Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Something I proposed a few months ago.

Let the clubs determine a player's market value.

Last year, if Melbourne was prepared to bid #2 for Heeney, then Sydney should have to either give Melbourne something to acquire Pick #2 or deal with the Saints for the #1 pick.

The sticking point is going to be the money and resources the Northern clubs pump into their Academies but I'm sure that could be worked out.

I think bidding should also extend to Father-Son selections.
I think this is far too much!!! Not to mention we would never have got Tummy in instances like this.

NOW you have to hold my hand, please.

This is a few examples more than an explanation but Its the best way I could think to explain it.

Sydney has picks 18,36,54,72
WB has picks 12,30,48,66
Carlton has picks 1,19,37,55,83

Scenario 1
Lets say Carlton bids pick 1 on a player ( the Heeney scenario)

Current system
Sydney bids pick 18 and gets the player

Proposed System
Pick 1 is worth 3000 points, there is a 25% discount to 2250 points

Sydney pays picks this year
pick 18 - 985 points
pick 36 - 502 points
pick 54 - 220 points
pick 72 - 19 points
A total of 1726 points
And gains the last 4 picks in the draft

So next year they pay 524 points from there first pick the next year

10lana's system
Sydney can't beat pick 1 so the player goes to Carlton

extra thought with the proposed system : What happens if a team has two players that demand really early bids and the have already used all of there points from this year, they could use up all of there pick of the next years draft before the year even starts, what if a similar scenario happens again? How many years in the future can the pre-use.

Scenario 2
let say WB bids pick 30 on a player

Current system
Sydney bids pick 36 and gets the player

Proposed System
pick 30 is worth 629 points and there is a 25% discount to 472 points

Sydney pays pick 36 which is worth 502 points
Sydney's pick is greater than the discounted bid so they get an extra pick.

502-472=30 points
So they gain pick 71 in addition to the player

10lana's System
pick 30 is worth 629 points

Sydney bids pick 18 worth 985 points
Sydney's pick is greater than the bid so they get an extra pick.
985-629=356 points
so they gain pick 45 in addition to the player.

I think this is far too much!!! Not to mention we would never have got Tummy in instances like this.
:D

Yeah, it is funny how people only start complaining when there is a perceived loss of something they benefit from or when they believe someone else is benefitting from something they don't have.

Ask the Adelaide Crows what they think of the Father-Son rule they were initially made to work with.

By all rights, Gibbs should be wearing an Adelaide jumper.

Really want a pure draft? Get rid of the Academies, Father-Son rule & free agency compensation.

Simple in theory. ;)

Something I proposed a few months ago.

Let the clubs determine a player's market value.

Last year, if Melbourne was prepared to bid #2 for Heeney, then Sydney should have to either give Melbourne something to acquire Pick #2 or deal with the Saints for the #1 pick.

The sticking point is going to be the money and resources the Northern clubs pump into their Academies but I'm sure that could be worked out.

I think bidding should also extend to Father-Son selections.

As far as I know the new system will apply equally to academy and father/sons players. I think they should exist in some form that is both Simple to understand, that isn't convoluted and reflects market value.

If a team bids a higher then what Sydney has then they the team (Melbourne in your scenario) should get the player. Now that trade week occurs before the bidding process and that traded picks can now be used in the bidding process, Sydney now has 2 weeks to acquire the necessary pick.

As far as I know the new system will apply equally to academy and father/sons players. I think they should exist in some form that is both Simple to understand, that isn't convoluted and reflects market value.

If a team bids a higher then what Sydney has then they the team (Melbourne in your scenario) should get the player. Now that trade week occurs before the bidding process and that traded picks can now be used in the bidding process, Sydney now has 2 weeks to acquire the necessary pick.
Ample time.

I think only 20 are current list.
Is it only 20 on Essendon's list? I thought that there were 34 people who were cited. Some of which may be at other clubs or retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The system isn't that complicated. You can work out what picks are lost with a macro and vlookup in excel. It's just little things that need to be sorted out for example is a pick that's used for a f/s deleted from the draft order.

vlookup , hadn't used that had to look it up... use the macro to automate it?

Sounds like our friend 10lana had a starring role in "The Imitation game"

vlookup , hadn't used that had to look it up... use the macro to automate it?

Sounds like our friend 10lana had a starring role in "The Imitation game"

...Is that a joke:confused::p

Pretty much, type in the picks you have, type in the picks that have been bid, press a button and get your outputs. Won't be pretty but it will be functional. Have the AFL send a check in my direction. I wonder what CD is charging them for it. I'd do it for 10% of what they are charging:D.

Pretty much, type in the picks you have, type in the picks that have been bid, press a button and get your outputs. Won't be pretty but it will be functional. Have the AFL send a check in my direction. I wonder what CD is charging them for it. I'd do it for 10% of what they are charging:D.

No joke i have not used Vlookup before... not need in my use of excel

No joke i have not used Vlookup before... not need in my use of excel

It's useful if you want to bring up certain information from a large table.
And you can reference the target information as another cell.
Probably not explaining it well but it is versatile, probably one of the most useful in built functions in excel.

It's useful if you want to bring up certain information from a large table.
And you can reference the target information as another cell.
Probably not explaining it well but it is versatile, probably one of the most useful in built functions in excel.

Youtube is my friend for stuff like this. Sets the baseline which one can expand on.

Let me be your agent, 10lana. I'll get you 30% (I'll tell the AFL you're doing it for 70% of what they're paying CD, I'll give you 30% and keep the difference! :p)

Did I hear part of the discussion.... they might lower the games required for Father Son? Paying close to rate so I guess fair enough.
Yep the AFL realise that it's just becoming ridiculous.
"The current qualification threshold of 100 games could be slashed to 50 or as low as one as the game's governing body concedes the revamped bidding system will make it even tougher for clubs to invest in generational talent."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-ponders-lowering-fatherson-threshold-20150520-gh64d9.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back