Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Pittard could play the perfect game and he'd still be blamed for every goal.
What kind of a statement is this. Pittard directly costs the team goals from his poor decision making every single week. I actually don't think he cops nearly enough criticism. He's an average defender at best, and I don't think he's giving us enough with his kicking to justify his selection. He does not hit a target enough when kicking inside 50, but you can put the whole team in that category at the moment unfortunately

It was classic Port Adelaide out there tonight. A player gets hit hard and it spurs you on to another level. Something Port Adelaide lived by through my time growing up watching the SANFL. You start something against Port Adelaide, be prepared for retribution both physically and on the scoreboard. Such a pity it was us acting like North Adelaide or Glenelg tonight, and not like the Port Adelaide that we know and love.

The effort was there for the most part but it was a similar story from the rest of the year for our negatives. Skills let us down all over the park, decision making wasn't much better. Won the hitouts but couldnt find our midfielders. Tall forwards that had no impact. We look and play exactly like a 12-16 side. Flashes of brilliance surrounded by frustration. 5-10 minutes of great play followed by 45 minutes of nothing. This is our level. This is what we have become this year.

There were parts to like about the game. I liked how we tried to play more direct than we have all year. Tried to play quick, long, direct football. Our defensive structures through 3 of the 4 quarters was very good. Lots to like about AhChee, Wingard, Colquhoun, Hartlett.

But, quite simply, if you can't kick, you can't expect to win games of football against top 4 teams. And at the moment, we can't kick.

PLAYER REVIEWS
The Best
Gray - Was a star in the midfield once again. A monster at the stoppages and regularly was able to get the ball inside 50. Bit wasteful in front of goal but its his consistency that makes him such a great player for Port Adelaide. Week in, week out, you know exactly what you are going to get. A rare thing at the moment.

Hartlett - I thought this was close to his best game for the season. A strong four quarter effort playing through the midfield and spending time behind the play at half back. Used his run and big kick to his advantage and was great with his use of the ball. This is the hammer we love.

Colquhoun - Really enjoyed his game tonight. Whether he was mopping up the play across half back or getting some clever clearances and hard ball gets at the stoppages, he did a lot of good and looked like a mature player out there. Needs to get stronger and find a yard of pace, but he hasn't really put a foot wrong since he came back into the side.

Wingard - Fell out of the game in the last but he had a great first half and ended up with another 3 goals. Skills were great and he was able to run rings around Nick Smith for much of the game. Just needed something from him in the last.

Krakouer - Another week, another strong effort from Krak. Strong down back, used it as well as ever and kicked 2 goals as well. A couple of disappointing defensive efforts in the first quarter, but outside of that, is one of our most consistent players and puts in solid efforts every week.

The Rest
Westhoff - One of his better games for the year. Seemed to have more to say up forward than he has in recent times. Still dropped back in the backline at times and did a good job at that. A bit lazy at times through the third quarter, but overall was a solid contributor.

Boak - A big last quarter didnt hide the fact that he was bitterly disappointing up util 3/4 time. Just couldnt find any space on Mitchell and was wasteful with his chances when he did manage to get the ball. Would have been the match winner in that last quarter had we managed to get up, but we need more from the Captain. No more 1 or 2 quarter efforts. We need four quarter Trav out there.

Pittard - Whilst I enjoy the fact he takes the game on, you just can't deny that he turns it over far too much. Can only hit targets with kicks <20m. If he isn't short kicking, then he's ever half volleying or booting it 10m over his teammates heads. Add in the constant slipping over and debatable defensive skills and he's gone backwards at a rate of knots this year. If he had any ability at all to hit targets with his longer kicks then he'd be a fine player. But there is no point in him just banging it as hard as possible straight to an opponent.

Wines - Very very ordinary. Looked ploddish, slow, poorly skilled and outside of the first quarter, unwilling to put his head over the ball. Worst game i've seen him play.

Ebert - At times very good, at times very poor. Workrate isn't the issue, but execution leaves a lot to be desired. Is the king of the half volley and quite simply, the only half volleys I want to see on grass at the moment is at Wimbledon. His skills let us down and kill momentum.

Ah Chee - There was a hell of a lot to like about Brendon's game tonight. The way he hunted the ball in packs was first class. His handballs are like bullets, strong, direct, fast and capable of doing damage. Knows how to evade a tackle. But, his foot skills let him down a lot. Just about every kick was either a helicopter or a turn over. His kicking is normally a lot better than that. Definitely something to work with and deserves to stay in the side for an extended period of time to see what he can do.

Hombsch - Played 15 minutes of the worst defensive work i've seen all year which allowed Sam Reid miles of space to put Sydney well in front. Thankfully, he turned up in the second half and it was back to the Jack we know. Strong defensively and good with the ball in his hands. But, that 15 minutes really turned the game in Sydneys favour after a good first quarter.

Impey - Defensively was great on Mcveigh and had a decent first half. Went to water after half time with some poor skills and constant falling over.

Schulz - That tackle was the hardest he's attacked something in 2 months. Once again just nowhere to be seen out there. Spent more time on a wing and at half back than he did inside 50. Missed an easy shot in the first quarter and that was close to the only time he touched the ball until the last. The holiday may do him the world of good.

Broadbent - Ordinary defensively, ordinary with the ball. Ordinary.

Lobbe - Plenty of hitouts, minimal to advantage and offered nothing around the ground, and less than nothing up forward. Struggling.

Stewart - Actually liked his game tonight. Was constantly busy and getting involved up on a wing and across half forward. One of our better performers across four quarters.

Ryder - Ruckwork was good. Offered almsot literally zero else.

Carlile - Thought defensively he was doing a good job until he was subbed out.

Monfries - Really shut Rhyce Shaw out of the play but needs to find a way to do something, anything else out there. It is pointless having a 100% negative player in our forward line in ou current state at the moment. We know how good he's been this year when attacking the play more. Let him off the leash Ken.

Jonas - I don't know what to say about Tommy. I really don't. I think its detrimental to his own confidence keeping him in the side any longer. 3 goals kicked on him, but that was probably the best part of his game. Either fell over, dropped the ball, got tackled and dropped the ball, or turned it over every single time he touched it. Is literally the most out of form player i've ever seen in football. Sad. Needs to be dropped to get some sort of confidence back.

Moore - Couple of neat efforts and questionable disposal. Want to see a full game next week.

POTY Votes
7 - Gray
6 - Hartlett, Colquhoun, Wingard, Krakouer
5 - Westhoff, Stewart, AhChee
4 - Carlile, Monfries
3 - Hombsch
2 - Ryder, Pittard, Ebert
1 - Lobbe, Boak, Wines, Impey, Broadbent
0 - Jonas, Moore, Schulz
How did they beat us Macca, how???????????????

Arggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The main positive out of this mess is that at least it's basically the whole team down on form - there are no half measures - and apart from Wingard and Hombsch - no player is setting the bar too high so as to set themselves up for failure next year and beyond. Next year when EVERY player on our list plays to his full potential, having addressed their glaring deficiencies in the off-season under the watchful eye of Kern, Vossy and Burgo, we will again be a force to be reckoned with :eek:

If Pittard played for another team everybody on this board would think he is a hack and the worst player in the league getting regular games...

Pittard simply doesn't have good footy smarts. He has several tools to be a great player (pace, long penetrating kick, ankle tattoo and moustache) but he makes too many shocking decisions. Forget his inability to spoil Jetta - at least his intent was sound - his long bombs into our forward fifty tonight were cringe worthy.

What kind of a statement is this. Pittard directly costs the team goals from his poor decision making every single week. I actually don't think he cops nearly enough criticism. He's an average defender at best, and I don't think he's giving us enough with his kicking to justify his selection. He does not hit a target enough when kicking inside 50, but you can put the whole team in that category at the moment unfortunately

Considering he was one of a few players on our team who actually went forwards through Sydney players with purpose tonight instead of going backwards or sideways or in Jonas case straight to ground he is still getting blamed for leaking goals. Tonight I'm not sure besides the one where he spoiled and fell over (he should have been covered by a team mate in any case so no all his fault) if there were any others from a usual Pittard * up? Where's the posts whinging about Wines handpassing it straight out to a Sydney player for a goal that hurt us or the myriad of other complete * ups by everyone else like the procession of inside 50 marks under no pressure for the whole first half.

It's fine to get on him when he has a shite game but tonight isn't that night. Be frustrated yes but direct it at some of the other complete witches hats that were out there tonight and none were worse than Jonas that's for ******* sure.

The main positive out of this mess is that at least it's basically the whole team down on form - there are no half measures - and apart from Wingard and Hombsch - no player is setting the bar too high so as to set themselves up for failure next year and beyond. Next year when EVERY player on our list plays to his full potential, having addressed their glaring deficiencies in the off-season under the watchful eye of Kern, Vossy and Burgo, we will again be a force to be reckoned with :eek:
Were not up to it is the thing. Weights.............lift them, train to push your opponent off :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pittard simply doesn't have good footy smarts. He has several tools to be a great player (pace, long penetrating kick, ankle tattoo and moustache) but he makes too many shocking decisions. Forget his inability to spoil Jetta - at least his intent was sound - his long bombs into our forward fifty tonight were cringe worthy.

It felt like we had a direction tonight to bang it to about 0 - 25m out as soon as we had the chance as anyone who got the ball forward of centre went long all game and it was never going to change once Richards went down. I think the best bit was once he went down, I don't think we troubled the person they had to put on Jay for the rest of the quarter as the ball never got there again.

Play like that and we smash the Crows. That all ive got. Hoon looks good. We need a tall forward. Recruit Ken or chuck Harvey in.

Im done. :mad::cry::$

Yeah nah.

We conspired to hand a thoroughly mediocre victory to a Sydney team without Bird, Heeney, McGlynn, Tippett and Franklin, while losing Rohan and Richards during the contest.

If we're not outstandingly inept there's no reason we don't win comfortably.

But no, we serve up what we always serve up.

Yeah nah.

We conspired to hand a thoroughly mediocre victory to a Sydney team without Bird, Heeney, McGlynn, Tippett and Franklin, while losing Rohan and Richards during the contest.

If we're not outstandingly inept there's no reason we don't win comfortably.

But no, we serve up what we always serve up.
Why????

No!!!!! we need a forward. Were not that s**t. Put an 18 year old Warren up there and we have a ******* team. Sarge is done bless his socks.

We were poor tonight, but Sydney won a premiership 3 years ago without Franklin, Tippett or Rohan. Mumford, Malceski and ROK were the only major outs tonight from a 22 that won the 2012 GF.

So they lost an elite ruckman, elite HBF and a Norm Smith Medallist and still pantsed us comfortably, despite a folkton of adversity?

Pittard is the only one taking the footy on. Are you watching????

So did jordan mcmahon. He also had terrible disposal, panicked under pressure and always went to ground in a contest...he even had a shitty mustache and a lanky body shape like pittard.

So they lost an elite ruckman, elite HBF and a Norm Smith Medallist and still pantsed us comfortably, despite a folkton of adversity?

Not to mention we came of a bye and they had a 6 day break between games. There is no excuse for that loss. At the end of the game they were without their FF, CHF, CHB, a damaging HFF and were playing several players with less than 50 games experience. Hell Nankevis kicked our butts and he was on debut. They wanted it more and worked harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back