Prime Judd V Cousins V Kerr, who wins?

With the 1st pick in the AFL draft WCE select ' '

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On his day Kerr was scintillating but as good as he could be he is easily last out of the three for me. He was often shut down when Cuz and Judd weren't there to take the best taggers. Injuries played a part but he had a lot of quiet games in the last few years.

I loved Cousins' work rate, wasn't a bad finisher either (stats might not back this up but from memory he seemed a better finisher than Judd has been overall) and rank him as my fav player with Wirra and P. Matera who I didn't see as much of. Judd did some things Cousins couldn't and had the obvious pace early in his career - I remember watching that Brisbane game a number of ya'll have mentioned. - Overall though I'd still take Cousins who from the word go was a champion up until his 11-12 years were up at WC... Without the groin injury I think it would be Judd though.

Our guys ended Brisbane's glory era imo. Judd especially, used to carve them up. I remember one game when he kicked 5 goals against them (which was about the time I thought we were entering our own dynasty). We owned Brisbane post 2004
Yep, he kicked 5 goals in the first half. Judd's 5 goals (especially the last 2) are my only memories from that game. I think I and every other Eagle supporter probably creamed ourselves at half time thinking, "my god, how good is this kid".

orgasmic...

Theres a Judd goal at around the 2.00 mark where Chick provides an awesome block for him to get free and kick it, thats what our current side is missing (apart from three superstar mids).
As a side topic, was thinking about this the other weekend, the shepard seems to have gone out of the window a bit, players will be 3 metres in front calling for a handball instead of laying a shepard and creating 15 metres of space for someone they will try gain 3 metres.

Not just at the eagles but across the league, it used to be instinct for players and is now almost obsolete, the amount of times players will almost stuff up the ball carriers disposal/up field vision by running 3m ahead is ridiculous.

Also ridiculous is anyone saying "by a landslide", "comfortably" etc when comparing the 3 mids, gtfo!

I'd still have Brisbane's midfield ahead of ours

Voss
Black
Akermanis
Lappin (Very under rated)
Power
Pike
Scott brothers
Notting
etc

They had great midfield depth

Nope. The 2 midfields were tested a number of times with us winning the battle about 4-1. That was before our GF years as well.
Scott brothers were defenders IIRC.

Nope. The 2 midfields were tested a number of times with us winning the battle about 4-1. That was before our GF years as well.
Scott brothers were defenders IIRC.
Do you include rucks in the midfield?

I would say Brisbane probably had the better eight-man rotation but our best centre square combination was better than theirs.

Pure talent
Judd
Kerr
Cousins

Best inside Midfielder
Judd
Kerr
Cousins

Best outside Midfielder
Cousins
Judd
Kerr

Best Leader
Cousins
Judd
Kerr

Best Goal kicker
Judd
Cousins
Kerr

Most consistent
Cousins
Judd
Kerr

Overall
Judd
Cousins
Kerr

Yep, he kicked 5 goals in the first half. Judd's 5 goals (especially the last 2) are my only memories from that game. I think I and every other Eagle supporter probably creamed ourselves at half time thinking, "my god, how good is this kid".

orgasmic...

For the guys arguing for Ben Cousins. Benny actually got the 3 votes that day ;)

Yes I did include the ruck.
Dean Cox
In that case, I think we had the edge in the centre square combination.

Not much between Judd, Cousins, Kerr vs Voss, Black, Lappin/Akermanis. But Cox vs Keating tilts the scales our way.

kerr and judd were beasts at getting the ball and doing something with it.Cousins got a lot of his possessions from running behind the man taking a kick.
at their absolute best I would go judd ,kerr cousins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judds best was by far and away the better of the 3. Kerr nor Cousins could get anywhere near Judd at his best, 5 goals in a half against the best side in the AFL? Not a chance.

Overall contribution to the club, I would funnily enough say cousins. I feel his work ethic and leadership are the only reasons why we won that flag. If we had gone through that period without a flag, it would have been a travesty.

kerr and judd were beasts at getting the ball and doing something with it.Cousins got a lot of his possessions from running behind the man taking a kick.
at their absolute best I would go judd ,kerr cousins
Worst post I've see in a while.

I don't buy for a second that Judd is a better goal kicker then Cousins, he has one bag of 5, which was that game, in which Ben was best on ground. Cousins kicked a bag of 5 in his first year of AFL football, he's every bit as dangerous around goals. Those 2 in particular did love playing against Brisbane though, they had other stand out games in that early 00's period, in that particular game Cousins got 35 touches, 11 I50, 6 clearances, 2 goal assists and a goal.

Judd's best game he ever played was in 06 against the lions as well, had about 38 touches and 4 goals!

Worst post I've see in a while.

I don't buy for a second that Judd is a better goal kicker then Cousins, he has one bag of 5, which was that game, in which Ben was best on ground. Cousins kicked a bag of 5 in his first year of AFL football, he's every bit as dangerous around goals. Those 2 in particular did love playing against Brisbane though, they had other stand out games in that early 00's period, in that particular game Cousins got 35 touches, 11 I50, 6 clearances, 2 goal assists and a goal.

Judd's best game he ever played was in 06 against the lions as well, had about 38 touches and 4 goals!
Judd averaged better than one goal per game during his time at WC. Cousins didn't, despite having his numbers boosted by playing in a FP when he started out.

Judd kicked 20 goals in five of his six season at WC. Cousins managed that in six seasons out of 11, not including his interrupted 2007. That includes his first three seasons, though, when he wasn't a full-time midfielder.

When you look at it like that, I definitely think it's fair to say Judd was a better goal-kicking midfielder than Cousins.

The more I think about it, the more I am sure of Judd's best being comfortably better than the other two. People keep posting this and that, but nothing has even come close to swaying my opinion and nor have I felt the need to concede any ground whatsoever.

The more I think about it, the more I am sure of Judd's best being comfortably better than the other two. People keep posting this and that, but nothing has even come close to swaying my opinion and nor have I felt the need to concede any ground whatsoever.
During Judd's prime years(04-07), I clearly felt he was on another level to Cousins and Kerr. Nearly every other Eagle supporter I talked to at the time felt the same way, it was a pretty unanimous decision.

Now, 10 years later, the general opinion seems to have swayed quite a bit- especially towards Cousins.

I'm not sure if this has to do with people being angry that Judd left, therefore subconsciously changing their perception of his playing days with us or what. There's no shortage of people on here that don't view his character favourably(greedy, disloyal, mercenary).

But then again, depending on where you sit on the fence with the Cousins drugs saga, his legacy might be viewed negatively, but the overall sentiment is he is still well enamoured by fans.

Kerr's constant struggle with injuries and taggers ever his last 5 years might of also hurt people's perception of how good he was at his peak as well.

It's an interesting one. Maybe, I'm just wrong and biased or my memory is failing me:D. I'm just thinking out loud here.

As a side topic, was thinking about this the other weekend, the shepard seems to have gone out of the window a bit, players will be 3 metres in front calling for a handball instead of laying a shepard and creating 15 metres of space for someone they will try gain 3 metres.

Not just at the eagles but across the league, it used to be instinct for players and is now almost obsolete, the amount of times players will almost stuff up the ball carriers disposal/up field vision by running 3m ahead is ridiculous.

Also ridiculous is anyone saying "by a landslide", "comfortably" etc when comparing the 3 mids, gtfo!

I have noticed that too. Especially some of our poorer users of the footy, they run beside a Shuey or a Gaff asking for the handball while they are being chased. Not to mention drawing another man to the play who is chasing them.

During Judd's prime years(04-07), I clearly felt he was on another level to Cousins and Kerr. Nearly every other Eagle supporter I talked to at the time felt the same way, it was a pretty unanimous decision.

Now, 10 years later, the general opinion seems to have swayed quite a bit- especially towards Cousins.

I'm not sure if this has to do with people being angry that Judd left, therefore subconsciously changing their perception of his playing days with us or what. There's no shortage of people on here that don't view his character favourably(greedy, disloyal, mercenary).

But then again, depending on where you sit on the fence with the Cousins drugs saga, his legacy might be viewed negatively, but the overall sentiment is he is still well enamoured by fans.

Kerr's constant struggle with injuries and taggers ever his last 5 years might of also hurt people's perception of how good he was at his peak as well.

It's an interesting one. Maybe, I'm just wrong and biased or my memory is failing me:D. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Memories aren't perfect things. They can be swayed by emotions and other things.

For me I always felt Judd was protected more by all in sundry teammates & umpires, while Kerr & Cousins took hits off the ball with no reward.
For that reason Kerr's bravery is underrated. The amount of times he took a hit from a bigger player so that he could get the releasing handball was pretty brave. Judd & Cousins were much better at dodging contact in play but Cousins was a target for a long time for cheap shots. He still has those scratch marks on his arms from Libba I think.

But talent in prime...yeah Judd. While also saying that I thought it was obvious without Kerr's drive in the '05 GF and '06 before he came back late with that foot problem. The difference when he was in our team was remarkable from what I remember.

Back