B Section Premier B - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got a report on the De La game from last weekend? Fortress Dairy Bell seems to have had all 4 walls kicked in by Uni. I haven't had a chance to see the Blue and Gold live yet but I'm a little worried with the start to season for my boys.

The premiership race is wide open and may not be the 2 horse race that was predicted.
There are four rather than 2, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Haileybury and Beaumaris meet on GF day. Haileybury have a severe depth issue however so injuries might change that quickly. The middle to bottom group is interesting too with Williamstown,Ajax, Fitzroy, Old Carey and SBMT all looking competitive on their day. Games against each other will likely determine who fills the relegation spot, so even in early days Willy’s win against De La may be huge, and you wonder how important home ground advantages for them and the Tigers could help

Anyone got a report on the De La game from last weekend? Fortress Dairy Bell seems to have had all 4 walls kicked in by Uni. I haven't had a chance to see the Blue and Gold live yet but I'm a little worried with the start to season for my boys.

The premiership race is wide open and may not be the 2 horse race that was predicted.
Not sure why anyone thought it would be 2 horse race. I am on record as saying Blacks and Hailebury were my pre-season fancies with a few others having decent claims also. In regard to the game. DLS got jumped by a well drilled, well organised and well coached team who were really up for the contest. Last week the 3-goal margin against Willy flattered us but in this game the final score was not really a true indication. After an early Blacks onslaught (think it was 25-1 after 10 minutes) it was pretty even until very late when it blew out a bit. Blacks were super impressive but are very beatable. Conversely we are not going that well but will get better.

I know we all get injuries and cannot use that as an excuse but we the reality is that it is not always how many but who. I won’t rattle off names but anyone with any idea of VAFA football will recognise some prominent names who are missing who we simply cannot cover when absent. To be fair Blacks had a few out as well. Reckon we have used north of 30 players already so probably due for a change of luck.

Of the others Haileybury’s top end is sensational but their depth is horrible and will not sustain them through winter if they get a bad run of injuries. Beauy on the other are very even across the board and their two’s also travelling nicely. They have teased before with early season form only to fall away so I am not sold on them yet and look forward to seeing them in action in round 5. A few clubs flying under the radar and aside from Parkdale it looks wide open.

Anyone else having trouble viewing the ladders on the VAFA website?

Struggled to get much of anything last night, including scores from other leagues but it seems better today. In defence of the VAFA, clearly the platform imposed on all competitions by their political masters cannot manage the traffic. I am hoping that as the largest football body in the country they are agitating hard for improvements. The same situation has repeated every Saturday for years and it’s just not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another first for me with a trip out to the magnificent Brunswick Street oval. Parking aside it was a brilliant experience. Not sure if the balmy weather bought out the locals or some drifted in from the Edinburgh Gardens but there was a huge crowd (by VAFA B grade H&A standards) in attendance, particularly on the hill to the east of the grandstand. Similar to the healthy attendance at Willy a few weeks back. Perhaps the suburban punters are keen to see their mob in action against what until last year was a long term “A” grade team and historically a VAFA power club, albeit times have changed (just ask other traditional powers e.g. Ormond, NOB’s, Parade etc).

Fitzroy sure play with heart and close to half time they lead by 3 goals, which pleased the vocal hordes on the hill (I did note a fairly liberal application of the VAFA no alcohol policy !). From that point we slowly got on top and recorded a much-needed win. Having used well over 30 players already this year I think we got through unscathed so hopefully selection will be a bit easier this week. Beaumaris at home which will be a huge game in the context of the season. Great effort by them to get within a kick of Blacks at the Uni and they should start very warm favourites.

I see ex Essendon listed Noah Gown played his first game for Haileybury on Saturday along with some other useful VFL players who seem to have been squeezed out of their respective teams. They dismantled the Jackas who had been going ok to that point. They look the team to beat right now.

Last edited:
Hailbury very good on the weekend. #28 for St. Bedes seems to be getting some tough matchups this season, got torched again on the weekend by Loewe #1. Bit of a rugby match down at St. Bedes reserve not a very good game to watch.

Who should i go watch this weekend gents?

I also second that, I have seen #28 from St Bedes get absolutely battered this year. Beaumaris look the goods, should have beaten Blacks out at their home. Will take them to pound town out at shark park.

# of players used in 2021 so far:
UB - 32
Beaumaris - 28
OH - 28
Williamstown - 32
OC - 29
De La - 32
Ajax - 30
Fitzroy - 32
St Bedes - 30
Parkdale - 30

Numbers mean different things to different clubs but interesting that the Blacks have gone through so many. Must have some solid depth to be 4-0. Will be interesting to see what happens when this evens out throughout the year, especially OH who seem to have no depth in the 2's. Hopefully winter is kind to them.

UB - 32
Beaumaris - 28
OH - 28
Williamstown - 32
OC - 29
De La - 32
Ajax - 30
Fitzroy - 32
St Bedes - 30
Parkdale - 30

Numbers mean different things to different clubs but interesting that the Blacks have gone through so many. Must have some solid depth to be 4-0. Will be interesting to see what happens when this evens out throughout the year, especially OH who seem to have no depth in the 2's. Hopefully winter is kind to them.
You only need to have a crap at Uni and you are 1 point , they are a joke

UB - 32
Beaumaris - 28
OH - 28
Williamstown - 32
OC - 29
De La - 32
Ajax - 30
Fitzroy - 32
St Bedes - 30
Parkdale - 30

4 clubs having used 32 by Rd 4 is a lot. In our case the player turnover is due to injury. For others form or VFL players bouncing in and out. Agree Blacks to be 4-0 with those numbers reflects some very solid depth and they sure did a number on us a few weeks back. As mentioned previously Haileybury’s top end the best in the division. They have been fortunate so far to have a settled line-up as they do not bat very deep.

Brindisi St Tigers over Panthers
Willy over the Jackers
Uni over Vultures
Bloods over Roys
De La over the Sharks in the game of the round, this one will be tight and could go either way

You only need to have a crap at Uni and you are 1 point , they are a joke
Bedford, not sure you’re keeping up here. It’s how many players have been used, not how many Player Points accrued.
Can you elaborate on the players for Uni you thought might accrue more points?
Should Melbourne Uni start a junior club, maybe u/9’s so that they are able to create a stream of “local” 1 pointers?

Bedford, not sure you’re keeping up here. It’s how many players have been used, not how many Player Points accrued.
Can you elaborate on the players for Uni you thought might accrue more points?
Should Melbourne Uni start a junior club, maybe u/9’s so that they are able to create a stream of “local” 1 pointers?
Darwin the issue here is the extremely generous 1-point allocation to Melbourne Uni clubs. Has been discussed ad nauseum so probably no point going over old ground but the comparison with school clubs, who require 3 years attendance at that particular institution, compared to part time or on-line only enrolment at an education facility that is not actually Melbourne University and not for any defined period was a nonsense.

The angts was/is directed more at Blues then Blacks who won a GF right on the PPV limit with plenty of 1 pointers who never actually went to Melbourne Uni. No point opening that can of worms again but any way you slice it the criteria was wrong and unfair. This was recognised by the VAFA and has (to some extent) been corrected.

In regard to junior clubs – for many years Blues and Blacks had strong and competitive U19s playing in the Premier grade of the U19 competition. Seems they are now nothing more than an afterthought and nowadays the Uni clubs target mature players from the AFL/VFL rather than relying on the previous U19 pathway. I acknowledge there are other reasons for this and also acknowledge that the Uni clubs (and the rest of us) have been drawn into an arms race created by others. Blues and to a lesser extent Blacks recruitment networks are obviously top notch and credit to them. But whether you agree with the points system or not, if we are going to have it there needs to be some fairness and transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back