as Grundy said tonight I am ready to be no 1 ruck. Exciting prospects and duo

8 Gault - He is still a way down the pecking order and stranded on the list but contiued that trend he stared later 2014 of suggesting he has something to offer. Will be hoping he can make a mark on the VFL early this year

9 Ramsay - Similar to Gault in that he showed something late last year but still clearly outside best 22. Well he showed something again, love it when he ran away form Hill the delivered spot on into forward 50. Took a step backwards tonight.

10 Thomas - Good strong effort and a performance of a player capable of being AFL mid in 2015

11 Sinclair - Was unlucky to be injured when he was in 2014. Looks good off the HB line and reminded us tonight he has a cahnce to make it as a player there

12 White - Maybe the weight loss and even great er mobility is the solution . Teased us early last year but put a good foot forward tonight. At this stage will be Clokes forward partner round 1. Interesting next 2 games for him

Dropped the Ball a little

1 Dwyer - Harsh as he was a sub but gave us nothing much when he came on. Competition will be fiece for his spot. On tonight he stars in the VFL , means pressure ins on for next 2 matches

2 Oxley - Similar to Dwyer but has an excuse after 2014. Suspect he will be eased back in with the hope of stepping up in later season. For nowno hope of round 1

3 Freeman - Not a problem but reminded us tonight that a kid who misses his 1st season is likey to be less prepared for senior footy on his return. Always expected at teast eary to middle parts of season were just to get back into the swing of footy. Dont worry he is the future not the present

4 Broomhead - quiet and didn't offer much. His spot in round 1 is dependent on showing good form in the preseason. Tonight at least a few went past him and he is currently VFL round one so needs some good performances in the next 2

Others who played tonight I assume will be in the 22 for round 1 already

Good night overall . Langdonand De goey the best stories

In what way did Ramsay take a step backwards tonight? o_O

Did anyone see the after match interview with Clarkson. What a campaigner he is ? used the , we had 2 subs they had non and mentioned the young fella coming off with a shoulder. 5 interchange players to 6 an advantage albeit a small one. 2 subs to nil but nothing in that. Then had a crack about them sticking to the rule of only 120 interchanges when I believe we had 160. When asked about the new HTB rule interpretation, he has a whinge about a missed Hawthorn free kick.

Then when asked about the new blocking in the backline rule, he went on about how they don't practise it and how Port practised before the PF 2015 and that Geelong have done it very well for a longtime.

I got the impression he was pretty ticked off with their performance or does he normally whinge like this. It's a praccy match FFS.

Also THATSGOLD must be ticked off today. His Hawks depth got shown up. Right in thatsgolds pussy.

Last edited:
The commentators, Brereton especially, couldn't imply often enough that they thought Karnezis ad Fasolo were 'cheating' by dropping out the back. What they didn't highlight was one instance in particular, where Karnezis bolted from the middle of the ground to the goalsquare to mark and goal. Hardly cheating. In fact, it was just good reading of the play and hard running imo. No doubt they do it at times, but Bruest seems to fins himself in the goal square a lot to get the cheapie over the top, yet he is 'smart'. Those forward types need to rely on their smarts at times to stay in the game. I don't mind it as long as they are doing the defensive things right as well.
yep, the fact he worked hard and had 5 tackles shows that he wasn't cheating and infact he got reward for effort.

Going to watch the game again, now that the emotion has gone but doubt that I will pock up more that I did last night.
I was impressed with their tackling, disposal by hand and foot much better, seemed to hunt in packs which in turn looked like ball movement was quicker.
I really don't care who we played and who was missing as what I saw was that they have taken what they have been practicing into a game and for mine it didn't look to bad.

My short analysis is

Grundy – showing signs that he can be our no1 ruck. His best stat was actually the column that had 0 In it.. that was 0 frees against. Last year he was giving hundreds of them away

Fasolo / KP – Having multiple goal kickers up forward is a must. These two both showed defensive pressure and know how to kick goal. Both can play tall and small

Williams / Sinclair – very impressed with both as small defenders

White can have an impact this year if he applies himself and covers the ground

Langdon has continued on from where he left of last year and has shown that he will be a very capable 200 game player

Adams and Thomas can’t play in the same team. I think adams gets the nod

Greenwood / varcoe – they did what they had to do both add class and experience

Crisp – showed he could be more then just steak knives

Freeman & de-goey both showed glimpses. Freeman slightly excused given he hasn’t played footy for 15 months

Only dissapointment from my end was with Broomhead and elliott.

Did anyone see the after match interview with Clarkson. What a campaigner he is ? used the , we had 2 subs they had non and mentioned the young fella coming off with a shoulder. 5 interchange players to 6 an advantage albeit a small one. 2 subs to nil but nothing in that. Then had a crack about them sticking to the rule of only 120 interchanges when I believe we had 160. When asked about the new HTB rule interpretation, he has a whinge about a missed Hawthorn free kick.

Then when asked about the new blocking in the backline rule, he went on about how they don't practise it and how Port practised before the PF 2015 and that Geelong have done it very well for a longtime.

I got the impression he was pretty ticked off with their performance or does he normally whinge like this. It's a praccy match FFS.

Also THATSGOLD must be ticked off today. His Hawks depth got shown up. Right in thatsgolds pussy.

What happened to him? He has disappeared?

...and Clarkson was a tad angry last night....relax dude!

Not being at the game I have to digress to the commentators because I have seen them duck out the back at opportune times previously and Brown certainly reinforced that on Karnezis. Positive affirmation I guess. Had we won the ball or was it 50-50 when he ran hard forward of the ball?

I think having 200+ goals to your name in your first 75 matches allows you to escape heat for cheating because Bruest certainly tends towards that as well. Once PK and Fasolo reach that level they'll escape those sorts of comments, IMO.

I think forward smarts needs to be an emphasis for us because it's adds a danger element to our forward half which was sadly lacking (Cloke and Elliott aside last year).

We had won the ball. You could just see him in the top corner of the screen running forward. I wouldn't say they don't "cheat" at times, but not on this occasion. Brereton as he does, was talking for the sake of talking imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tooves footskills are what they are and it'll probably never improve to your lofty standards but he was an integral part of our 2010-11 machine and will continue to dominate the small forwards and Jack Darlings of the competition.

HATERS GON HATE

AFL footy has moved on since 2010. It all about disposal efficiency these days because if you miss a target these days, it goes back down the other end for a goal. No excuses if you break free and create space for yourself you have to hit the target 100% of the time. Ben Kennedy did that last night. Ramsay did it. Sinclair who has had problems with his disposal in the past did it last night. Still big question marks over Toovey, Adams and Thomas. Either they improve their kicking or I prefer to play newcomers such as De Goey, or even older older fringe players like Dwyer who are reliable kicks.

We had won the ball. You could just see him in the top corner of the screen running forward. I wouldn't say they don't "cheat" at times, but not on this occasion. Brereton as he does, was talking for the sake of talking imo
As he always does. Can't stand him as a commentator, particularly in NAB cup games when I am uncertain of the identity of some of the players.

As he always does. Can't stand him as a commentator, particularly in NAB cup games when I am uncertain of the identity of some of the players.
I will give him one thing, he usually gets the players names right. Something Brian Taylor cannot fathom.

Is it just me or considering how cloke focused we have been for years now would it benift the team greatly if we keep him out of the side for the remainder of the NAB challenge?

Gives our other forwards a chance to shine PK, Elliot, Faz etc.
and might drill into our mids that bombing into cloke 1on2 and 1on3s isn't ideal.

Just basing this of lastnights game against the Hawks when he had a beautiful spread of goal kickers

BleedBlackLabel

Agree with most of this but why do so many people rate Macaffer as a "walk up start in Pies best 22"? I reckon he is up there with Blair as one of the most over-rated Collingwood players of the past decade. What has he ever done? If his opponent beats the tag, Macaffer becomes a liability. He doesn't win much of the ball, isn't a great kick and virtually never hits the scoreboard. He's a one-dimensional player in an era where flexibility is key.

That aside, I reckon we've got more reason for optimism that I would have dreamed possible at end of 2014. Here's my Rd1 team, in wake of last night's performance:

FB Williams Brown Toovey
HB Langdon Reid Goldsack
C Sidebottom Swan Greenwood
R Grundy Pendles Adams
HF Varcoe Cloke Fasolo
FF Karnezis White Elliott
INT DeGoey Thomas Broomhead Crisp

DEPTH Witts Dwyer Frost Seedsman Kennedy Freeman Sinclair Gault Keefe Moore Ramsay Blair Armstrong Schareberg Macaffer + those yet to debut

That side could sneak into the finals, injuries permitting. Some pretty handy players in the "depth" category.
Like the forward line. Potentially that is a forward line which will give opposition teams big headaches.

In Adams, i was impressed.

I think his disposal is actually better than josh Thomas, the problem is that his mistakes are just howlers.

I think its something we are just going to have to get used to. He was a key element to at least 3 goals, and was linked in a lot of scoring chains as well. Really solid game.

Josh Thomas is average by foot but his errors dont hurt as much.

FWIW i like both in the side. JT is more of a goal kicker whereas Adams is a more typical in and under. They compliment nicely when you have some taller mids like De Goet and Pendlebury, Swan and Crisp. I liked greenwood a lot too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back