QAFA (B) Central-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll comment on this because I filled in and helped jimboomba on sat there was 3 of us 1 played a total of 10 mins due to an injury and the other 1 player has played 1 game for Moorooka and the reserves coach thought he would be better for the run. I played because we had the bye and we have another bye in 2 weeks time and redbacks were still trying to scrap a team together with 15 minutes before the bounce. It was a tough game and Sandgate have big bodies and hit hard, good game and enjoyed it heaps. Redbacks are a terrific group of lads. Good luck to everyone in this comp .
Yeah all good from our end we were just keen for a good hit out which we got...I actually enjoyed the game Jimboombas ground was in fantastic nick...Another flogging was not what we needed as a side so if they were struggling for numbers all good...I just think there needs to be a bit of clarity around the rules in these lower divisions because so far it's just been a case of whenever whoever however which I'm not sure is the intention of this grade...

won't help anyone in the finals, as there are no permits allowed.

Pretty sure Moorooka President is the brother of Jimboomba President - so no surprises there is some player sharing happening.

Yeah all good from our end we were just keen for a good hit out which we got...I actually enjoyed the game Jimboombas ground was in fantastic nick...Another flogging was not what we needed as a side so if they were struggling for numbers all good...I just think there needs to be a bit of clarity around the rules in these lower divisions because so far it's just been a case of whenever whoever however which I'm not sure is the intention of this grade...

Very valid point tigerhawk, but a tough one to address..... Remember in this division you are either:

A club's "3rds team" meaning (in theory) players can curently move freely from one team to the other (till 30 June); or
A stand alone team which means you may have to carry a lot of players on your list to counter for "unavailables".

So what do you do if you haven't got a lot of players and find yourself short one week? Forfeits are frowned upon and can jepordise the future of the club. The 30 June cut-off goes someway to prevent playing "outsiders" but by this time, most of the season has been played. As QAFL says, it's not going to help them come finals time as they can't play on permit and won't have qualified enough games.

I think this is an anomoly that may not be cleared up in the immediate future. Because I'm not sure how you would police it without affecting some clubs. But in all honesty, it's not done with any deliberate deceit in mind and doesn't happen that often.

June 30 is a myth. It's a cutoff for clearances, not permits.

you can still play players on permit all the way up until the finals, so there is possibly a temptation for a club that needs to win in the final round to play finals to maybe 'massage' their team to get over the line...

Very straight kicking out at Jimboomba.

As for the dropping standard, I find that around this time of year the conditions for night games have become a few degrees more slippery. More rain, decks are slower to dry out, there's more dew.

Wonder if that is a factor. In higher grades guys are better over the ball, so the conditions have less impact on the quality of play. Plus they play in the sunshine. Around this time of year I reckon the difference in standard between grades usually becomes that bit more marked.

Very straight kicking out at Jimboomba.

As for the dropping standard, I find that around this time of year the conditions for night games have become a few degrees more slippery. More rain, decks are slower to dry out, there's more dew.

Wonder if that is a factor. In higher grades guys are better over the ball, so the conditions have less impact on the quality of play. Plus they play in the sunshine. Around this time of year I reckon the difference in standard between grades usually becomes that bit more marked.

There's an marked difference to playing on a cold, dewy Fri night and the bright (and dry) sunshine of a Saturday I agree. But I reckon the cold nights have an affect on numbers at training too which may have an impact on skill drop off. Perhaps not in the higher divisions where you're fighting for a spot in the seniors, but stand alone teams? Apart from Wynnum, I don't know if you'd be getting full attendances this time of year for this Div.

What are the numbers like around the clubs? I can recall the Woodsmen in years gone by cancelling training because only 4 or 5 blokes showed up.

There's an marked difference to playing on a cold, dewy Fri night and the bright (and dry) sunshine of a Saturday I agree. But I reckon the cold nights have an affect on numbers at training too which may have an impact on skill drop off. Perhaps not in the higher divisions where you're fighting for a spot in the seniors, but stand alone teams? Apart from Wynnum, I don't know if you'd be getting full attendances this time of year for this Div.

What are the numbers like around the clubs? I can recall the Woodsmen in years gone by cancelling training because only 4 or 5 blokes showed up.

Hey King, you think the cold does not affect us out here at Wynnum. Coach gets pretty frustrated with our numbers some nights as well.
Atmosphere at Kedron last Friday nite was terrible. No spectators, cold nite, Kedron struggling for a team. The Kedron boys were all good but still not a great feel about the night.

Does anyone know the finals set up for this division. I see last year it was a 4 team finals. Is it the same this year or 5 teams?

5 teams

Assuming higher team wins, it goes like this

Week 1:

1 - week off

2 vs 3 - qualifying final

4 vs 5 - elimination final

Week 2:

1 v 2 - Prelim final

3 v 4 - Semi final

Week 3:

1 - week off

2 v 3 Prelim Final

Week 4:

1 v 2 - Grand Final

I think there are 4 genuine Premiership threats in this Division, so it should be interesting.

Woodsmen obvious standouts, but they never finish seasons strongly!

Wynnum putting up a good show in 2nd place

Sandgate - strong core, different from week to week but will be good when it counts

Jimboomba - experienced campaigners, been at the pointy end every year including 3 premierships. When they have their best 22 together, will be a real darkhorse.

Nobody else looks threatening outside those 4.

Hey King, you think the cold does not affect us out here at Wynnum. Coach gets pretty frustrated with our numbers some nights as well.
Atmosphere at Kedron last Friday nite was terrible. No spectators, cold nite, Kedron struggling for a team. The Kedron boys were all good but still not a great feel about the night.

Does anyone know the finals set up for this division. I see last year it was a 4 team finals. Is it the same this year or 5 teams?

Sorry mate, my thinking was only that there's obviously spots up for grabs at Wynnum (as suggested in an earlier post), so there'd be numbers regardless of the weather.

QAFL love your analysis but I think you''ll find the Reddies only have 2 flags not 3. 2010 and 2011. Mind you they've made 4 GF's since 2009 so they can't be discounted. It just depends on whether the numbers issue that they had last Saturday is ongoing.

And you're writing off Yeronga?. Last years Grand Finalists? You're saying the clock's gone past 1 and the premiership window has closed? Gee there's going to be some unhappy people reading that. :)

Mind you based on their draw, you might have a point.

With no bar duties at Moorooka tomorrow night, I'm wondering if there is a game worth heading to on Friday night? Or should I stay home and watch yet another Jekkyl and Hyde performance by my beloved (but that's fast running out) Kangas?

Yeronga are no good mate. I've watched them a few times. Even with the odd ring in from other grades, they have no top end talent like some of the other teams do.

From what I saw last year, they only made the GF because everyone else had given up on the flag due to the Zillmere juggernaught. They still had a losing record against some other teams in the league.

Though yeronga are lacking any real star talent that the other top 5 have they are a team who get high numbers to training and are well drilled. Jimboomba haven't beaten them in 2 years. I wouldn't put them in grand final contention but I do reckon they are very likely to cause an upset in finals time. I'm tipping a Sandgate v woodsmen final cause both teams should have their strongest players playing for the final series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeronga to upset Sandgate by 5 goals tonight. Jimboomba to beat collingwood park. Wynnum to beat uq. Kenmore to beat kedron. Zillmere to beat springfeild lakes in a tight game.

Jimboomba vs Collingwood Park a tight match right from the start, with CP getting the early jump with two quick goals that Jimboomba got back instantly. Match was close for most of the match however the skill level of Jimboomba just won out in the end as well as getting numbers to the contest and working at ground level. CP will be disappointed, but not upset about that loss as they fought hard all night and continued to battle it out until the end. Jimboomba will need to improve a little to be a serious threat, though there are certain patches of football that they play where it seems they could definitely match it with the best in the comp.

Yeronga do like to play negative counter attacking footy, which suits their small ground. Flood back and clog up the oppositions attack zone and then run and gun.

Is Ross Lyon coaching them?

I've been saying it all year, Sandgate are the darkhorse and will likely have a full compliment when the whips are cracking. If Woodsmen can hold their side together, these 2 are the teams to beat imo.

Yeronga do like to play negative counter attacking footy, which suits their small ground. Flood back and clog up the oppositions attack zone and then run and gun.

Is Ross Lyon coaching them?

I've been saying it all year, Sandgate are the darkhorse and will likely have a full compliment when the whips are cracking. If Woodsmen can hold their side together, these 2 are the teams to beat imo.

Gosh it's got quiet...... is it the calm before the storm?..... (no that's not a shot at anyone form Springfield).....:)

Hey QAFL what sort of trouble are you stirring in the other forums? Mergers/Club movements into higher divisons/Upsetting the boys from Robina.........

Been watching those leagues the past few weeks, standard dropping in this league and my 'local ' game seems to have disappeared for the year.

Really enjoying the footy being played by Kenmore and Yeronga in the QFA South League - shame about Springwood being unbeatable..

Only four games this weekend and all pretty clear cut I think:
Yeronga by 10 goals
Woodsmen by 20 goals
Kenmore by 10
Sandgate by 14

Only four games this weekend and all pretty clear cut I think:
Yeronga by 10 goals
Woodsmen by 20 goals
Kenmore by 10
Sandgate by 14

I'm loathe to picking margins (as the inconsistency of teams week to week is the only constant in this league), so......

Yeronga
Woodsmen
Kenmore
Sandgate

Yeronga to have the extra run and class in the end to run over CP. I don't think Collingwood Park will be disgraced though. Woodsmen should win comfortably, not sure if it will be a 20 goal smashing but I'm thinking they should get it done pretty easy. UQ with a bit of improvement in the last couple of weeks, unfortunately will still fall short, let's hope that game is competitive to the end though. The toll may start getting to some Springfield players so this really depends on the Sandgate team that shows up on Saturday, though they should win well.

Little Will Saver must be close to being back by now, so Colly Park could have improved a bit. They beat Yeronga last start without him, so who knows?

I'd still back the Devils in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back