General Bombers Talk Questions and discussions that don't warrant a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Attributing our woes to the forwardline coaching is a little bit like attributing the Titanic's demise to the apocryphal deck chairs.
Our forward line woes are because of no discernible structure or strategy. That's entirely the coach.

Our forward line woes are because of no discernible structure or strategy. That's entirely the coach.

Sure; but they start in many cases with what happens further up the field. If not what happens across the whole field.

Furthermore, these issues are not exclusive to Bassett's tenure at all... the same criticisms were being leveled at Egan when he was in charge. The problem, dare I say it, might be more holistic.

Has he shown interest for the Carlton job? Or is it taken he needs more time in the AFL system before taking a senior gig?

They are because we haven't natural forwards. Never seen so many guys so unable to present a decent lead to the ball carrier.

Seemed often we were boundary side of a player we should be wrong footing to cut back inside of, only to push further boundary side and out of the play.

Even JD, (a rare breed of actual forward on our list) at one stage in the 3rd we secured the ball from a turnover on docklands side HBF, JD is on the city side wing and he looks over to the city side stands as he runs toward the Lloyd end. Thought to myself "what the * is this space cadet doing?" Probably looking at the big screen was my best guess. How the hell you are supposed to link up with someone with your back to the play has got me stuffed.

Sure; but they start in many cases with what happens further up the field. If not what happens across the whole field.

Furthermore, these issues are not exclusive to Bassett's tenure at all... the same criticisms were being leveled at Egan when he was in charge. The problem, dare I say it, might be more holistic.
I think you'll find each of the line coaches get to run their own show without any interference from the senior coach, and are in no way impended by what the senior coach does, and it's just a coincidence that we've had the same problems with all 3 of the forward line coaches we've had under Hird

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find each of the line coaches get to run their own show without any interference from the senior coach, and are in no way impended by what the senior coach does, and it's just a coincidence that we've had the same problems with all 3 of the forward line coaches we've had under Hird

But is this problem inherently what is going on in there or is it that in conjunction with how the ball goes in there to wit with great labour and duress.

If that's actually what's going on then jesus ******* christ

But is this problem inherently what is going on in there or is it that in conjunction with how the ball goes in there to wit with great labour and duress.
I don't see, given it's been so many different forward line coaches, how it could be anything other than the second option. ie it's a wider coacher problem that you can't blame on the forward line coach.

Unfortunately I agree.
Pity because the players speak highly of him. Bass gets a bad rap sometimes but he really is a good bloke. Id rather he stays than some of the other clowns in the box
That's a shame. He came out of nowhere in the SANFL, took the Redlegs to a Grand Final in his first year and they were the best team that year.
Brought them back again 2 of the next 3 years for 2 premierships. The club continued on after he left, for a third straight flag and are still in the hunt for a 4th straight.

He knows his stuff and can build and develop players and a team.
Seems he is almost a squandered resource at EFC. Hopefully he gets another good posting next year then.

As I've posted twice before and it keeps getting deleted - Bassett is the best coach to have come out of the SANFL in at least 15 years. That includes Clarkson, who had inherited Jonas' 2000 premiership winning team at Centrals.
Easily rate him above both Goddard (3 flags) and Laird (7 flags).

Does anyone know how many goals James Podsiadly kicked at Essendon Reserves? I know he played 19 games, but would really like to know how many goals he kicked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back