Power vs Dockers (non-Macca version)

Remove this Banner Ad

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well a little bit has already been written on other threads, but I'll get the unofficial/non-Macca review started.

A pretty satisfying and certainly a gutsy win. Can't complain about the result and certainly not about the courage of players to dig deep in virtually every quarter to thwart the momentum that Freo seemed to build up so quickly. Some things were lucky, like those two last-quarter goals, but then again, hit-posts almost sabotaged our efforts to come away with vital points.

Numerous positive individual efforts.
Thought we played too short (both with possession/disposal and with personnel especially early up forward). Ultimately it was the ability of big marks to be taken espectially by one "Tony" Thurstans that determined the outcome.

Turnovers and skill errors early cost us, and certainly it required some individual brilliance (eg James and Carr with third quarter goals, Thurstans' marks, Wangas and Chad lunges in last quarter to spoil balls, Kane Cornes all game) to keep the ball rolling our way.

Hats off to Freo, that was a very intense game, and if their tall forwards had stood up, the result might have been the reverse.

Individual comments:
1. Kane Cornes: votes will be very hard to give in this game, but this player should definitely feature in our top three. What an effort. To me, he is fast becoming as admired for his desperation and selfless acts (sorry to use a Kellog's Thomas phrase) as Wilbur. Nullified Hasselby, got the footy, including several wonderful contested marks in awkward parts of the ground and provided the best one-percenter of the night with that smother. BRILLIANT. The last quarter goal, as fluky as it was, was a testimony to his ability to get the ball forward. A real team-man. No-one should undervalue him. And his disposal is not as bad as some.

2. Toby Thurstans: alot has been and will be said of his game. Pretty amazing really. He took several Brown-like marks, and several Tredrea-like marks, and really played as well as you would expect from the best of either of those two. Kicked well for goal, other than two posters which didn't come off his boot well. His opponent Hadrill is now slouch, but Toby beat him in every 50-50. Arguably the overall difference in the result, because Freo did not have an equivalent force in bigmen. Must now consolidate. An effort like that in a Final, could be all we need.

3. Roger James: one of the most inspirational first three quarters you will see. What didn't he do? Not manned up well at times, but used the ball very well, and two of his goals were game-breakers such was their brilliance. Getting close to his absolute best of late 2002.

4. Peter Burgoyne: could have been critical of his ineffectiveness last week, but his last half effort , especially in the last 20mins was excellent. Made a typically horribly botch up that gave Medhurst his third goal in the third term, but bounced back with tremendous character at the next centre square contest, got it forward, and then followed up with an inspiring goal.

5. Chad Cornes: I reckon that was as well as he has played CHB in the last quarter. Struggled on Pavlich for a while in the third, but was more disciplined in the last than I have seen him. Got alot of touches early in the game, without dominating but again, he came good with a great defensive effort in the end.

6. Daryl Wakelin: his form continues to improve. Really good game. How rare is it to see him bounce back so quickly after an injury and play a small but important role in the end.

7. Rucks: Sandilands had his impact for about a thirty minute period from late third quarter to midway last, but our rucks did well enough. Brogan's forward play was very good, when Tredders was being reasonably subdued. Promising signs.

8. Wangas: so-so for middle part of game I thought, but again a fantastic last quarter in which he lifted visibly and came to the rescue on more than one occasion. Wonderful leadership.

OK games:
9. Bishop and Wilbur: both did some good things today and certainly were not disgraced. At then end of the day, their opponents kicked three each and that has to be remembered when summing up their games.

10. Josh Carr: Brilliant efforts in the third quarter to rest back some respect. Two excellent goals. Thought he still struggled though, and it will clearly take time for him to hit his straps again. Fumbled, spilled balls, and was uncharacteristically outmarked by Bell early in the third. Also missed some tackles. Still very courageous and will get better - no doubt.

11. Tredders- probably better than average. Competed very strongly against two opponents and never lost a contest. Worked his way a few times to create clever freekicks that were well earned from nowhere. His kicking early in the game was costly and took some shine off IMO.

12. Schoey: good early and second quarter goals were much needed and quality. Faded for mine, when he could have given us more service after halftime.

Good from limited opportunities:
13. Mahoney: definitely not overawed at this level. Would rather have him on the ground more than others in the side (see below). Creates by getting first to contests. Deserves his spot.

14. Kingers: undoubtedly provided spark when interchanged for Roger. Limited gametime but played his part well.

15. Ebert: fumbled a little today but recovered well. Not alot of gametime and I fear that he and Mahoney await the fate of Poults, as Williams gets his buddies back in the side.

Down today:
16. Cassisi: looked less certain with his hands. Browne gt away from him early. Did OK, better than Cochrane, when run on Headland. Not his best effort.

17. JB: thought early he was making most of his chances and again late in the game he made a couple of tackles that helped. Overall did not do that much. Missed a kickable goal, second quarter.

18 Choppy: at times almost looked scared of getting involved. I know, it's sacrilegeous to suggest it, but kept off his man in 50-50s, paddled the ball softly, spilt marks. Looked overawed. Deservedly spent time on the bench. Did some better things close in late. But not his best. Nevertheless, a wonderful player and a great result in 150th.

Where to now?
19. Cochrane: Hmmmm........well, got a number of wide, uncontest possessions in second term and used it OK. However,....Headland was quite damaging for a while there, and again Stuey did not play close enough for a supposedly reknowned tagger. Looked nervous late in the game, and seemed to let teammates get the hardball. In fact his failure to shepherd, eg Byron early game, and lack of tackling pressure indicated that he is not quite the teamman that we are led to believe he is. Coach's favourite. I'm sorry, but he is.

20. Dew: 5AA received a few calls regarding his form and position in the place in front of Poults, and fair enough to. Did little really. Has not looked like ripping games open for sometime now.

Votes:
9- K. Cornes, R. James, T. Thurstans
8- P. Burgoyne, D. Wakelin
7- G. Wanganeen, C. Cornes, D. Brogan
6- B. Lade, Carr
5- Tredrea, Kingsley, Wilson, Bishop, Schofield,
4- Mahoney, Cochrane
3- Ebert, JB, Cassisi
2- Dew, Pickett

That was the worst collective effort from our small forwards (counting James goals as an on baller here) I have seen.

... so you reckon Kane is meeting his KPIs PJ? ;)

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
That was the worst collective effort from our small forwards (counting James goals as an on baller here) I have seen.

I like to think that Thurstans was marking all the balls that our small forwards normally crumb.

I'm living in a Williams Wonderland.

Originally posted by sog35
I like to think that Thurstans was marking all the balls that our small forwards normally crumb.

I'm living in a Williams Wonderland.

Try the Pirates of the Le Fevre Peninsula ride ... it's a scream! ;)

Good to see that we triumphed over the Ribena berries.
Plenty of room for improvement. Ports poor ball handling skills, particularly in the first quarter needs to be adressed quickly otherwise we will get slaughtererd by the Saints in two weeks time.
I do not seem to be able to grasp Chocco's mentality of keeping Ebert on the bench for almost the entire game. At least Brett will give his best and get in after the ball. Where as Mr. Cochrane just stands around 5 to 10 metres away from where the ball is and when he does get the ball he fumbles 99.9% of the time.
It about time that he is sent back to Centrals and stays there. He is a player that we should seriously think of delisting at the end of the season.

Originally posted by gbear
I do not seem to be able to grasp Chocco's mentality of keeping Ebert on the bench for almost the entire game. At least Brett will give his best and get in after the ball...
This way he can be dropped "because he needs a good run in the SANFL to get match fitness" when Hardwick and Monty come back in and or to give Salopeck another run or two.

I think the best thing was that for the first time since 2002 it actually looked like the players were having fun and the song was sung with a bit of gusto.

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane

... so you reckon Kane is meeting his KPIs PJ? ;)

Part of the problem FF was that our two best performing small forwards of the last month spent only 90mins on the ground between them (Ebert and Mahoney), while the other three were down (Pickett, Dew and JB).
Since when do you kick three goals on Johnson of Brisbane, win the Rising Star nomination and then spend the next two matches mainly on the bench after still doing quite well when you are on the ground. Something smells fishy. If Choco does drop Brett, I don't even think Captain Ebert or Russell could defend the coach.

As for Kane and KPIs: YES!;)

Note to midfielders: if you run past Brogan for the handpass, you had better be sure that you are in fact his best option, as he will pass to you every time.

Who told Kingers he could get a haircut?

Thurstans leads like a backman....waits for the kick and then stutters his lead so he gets to the sweetspot on time, as opposed to maintaining the lead and adjusting how the mark is taken. The current method could see him removed from contests if he has unsympathetic umpires and his opponents maintain their own lead behind him. He surprised the crap out of me with his form...it'll be interesting to see if he can do it again...very sticky fingers yesterday.

Carr's hands - what happened to them?

I reckon if Wakelin could choose an opposition gameplan & team to play against for the rest of his career it would be the Freo one. No physical tall forwards, no intense tall forwards, erratic midfield delivery and little forward line accountability. Its like a dream come true.

Matthew Pavlich seems to have passed on the secret of quiet games against Port after a new contract to Schammer. Good man.

A good win.
Still too much handball.
A good game for Thurstans. This week he took the marks that normally go through his hands.
And how about the rap Choko gave him. Go get a room fellas.:D
How about Kane Cornes. Paul Haselby will be having a few nightmares about him this week.
The challange now is to get better. A week off to sooth any physical injuries and to unwind a little. The second half of the year does not get easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a game where we held off a side that deserves to be in the top eight on their own ground there was a lot to worry about out of that match.

Selections to begin with. The on-going non-selection of White when again even with Thurstans taking the tall forward lead early Tredrea was still able to be double teamed most of the night. The inclusion of Cochrane.

The match itself. Junior B. up forward too much, Ebert and Mahoney doing well when on the ground, but still pine warming too much of the night (ready for the 'need game time so being dropped' excuse), whilst Cochrane lets Headland get too much easy ball and remains on the ground.

Once again Choco will see the win and take all the wrong lessons out of it I'm sure. And if I see one more article saying Williams should be re-appointed NOW I'll scream. One word and one word only matters - Finals.

Originally posted by Andre
For a game where we held off a side that deserves to be in the top eight on their own ground there was a lot to worry about out of that match.

Selections to begin with. The on-going non-selection of White when again even with Thurstans taking the tall forward lead early Tredrea was still able to be double teamed most of the night. The inclusion of Cochrane.

The match itself. Junior B. up forward too much, Ebert and Mahoney doing well when on the ground, but still pine warming too much of the night (ready for the 'need game time so being dropped' excuse), whilst Cochrane lets Headland get too much easy ball and remains on the ground.

Once again Choco will see the win and take all the wrong lessons out of it I'm sure. And if I see one more article saying Williams should be re-appointed NOW I'll scream. One word and one word only matters - Finals.

Lets be fair on Choco, last week i thought the fact Ladey kicked 3 and Brogan kicked 1 would have meant the continuation of "the resting ruckman makes a great forward option" but he didn't, instead leaving the Thrust down there with Tredrea for the most part. Maybe he'll shock us all and include White even though results (wins & goals kicked by Lade/Brogan & Thrust) over the past two weeks probably show that it might not be the way to go.

Originally posted by Eago77
Lets be fair on Choco, last week i thought the fact Ladey kicked 3 and Brogan kicked 1 would have meant the continuation of "the resting ruckman makes a great forward option" but he didn't, instead leaving the Thrust down there with Tredrea for the most part. Maybe he'll shock us all and include White even though results (wins & goals kicked by Lade/Brogan & Thrust) over the past two weeks probably show that it might not be the way to go.
Lade will kick pretty much the same number of goals per year playing as a resting forward or not.
If not resting up there, every time he floats up he will not have their second best defender, plus he is our best set shot at goal from outside fifty.
The main difference will be that White will also kick goals (extra goals that is, not "goals instead of"), plus hopefully take some more pressure off Tredrea.

On another note, gee I missed seeing Hardwick on Medhurst in this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back