Injury Post Season Medical Update

Remove this Banner Ad

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Crows midfielder Ben Keays and forward Lachlan Murphy are expected to be ready for the start of pre-season training after undergoing off-season surgery.

Keays had minor surgery to repair his AC Joint this week while Murphy will have foot surgery after playing through discomfort this year.

“Keaysy had been battling with the shoulder the last three or four weeks of the season and the decision was made to have it repaired,” High Performance Manager Darren Burgess said.

“He’s only going to be unable to run for three or four weeks so it won’t have a big impact on his preparation for pre-season.

“And Murph is having surgery to tidy up a foot issue he’s been playing with and it will have very little impact on his pre-season.”

Andrew McPherson, Luke Brown and Rory Sloane are making steady progress in their recovery from their respective knee injuries.

“Sloaney is on schedule to be running throughout the off-season and attack the start of pre-season,” Burgess said.

“And Andrew McPherson is fine, we don’t expect him to have any issues with returning to full training when the rest of the team does and the same with Luke Brown.”

Josh Rachele has resumed running as part of his hip rehabilitation and is expected to complete a full off-season program, while Paul Seedsman is continuing to monitor concussion-related symptoms ahead of his return to training.

Crows midfielder Ben Keays and forward Lachlan Murphy are expected to be ready for the start of pre-season training after undergoing off-season surgery.

Keays had minor surgery to repair his AC Joint this week while Murphy will have foot surgery after playing through discomfort this year.

“Keaysy had been battling with the shoulder the last three or four weeks of the season and the decision was made to have it repaired,” High Performance Manager Darren Burgess said.

“He’s only going to be unable to run for three or four weeks so it won’t have a big impact on his preparation for pre-season.

“And Murph is having surgery to tidy up a foot issue he’s been playing with and it will have very little impact on his pre-season.”

Andrew McPherson, Luke Brown and Rory Sloane are making steady progress in their recovery from their respective knee injuries.

“Sloaney is on schedule to be running throughout the off-season and attack the start of pre-season,” Burgess said.

“And Andrew McPherson is fine, we don’t expect him to have any issues with returning to full training when the rest of the team does and the same with Luke Brown.”

Josh Rachele has resumed running as part of his hip rehabilitation and is expected to complete a full off-season program, while Paul Seedsman is continuing to monitor concussion-related symptoms ahead of his return to training.

"Continuing to monitor concussion related symptoms". That doesnt compute with a planned return to training.

It is just dumbfounding that seeds hasnt announced his retirement yet..

Its closing in fast on 12 months since he had his head knock and if he is still suffering repercussions from it then any ideas of playing again are just silly.

Just pay him out.. make him a runner while we train him up for a coaching role down the track if he so desperately wants to remain in and around the game..

After a season out you wouldn't even contemplate it(a return)would you?

Surely if it's that bad then it's game over for good.
Yep.. imagine first week back at full contact training and he cops another heavy head knock.

Chances of it happening are slim but certainly not impossible.. which just makes trying to play again ludicrous.

Yep.. imagine first week back at full contact training and he cops another heavy head knock.

Chances of it happening are slim but certainly not impossible.. which just makes trying to play again ludicrous.

Last I heard he couldn't even run and bright light was enough to effect him. This, months after the last knock.
That sounds like the permanent damage has been done to me and that it wouldnt take much of a knock,if that,to see him in a right state for the rest of his life.

I'm wondering about our duty of care here.

"Continuing to monitor concussion related symptoms". That doesnt compute with a planned return to training.
Sounds to me like he's already training and monitoring himself carefully and that will be ongoing to hopefully put a body of lesser intensity work in the bank with no issues and if that's achieved it gives the tick to getting back to trying AFL level training.

Sounds to me like he's already training and monitoring himself carefully and that will be ongoing to hopefully put a body of lesser intensity work in the bank with no issues and if that's achieved it gives the tick to getting back to trying AFL level training.
The club should be open with, if that's the case. Their statement makes them look bad.

Maybe the idea of returning to training and then playing is part of Seed's rehabilitation to get back into normal health. A motivator.

Unlikely he will ever play again, but taking that away from him may affect his rehab.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder whether the much-lauded move of Keays to half forward wasn’t actually a strategic move to give our kids more midfield minutes but a forced move to get him out of crash and bash?
I have been telling people Keays was playing injured in the last part of the season... yet many didn't believe.

Same with Doedee playing injured during the season.

Really frustrating that the club won't rest injured players... particularly when we are in a rebuild.

Can they repair Keays left foot while he's under the knife.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Brown should be told to do recovery on that knee for 12 months overseas…

Most likely confirmation bias but it always seems to follow guys. Like Hamill copping it all the time while others go a full career without one.

It is just dumbfounding that seeds hasnt announced his retirement yet..

Its closing in fast on 12 months since he had his head knock and if he is still suffering repercussions from it then any ideas of playing again are just silly.

Just pay him out.. make him a runner while we train him up for a coaching role down the track if he so desperately wants to remain in and around the game..
I think the chances of him playing at AFL level again is slim. However, I suspect they’re keeping him on the playing list to give him a sense of hope and optimism, which perhaps may improve his chances of overcoming his concussion syndrome.

This is odd we have guys going in for surgery now.

We usually "see how it goes after a couple of months rest" then operate in January or February.

Why even put having a full preseason at any risk at all by playing them to the end in a 14th placed season? Murphy is fringe and Keays has no weapons outside of what being in superb physical condition provides. How were we benefitted by these guys not going out for surgery a month ago? We still beat Roos and Eagles and almost certainly Carlton. And even if creates a 6 goal turnaround and it cost us the Blues win, who cares.

This news should please one of his biggest fans no end.....LOL 🤣

Imo, still has a role to play, but not much in the midfield anymore.

Would like to see him play a Lynch type role as the hard working HFF connector role. He is good overhead & decent kick for goal.

Better than our current HFF's.

This news should please one of his biggest fans no end.....LOL 🤣

Not sure who you’re talking about, but I’d expect he’s pretty much quoted everything that I’ve already said about his attitude. Wouldn’t be a shock that Rory doing an ACL is another thing that Rory absolutely loves. Did he mention that it makes him a better father etc etc as well. Tell me, how good does Rory reckon doing this injury is and is he focussed on round 1. As was advertised by certain astute posters.

Not sure who you’re talking about, but I’d expect he’s pretty much quoted everything that I’ve already said about his attitude. Wouldn’t be a shock that Rory doing an ACL is another thing that Rory absolutely loves. Did he mention that it makes him a better father etc etc as well. Tell me, how good does Rory reckon doing this injury is and is he focussed on round 1. As was advertised by certain astute posters.
You would be just about the only that wouldn't be sure who it referred to...just like it was a no brainer that you'd reply...:padlock:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back