Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

So did jordan mcmahon. He also had terrible disposal, panicked under pressure and always went to ground in a contest...he even had a shitty mustache and a lanky body shape like pittard.
Yea good for you, doesn't change the game or your post. Jasper puts his balls on the line, and i can vouch he will be AA one day. As much as we are losing, i'd have ten Jaspers.

At the start of the year we would have penciled in a loss for this game. We couldnt beat them last year at our best. Yes they had key players out. So did we. Im as disappointed as anyone with our season but im not gonna hang them after this one. Skills deplorable. Key players out of form. The boys tried hard tonight and thats what we must keep doing. I believe in Kenny and Im thinking sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. Learn from this wasted season and come back stronger boys. If the premiership was easy to win it wouldnt be much fun would it? Stay positive, get behind the boys turn up in droves to the Portress next week.

Not to mention we came of a bye and they had a 6 day break between games. There is no excuse for that loss. At the end of the game they were without their FF, CHF, CHB, a damaging HFF and were playing several players with less than 50 games experience. Hell Nankevis kicked our butts and he was on debut. They wanted it more and worked harder.
Out bodied. Smashed by bigger bodys. We need training in how to push opposition off the ball, and basic skills.

Something Port Adelaide was good at years ago. :mad:

Yea good for you, doesn't change the game or your post. Jasper puts his balls on the line, and i can vouch he will be AA one day. As much as we are losing, i'd have ten Jaspers.

Lol even fistingrisk was wavering with jasper today. That says alot.

Out bodied. Smashed by bigger bodys. We need training in how to push opposition off the ball, and basic skills.

Something Port Adelaide was good at years ago. :mad:

Okay I'll bite.

You are criticizing the team for the exact things that Pittard struggles with (small body, out muscled by opposition, clangers), yet you are defending him because he attempts to take the game on?

#carn

Okay I'll bite.

You are criticizing the team for the exact things that Pittard struggles with (small body, out muscled by opposition, clangers), yet you are defending him because he attempts to take the game on?

#carn
Thats not his job.............our mids should be doing this. Jasper is a sweeper, so yo not get it?????? Why blame him for our ineptness?? And we need that bull up forward. But yea, lets blame Pittard for picking up crumbs continuously in our s**t skinny team.

Thats not his job.............our mids should be doing this. Jasper is a sweeper, so yo not get it?????? Why blame him for our ineptness?? And we need that bull up forward. But yea, lets blame Pittard for picking up crumbs continuously in our s**t skinny team.

So if bodying opponents is a midfielders job, what is a defenders job? And can you explain to me why being a so called "sweeper" exempts him from not being able to defend? Every player must defend - especially those who play down back, which coincidentally is where pittard plays.

Birchall, brodie smith, ryce shaw, heath shaw - all four take the game on, all four defend well and all four are excellent kicks - less so r. shaw.

Horrible night at the footy...we are shot to bits.

I always had the sense watching that sooner or later that Sydney would do what they do: find a way to win against the odds and we would do what we do:: find a way to lose whatever injuries Sydney might have during the night.

Anyway, the season is done and that is the least of our problems. The players are so mentally weak that we are not going anywhere with this playing group.

I am also concerned by what I am hearing in the media: Boak says the problem is not complacency. Well, when you consistently refuse to compete hard enough for long enough it is complacency. The Club needs to call this out and drop the players who refuse to compete.

Considering he was one of a few players on our team who actually went forwards through Sydney players with purpose tonight instead of going backwards or sideways or in Jonas case straight to ground he is still getting blamed for leaking goals. Tonight I'm not sure besides the one where he spoiled and fell over (he should have been covered by a team mate in any case so no all his fault) if there were any others from a usual Pittard **** up? Where's the posts whinging about Wines handpassing it straight out to a Sydney player for a goal that hurt us or the myriad of other complete **** ups by everyone else like the procession of inside 50 marks under no pressure for the whole first half.

It's fine to get on him when he has a shite game but tonight isn't that night. Be frustrated yes but direct it at some of the other complete witches hats that were out there tonight and none were worse than Jonas that's for ******* sure.

I thought wines was poor tonight but I think people start to get sick of it when a player gifts the opposition cheap goals. To be fair it was only one this week. On tom Jonas, I've wanted his head for weeks. He's pathetic. If you're going to play back you need to a) defend well and b) hit targets to break up the pressure. Not sure how many of our defenders tick both boxes

So if bodying opponents is a midfielders job, what is a defenders job? And can you explain to me why being a so called "sweeper" exempts him from not being able to defend? Every player must defend - especially those who play down back, which coincidentally is where pittard plays.

Birchall, brodie smith, ryce shaw, heath shaw - all four take the game on, all four defend well and all four are excellent kicks - less so r. shaw.
Ok.......lets all blame Jasper. I have no answer. Its all Jaspers fault.

Ok.......lets all blame Jasper. I have no answer. Its all Jaspers fault.

Not saying it's all his fault, just saying he hasn't been great and has cost us goals directly through bad turnovers or poor defending and that critisims are at the very least moderately justified.

The Swans are ripe, we're not. Dont know.

Not saying it's all his fault, just saying he hasn't been great and has cost us goals directly through bad turnovers or poor defending and that critisims are at the very least moderately justified.
We need a forward, agree ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you read the mid season defender review of Jonas ... he has no chance of being dropped anytime soon

'Often when you don’t get a full pre-season, it’s harder to get going and I think he’s in that boat. In saying that, he can hold his head high, he’s performed reasonably well but we’re looking for a lot more, as he is himself.”– Matthew Nicks'

To beat Sydney would have been a huge step in the right direction for the second half of the season... but how many of you honestly believed we could have done it, the way we have been playing? I went into this game, quite OK with the probability of us losing - they have been the team we couldn't knock off, even when we were electric. So right now, I'm alright with this loss... In fact, a 10 point loss to a Premiership favourite (though undermanned), who flogged us a few months ago, and to do that while we're not playing our brand of footy... I'm definitely alright with this.

I know that nothing short of a unbeatable winning streak from here out will get us into the finals, but apart from a few incidences tonight, I think we did alright...

Generally we were poor and we needed such massive effort to score, while the Swans could get so close to a goal with only 2 or 3 kicks. And still, it was a relatively close game - so it is particularly frustrating to think of the 2 or 3 relatively easy shots missed by Gray and one shocking miss from Schulz.

I'm sorry, I thought that we were going to lose by 10 goals even without Franklin and Tippett to playing?

All over them at the start of the third, Richards gets concussed, Sydney does what a great team should do and ramps up the pressure and we fall into those old hesitant and instinctive habits. People talk about minimal pressure, but there is the mental side that we are shot in, and that comes from lack of confidence. We don't have any. That's why we can't win even when presented with a golden opportunity to do so.

Confidence is the thing that says "You are good enough and most importantly worthy enough to win this game." We don't believe we are either. Too many players worried about ******* up than knowing they will hit the pass. Perceived pressure, rushed kicks, stupid decisions going into forward 50.

We don't have the mental fortitude to play the role of the hunted yet. Which is where every one of our losses has stemmed from. Failure begets failure.

Don't think there's a short term fix. Pole Cat would obviously be a massive inclusion next year. A ridiculous offer to Tomahawk and our first round pick maybe Curnow? That would look a lot better. Liked Ah Chee and Hoon tonight particularly Hoon but I don't think he'll ever get stronger or quicker we'll just get this game from him for the next 10 years and that's ok. I really think Jay is finished though trade or retire.

There is no conceivable reason for Jonas to get a game next week . None at all.
He will get a game for sure....because he is so Brave.I am sick of the farking word brave.We are not brave .We are soft.
We were smashed in the middle all night and not once did I see Wingard run through there.He may have?But I didn't see it.

I guess the disappointing thing for me is that we could have and should have won. And by that I mean won by 3+ goals, not sneaking over the line. Sydney didn't play anywhere near as well as I was expecting, coupled with the in-game injuries/niggles and Richards getting knocked out means they were ripe for the taking, but we let them off big-time with our s**t skills and s**t gameplan. The response in the second half of the third quarter after Richards went down was just so...sad and predictable.

If our mids weren't so slow and inept.Jasper wouldn't have a case to answer to begin with.

Did you read the mid season defender review of Jonas ... he has no chance of being dropped anytime soon

'Often when you don’t get a full pre-season, it’s harder to get going and I think he’s in that boat. In saying that, he can hold his head high, he’s performed reasonably well but we’re looking for a lot more, as he is himself.”– Matthew Nicks'
Fortunately for our tem then we will have plenty of time to get fit next pre season. Perhaps send them the Mount Bracken again this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back