QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 2

Aspley V Redland

Played 25: Aspley 14 wins – Redland 11
This season represents 50 years since these two clubs started competing against each other – albeit with some large gaps in between.
In 1974, both clubs found themselves in the Third Division of SQAFA. Redland were into their second season of Seniors, whilst Aspley were making their Senior debut. It was a short season for the developing division – Aspley and Redland acquitted themselves well finishing first and second respectively after the fixtures. During the finals, the Sharks won the Semi-Final by 2 points, yet the Hornets got the better of their opponents in the Grand Final winning by four points.
After that initial season, Aspley was promoted rapidly, moving into First Division of SQAFA. Redland had to bide their time, not meeting their northside rivals again until they were elevated in 1988.
From 1988 to 1999, the two clubs met 29 times, with Aspley winning 21 games to Redland’s 7. One result is unknown (1998) – although it was probably won by Redland, I just can’t prove it yet. The Sharks were virtually unbeatable in the competition during these final two season, so were promoted to the AFLQ in 2000.
Another nine years passed before they met again in AFLQ Div 1 when Aspley was brought into AFLQ Division 1. Since that year, they have clashed 25 times (2009 to 2015, & 2022 to 2023), with the ledger favouring Aspley by 14 to 11. Aspley has been successful in the past six clashes (three of those games were finals). Of these 25 games, four have been decided by less than 10 points.
Overall, we’re looking at a record of 54 games, with Aspley leading 35 to 19 (allowing for that one assumption).
Depending upon who you talk to, either of these clubs could be the premiership favourite for 2024. It ought to be a mighty clash.

Broadbeach V Labrador
Played 61: Broadbeach 40 – Labrador 21
This record covers their QAFL years of 1997 to 2023. Unfortunately, I have no details of their clashes which, without looking it up, could cover the seasons from 1970 to 1996. There could have easily been a further 80+ games between these two entities.
Of the 61 results we know, 8 have been decided by a single-digit margin. There have been some massive hidings – but I can’t see that being the case this weekend.
(Another item of note: both of these clubs will play their 500th fixture at QAFL-level this season. Stay tuned.)

Morningside V Maroochydore
Played 10: Morningside 7 – Maroochydore 3
At Senior level, these two clubs never met until 1998 when Maroochydore were invited into the QSFL. That stint only lasted two seasons (1998 – 1999). They did not clash again until 2020.
The record stands at Morningside seven wins to Maroochydore three – but remarkably, the Panthers won the first seven, and the Roos have won the last three. The closest result was their last game, an eight point margin in Round 7 last year.
Morningside only need two points to clear 1,000 points against Maroochydore – whilst the Roos will bring up their 100th goal against the Panthers when they kick their fifth this weekend. (I bet you’ll sleep better tonight knowing that!)

Wilston Grange V Noosa
Played 10: Wilston Grange 8 – Noosa 2
Another relatively meagre record at QAFL level, covering the years 2011 to 2013, and 2020 to 2023 – and at 8 – 2, it has certainly been dominated by the Gorillas. Two games have been decided by less than ten points. We have often witnessed a close contest, as seven of the ten games have had a margin of less than three goals.
Their history goes further back. First meeting in the BAFL, the two clubs have also clashed from 1998 to 2000, and 2002 to 2010. In contrast to their QAFL record, the head-to-head results of this period is led by Noosa with 24 wins, Grange had 5 wins, and there was one draw.
Combine it all together, and the records stands as: 40 games, Wilston Grange 13 wins, 1 draw, Noosa 26 wins.

Mt Gravatt V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 20: Mt Gravatt 2 – Palm Beach 18
I’m not sure what to say here. The two clubs have met in every season since 2014 – but never crossed paths before that. The Lions have an outstanding record during that time. In fact, the Vultures last victory over this week’s opponent was in Round 12 2017.
Whilst three games have been decided by single-digit margins, it’s tough to think that will be the case this weekend. However, it is being played at Dittmer Park – and one of the best aspects of football is when the unpredictable happens.

Sherwood V Surfers Paradise
Played 22: Sherwood 13 – Surfers Paradise 9
It’s a disjointed and tumultuous history. From the records I have available, Sherwood and Surfers Paradise have clashed in 2000, 2005 to 2008, and then 2011 to 2023 (QAFL level). They also played against each other in the Gold Coast League during 1998 and 1999 – although those records are not available to me at present.
Sherwood had a terrific streak of wins during the 2005 to 2008 stint, when the two clubs met nine times with the Magpies victorious each time.
Based on the records I have, the overall record is 34 games with Sherwood 23 and Surfers Paradise 11. Recent history has definitely been good to the Demons. However, this game is the first fixture at Powenyenna Oval for the season, so I would expect Sherwood to be keen for a positive result.

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Tips for Round 2

Aspley
Broadbeach
Morningside
Wilston Grange
Palm Beach
Surfers Paradise

Thanks.

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 2

Aspley V Redland

Played 25: Aspley 14 wins – Redland 11
This season represents 50 years since these two clubs started competing against each other – albeit with some large gaps in between.
In 1974, both clubs found themselves in the Third Division of SQAFA. Redland were into their second season of Seniors, whilst Aspley were making their Senior debut. It was a short season for the developing division – Aspley and Redland acquitted themselves well finishing first and second respectively after the fixtures. During the finals, the Sharks won the Semi-Final by 2 points, yet the Hornets got the better of their opponents in the Grand Final winning by four points.
After that initial season, Aspley was promoted rapidly, moving into First Division of SQAFA. Redland had to bide their time, not meeting their northside rivals again until they were elevated in 1988.
From 1988 to 1999, the two clubs met 29 times, with Aspley winning 21 games to Redland’s 7. One result is unknown (1998) – although it was probably won by Redland, I just can’t prove it yet. The Sharks were virtually unbeatable in the competition during these final two season, so were promoted to the AFLQ in 2000.
Another nine years passed before they met again in AFLQ Div 1 when Aspley was brought into AFLQ Division 1. Since that year, they have clashed 25 times (2009 to 2015, & 2022 to 2023), with the ledger favouring Aspley by 14 to 11. Aspley has been successful in the past six clashes (three of those games were finals). Of these 25 games, four have been decided by less than 10 points.
Overall, we’re looking at a record of 54 games, with Aspley leading 35 to 19 (allowing for that one assumption).
Depending upon who you talk to, either of these clubs could be the premiership favourite for 2024. It ought to be a mighty clash.

Broadbeach V Labrador
Played 61: Broadbeach 40 – Labrador 21
This record covers their QAFL years of 1997 to 2023. Unfortunately, I have no details of their clashes which, without looking it up, could cover the seasons from 1970 to 1996. There could have easily been a further 80+ games between these two entities.
Of the 61 results we know, 8 have been decided by a single-digit margin. There have been some massive hidings – but I can’t see that being the case this weekend.
(Another item of note: both of these clubs will play their 500th fixture at QAFL-level this season. Stay tuned.)

Morningside V Maroochydore
Played 10: Morningside 7 – Maroochydore 3
At Senior level, these two clubs never met until 1998 when Maroochydore were invited into the QSFL. That stint only lasted two seasons (1998 – 1999). They did not clash again until 2020.
The record stands at Morningside seven wins to Maroochydore three – but remarkably, the Panthers won the first seven, and the Roos have won the last three. The closest result was their last game, an eight point margin in Round 7 last year.
Morningside only need two points to clear 1,000 points against Maroochydore – whilst the Roos will bring up their 100th goal against the Panthers when they kick their fifth this weekend. (I bet you’ll sleep better tonight knowing that!)

Wilston Grange V Noosa
Played 10: Wilston Grange 8 – Noosa 2
Another relatively meagre record at QAFL level, covering the years 2011 to 2013, and 2020 to 2023 – and at 8 – 2, it has certainly been dominated by the Gorillas. Two games have been decided by less than ten points. We have often witnessed a close contest, as seven of the ten games have had a margin of less than three goals.
Their history goes further back. First meeting in the BAFL, the two clubs have also clashed from 1998 to 2000, and 2002 to 2010. In contrast to their QAFL record, the head-to-head results of this period is led by Noosa with 24 wins, Grange had 5 wins, and there was one draw.
Combine it all together, and the records stands as: 40 games, Wilston Grange 13 wins, 1 draw, Noosa 26 wins.

Mt Gravatt V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 20: Mt Gravatt 2 – Palm Beach 18
I’m not sure what to say here. The two clubs have met in every season since 2014 – but never crossed paths before that. The Lions have an outstanding record during that time. In fact, the Vultures last victory over this week’s opponent was in Round 12 2017.
Whilst three games have been decided by single-digit margins, it’s tough to think that will be the case this weekend. However, it is being played at Dittmer Park – and one of the best aspects of football is when the unpredictable happens.

Sherwood V Surfers Paradise
Played 22: Sherwood 13 – Surfers Paradise 9
It’s a disjointed and tumultuous history. From the records I have available, Sherwood and Surfers Paradise have clashed in 2000, 2005 to 2008, and then 2011 to 2023 (QAFL level). They also played against each other in the Gold Coast League during 1998 and 1999 – although those records are not available to me at present.
Sherwood had a terrific streak of wins during the 2005 to 2008 stint, when the two clubs met nine times with the Magpies victorious each time.
Based on the records I have, the overall record is 34 games with Sherwood 23 and Surfers Paradise 11. Recent history has definitely been good to the Demons. However, this game is the first fixture at Powenyenna Oval for the season, so I would expect Sherwood to be keen for a positive result.

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:
Great research mate 👍

Round 1 Results

I want to try bringing something different to this thread. Some people will see it as a colossal waste of time (and I’m certainly not going to argue otherwise) – but some others will get a kick out of it. Anyway, here goes….

There is a bloke on Twitter who runs an account called AFL_scorigami, in which he identifies how often a recent score has occurred in past AFL/VFL fixtures. It is completely trivial – but could offer a glimpse into the local code’s past. A few examples, and you’ll see what I’m on about:

Surfers Paradise 18-16-124 d Noosa 8-6-54
In the 8,400+ previous results, this score has never occurred before.

Aspley 10-21-81 d Broadbeach 7-7-49
This score has occurred three times previously:
1937 R6: South Brisbane 12-9-81 d Mayne 7-7-49
1958 R9: Wilston Grange 12-9-81 d Morningside 8-1-49
2007 R13: Morningside 11-15-81 d Mt Gravatt 5-19-49

Redland-Vic Point 22-8-140 d Maroochydore 7-8-50
This score has never occurred before.

Morningside 22-8-140 d Labrador 14-16-100
This score has occurred once previously:
1982 R5: Coorparoo 20-20-140 d Sandgate 15-10-100

Sherwood 20-21-141 d Mt Gravatt 6-5-41
1996 R12: Mt Gravatt 21-15-141 d Mayne 6-5-41

Palm Beach Currumbin 18-10-118 d Wilston Grange 17-12-114
I’ve deliberately left this one to last. Surprisingly, this score has never occurred before. However, the margin of 4 points has moved this result into outright fourth place of Most Frequent Margins:
1st: 22 points – 145 times
2nd: 1 point - 142 times
2nd: 27 points - 142 times
4th: 4 points - 136 times
5th: 8 points - 135 times
5th: 20 points - 135 times

Round 1 Results

I want to try bringing something different to this thread. Some people will see it as a colossal waste of time (and I’m certainly not going to argue otherwise) – but some others will get a kick out of it. Anyway, here goes….

There is a bloke on Twitter who runs an account called AFL_scorigami, in which he identifies how often a recent score has occurred in past AFL/VFL fixtures. It is completely trivial – but could offer a glimpse into the local code’s past. A few examples, and you’ll see what I’m on about:

Surfers Paradise 18-16-124 d Noosa 8-6-54
In the 8,400+ previous results, this score has never occurred before.

Aspley 10-21-81 d Broadbeach 7-7-49
This score has occurred three times previously:
1937 R6: South Brisbane 12-9-81 d Mayne 7-7-49
1958 R9: Wilston Grange 12-9-81 d Morningside 8-1-49
2007 R13: Morningside 11-15-81 d Mt Gravatt 5-19-49

Redland-Vic Point 22-8-140 d Maroochydore 7-8-50
This score has never occurred before.

Morningside 22-8-140 d Labrador 14-16-100
1982 R5: Coorparoo 20-20-140 d Sandgate 15-10-100

Sherwood 20-21-141 d Mt Gravatt 6-5-41
1996 R12: Mt Gravatt 21-15-141 d Mayne 6-5-41

Palm Beach Currumbin 18-10-118 d Wilston Grange 17-12-114
I’ve deliberately left this one to last. Surprisingly, this score has never occurred before. However, the margin of 4 points has moved this result into outright fourth place of Most Frequent Margins:
1st: 22 points – 145 times
2nd: 1 point - 142 times
2nd: 27 points - 142 times
4th: 4 points - 136 times
5th: 8 points - 135 times
5th: 20 points - 135 times
I think you might have been an accountant in another life Toucan.... :)

Hi been busy. Forgot there was tipping here, can I just get 0 first round and try to chime in from this point forward?

Really hard to find fixtures and results, Google's first two results (AFLQ and PlayHQ) are a year or two old. Eventually found mygameday which seems to be on the ball. I'm an outsider so I don't have memberships or shiz like that so its all about Google for me.

Fortunately AFLQ's youtube channel is on-song and it was fun watching the PBC v Grange game last week. Grange looked like they'd get torn a a new {redacted} but returned to see the lead about 3 times before eventually falling when a Marley kick fell short. Was like Rd 1 last year but this time instead of leading all game and getting overtaken, trailed all game then nearly overtook. I don't know much but I think Rhook seemed to impress (again) in the face of a bigger name being added to the stocks. I don't know anything about AFL level footy cause still salty about Fitzroy but the guy Grange got from Brisbane seemed to be up and about for sure, but not as effective as Rhook. Bailey stood out again as he seems to do every time I ever watch WG.

Tips for tomorrow:
Mt Gravatt v PBC (I really want Mt Gravatt to win games but PBC looked pretty good last week)
Wilston Grange v Noosa (I'm not picking WG cos theyre good but because Noosa just seem to be battling - and I hope that changed but not this week)
Morningside v Maroochydore - Morningside are always the best team, just ask them :D (I think they'll be stronger)
Broadbeach v Labrador - I went to Broadbeach last year and I like their jolliness (which might not be a valid reason to pick them but whatever)
Sherwood v Surfers (gave up trying to think about it and just randomly picked one)
Aspley v RVP (everytime I try to think about this I get lost in pseudo-science)

I think Sherwood v Surfers is the hardest one to pick.

Hi been busy. Forgot there was tipping here, can I just get 0 first round and try to chime in from this point forward?

Really hard to find fixtures and results, Google's first two results (AFLQ and PlayHQ) are a year or two old. Eventually found mygameday which seems to be on the ball. I'm an outsider so I don't have memberships or shiz like that so its all about Google for me.

Fortunately AFLQ's youtube channel is on-song and it was fun watching the PBC v Grange game last week. Grange looked like they'd get torn a a new {redacted} but returned to see the lead about 3 times before eventually falling when a Marley kick fell short. Was like Rd 1 last year but this time instead of leading all game and getting overtaken, trailed all game then nearly overtook. I don't know much but I think Rhook seemed to impress (again) in the face of a bigger name being added to the stocks. I don't know anything about AFL level footy cause still salty about Fitzroy but the guy Grange got from Brisbane seemed to be up and about for sure, but not as effective as Rhook. Bailey stood out again as he seems to do every time I ever watch WG.

Tips for tomorrow:
Mt Gravatt v PBC (I really want Mt Gravatt to win games but PBC looked pretty good last week)
Wilston Grange v Noosa (I'm not picking WG cos theyre good but because Noosa just seem to be battling - and I hope that changed but not this week)
Morningside v Maroochydore - Morningside are always the best team, just ask them :D (I think they'll be stronger)
Broadbeach v Labrador - I went to Broadbeach last year and I like their jolliness (which might not be a valid reason to pick them but whatever)
Sherwood v Surfers (gave up trying to think about it and just randomly picked one)
Aspley v RVP (everytime I try to think about this I get lost in pseudo-science)

I think Sherwood v Surfers is the hardest one to pick.
Hi Mobbs ,,
good to hear from you .. ok you are in and I will give you 2 tips for round one ok ,, but the 2 tips are a credit so along the season you need to pay these back ,, for example if you tip 6 winners one week ,, you can tell me to take off two therefore paying back your credit .. I reckon thats a good deal ,, only because you were in the comp last season and were the only one from last season not re entering this season

Hi Mobbs ,,
good to hear from you .. ok you are in and I will give you 2 tips for round one ok ,, but the 2 tips are a credit so along the season you need to pay these back ,, for example if you tip 6 winners one week ,, you can tell me to take off two therefore paying back your credit .. I reckon thats a good deal ,, only because you were in the comp last season and were the only one from last season not re entering this season
Convoluted! Just how I like it :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back