Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

"A PROGRAM is being developed by the AFL and Champion Data to help simplify the complex new father-son and academy bidding system for clubs and fans.

The League will work closely with its statistics partner to build the application to be prepared if the bidding is implemented as a live element of this year's NAB AFL Draft.

It would allow recruiters to log in their draft picks and where a bid has been placed, and know instantly what it would cost to match a rival's bid to select the father-son or northern academy player.

Supporters would also likely be able to access a version of the system, with the League conscious of bringing in a bidding process that is understandable for all despite the major overhaul.

The proposed bidding system - which is expected to be soon confirmed after support from the AFL Commission and club chief executives - has been structured to ensure clubs pay a fairer price for top talents tied to them.

It does so through a sliding scale, whereby selections can move up and down the draft board depending on where the bid comes.

For instance, if a club bids a top-five pick on Sydney Swans academy player Callum Mills, then it would cost the Swans their first pick and see other selections move to later in the draft."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...lify-new-fatherson-and-academy-bidding-system

"A PROGRAM is being developed by the AFL and Champion Data to help simplify the complex new father-son and academy bidding system for clubs and fans.

The League will work closely with its statistics partner to build the application to be prepared if the bidding is implemented as a live element of this year's NAB AFL Draft.

It would allow recruiters to log in their draft picks and where a bid has been placed, and know instantly what it would cost to match a rival's bid to select the father-son or northern academy player.

Supporters would also likely be able to access a version of the system, with the League conscious of bringing in a bidding process that is understandable for all despite the major overhaul.

The proposed bidding system - which is expected to be soon confirmed after support from the AFL Commission and club chief executives - has been structured to ensure clubs pay a fairer price for top talents tied to them.

It does so through a sliding scale, whereby selections can move up and down the draft board depending on where the bid comes.

For instance, if a club bids a top-five pick on Sydney Swans academy player Callum Mills, then it would cost the Swans their first pick and see other selections move to later in the draft."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...lify-new-fatherson-and-academy-bidding-system

It will be easy to understand if they just patch the new figures into the old MRP/Reports/Penalties booklet.

The system isn't that complicated. You can work out what picks are lost with a macro and vlookup in excel. It's just little things that need to be sorted out for example is a pick that's used for a f/s deleted from the draft order.

Last edited by a moderator:
The system isn't that complicated. You can work out what picks are lost using with a macro and vlookup in excel. It's just little things that need to be sorted out for example is a pick that's used for a f/s deleted from the draft order.
10lana, this is FredLeDeux
question-cartoon.jpg

and this is me:
images

;)
Please don't explain, though- I think my head is already about to fall off at your simple version of explaining things, above :(

Fred- you and I will stick to the MRP booklet, OK? :D

10lana, this is FredLeDeux
question-cartoon.jpg

and this is me:
images

;)
Please don't explain, though- I think my head is already about to fall off at your simple version of explaining things, above :(

Fred- you and I will stick to the MRP booklet, OK? :D
It's not too difficult, there just some useful things you can use in excel. If enough people are interested I can make up user friendly excel file that people can input there own team picks and other team bids.

It's not too difficult, there just some useful things you can use in excel. If enough people are interested I can make up user friendly excel file that people can input there own team picks and other team bids.
That's really nice of you, 10lana. Not sure if I'm the sort of user that these things will ever be friendly with. :(
I'm just still at Level 1 on Excel... can do some basics but most of the symbols at the top are meaningless to me :oops:

Watch it overvalue the s**t out of Cotchins son.

What's this excel thing you speak of time traveller?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might as well abolish everything and make it closer to the pure draft many (seemingly) want.

Sadly, someone will still find something to complain about.

I like the idea behind the system, it makes teams pay a closer to market price. But I don't like the weighting provided to the individual picks , I think they overvalue mid ranged and later picks relative to market value.

What they could do to remove the academy the main issue(but won't for obvious reasons) and simplify the system is that you must beat the bid to get the player. And we can get rid of the 25% discount.

For example if Sydney's first pick is 18 and a team bids pick 14 then Sydney shouldn't get the opportunity to match the bid. If The bid is pick 30, then they get an extra pick that is valued to the difference between pick 18(985 points) and pick 30(629 points) which is 356 points which corresponds to pick 45.

I like the idea behind the system, it makes teams pay a closer to market price. But I don't like the weighting provided to the individual picks , I think they overvalue mid ranged and later picks relative to market value.

What they could do to remove the academy issue(but wont for obvious reasons) is that you must beat the bid to get the player. And we can get rid of the 25% discount.

For example if Sydney's first pick is 18 and a team bids pick 14 then Sydney shouldn't get the opportunity to match the bid. If The bid is pick 30, then they get an extra pick that is valued to the difference between pick 18(985 points) and pick 30(629 points) which is 356 points which corresponds to pick 45.

NOW you have to hold my hand, please.

I still can't believe all this s**t is happening. SHUT. THE. *. UP. EDDIE. It will bite you in the ass when you give up the next Cloak - utter lunacy on his part.

What they could do to remove the academy issue(but wont for obvious reasons) is that you must beat the bid to get the player. And we can get rid of the 25% discount.

Something I proposed a few months ago.

Let the clubs determine a player's market value.

Last year, if Melbourne was prepared to bid #2 for Heeney, then Sydney should have to either give Melbourne something to acquire Pick #2 or deal with the Saints for the #1 pick.

The sticking point is going to be the money and resources the Northern clubs pump into their Academies but I'm sure that could be worked out.

I think bidding should also extend to Father-Son selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back