CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Last edited:

Thats quite incredible those sort of $$ back then. Don't show that article to the East Burwood boys - they will only need an economist in the midst to work out how much they should be getting paid to keep up with inflation today... :)
Now, now, Fatside, we have salary caps these days, so it will be deflation. :)

Last edited:
Haha - very true. Actually reading the article $250k between 8 clubs so not quite that much. But still fairly handy $$ for 1976.
Our top paid player in 1976, the year we won the Flag was on about $200. The rest of us were mostly on about $20. Up from when I started off $10 if you won and nothing if you lost.

Last edited:
Wasn't me Bobby. I wasn't married at that stage either. In my full time job that year I was earning about $15K which wasn't much more than $200 a week.
I can tell you though, that if I had $200 extra a week I would have ended up getting into mischief. I can easily see how some of the youngsters playing AFL today get themselves into lots of trouble. So lucky for me I wasn't all that good. :)

Last edited:
Amazing what you can stumble across online. From the Age Sept 28th 1976.
View attachment 1176001

Cliff please put your glasses on and re read the article.,These player payments were "if they won the grand final" I was treasurer for the Lilydale Football Club mid 70,s and I think we payed 4 players.1 about $60 a game and the other 3 about $30.3 of those 4 players marched up to me straight after the game and got their cash and left.The other stayed and put his payment back over the bar where the local boys were doing the same and they payed to play the game.

Cliff please put your glasses on and re read the article.,These player payments were "if they won the grand final" I was treasurer for the Lilydale Football Club mid 70,s and I think we payed 4 players.1 about $60 a game and the other 3 about $30.3 of those 4 players marched up to me straight after the game and got their cash and left.The other stayed and put his payment back over the bar where the local boys were doing the same and they payed to play the game.
GMac, I'm not sure what you have read into my post. Apart from "Amazing what you can stumble across online. From the Age Sept 28th 1976" I didn't make any comment on the article, but if you read it carefully you will see that the money discussed was because of a bet on the game. Couldn't, shouldn't happen nowadays.

Berwick doing a lot better then I thought. Didn’t think they would win a game but have won three and unlucky in a couple. Think the standard in prem has dropped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a chance to watch the SC prem woman train on Thursday , they train with the vets and gee there’s some talent out there , anyone know where they sit in prem landscape ?

I don't know if there is a bug in the EFNL Website. But East Doncaster Reserves lists only 11 players and also it's labeled Doncaster in the line ups. Can they field a Reserves team?

Attachments

• RES.png
    RES.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 41
I’ll go Park Orchards to kick off Premier footy with a win over North Ringwood

South Croydon over Berwick

Norwood comfortably over Doncaster

Noble comfortably over Rowville

And I’ll go Premier experience with Vermont to get the win over a strong Donny East side.

Tipped alright, except Rowville doing a number on Noble, didn’t see that coming on paper. Great win.

I don't know if there is a bug in the EFNL Website. But East Doncaster Reserves lists only 11 players and also it's labeled Doncaster in the line ups. Can they field a Reserves team?
I noticed that as well. Both East Doncaster and Doncaster reserves had very small numbers according to the EFNL website and perhaps very low scores as a result. Bob can you clear any of this up. Are the listed teams accurate?

Could it be that Doncaster East Reserves were a bunch of fill-ins and possibly not registered players. Could be Dads, Uncles, friends, etc. Seen this happen at other clubs with low numbers.

Could it be that Doncaster East Reserves were a bunch of fill-ins and possibly not registered players. Could be Dads, Uncles, friends, etc. Seen this happen at other clubs with low numbers.
Dylan should come back then!
You can't win a Divvy B&F playing in a forward line if the ball doesn't get down there.

Covid related perhaps. If it is I'm cancelling all my trips to Shopping Town for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back