Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ballance has to be one of the ugliest batsman I've ever seen. Cant doubt his heart but if Strauss didn't hate KP so much he'd be there instead.

Haddin will be playing until he is 50. (yes i know he's retiring after this) Someone should have taken his place by now, I'm still none the wiser as to who is next in line? Paine? Handscomb? Hartley?……. Wade? :$

Neville seems to be next in line. Can bat a bit, tidy gloveman, haven't heard any massive wraps on him though. He's the second keeper in the touring party. Not exactly young though - late 20s.

Has anyone clicked on the Russian Dating site advertisement yet? Was thinking about giving it a go

Feedback, thoughts etc… thanks

You've got nothing to lose. I'm sure these things are completely risk free, and Russians are excellent.

You've got nothing to lose. I'm sure these things are completely risk free, and Russians are excellent.

Chief will be the best man at my wedding, if it wasn't for his advertising on BF i would have never found the love of my life.

Neville seems to be next in line. Can bat a bit, tidy gloveman, haven't heard any massive wraps on him though. He's the second keeper in the touring party. Not exactly young though - late 20s.

Most seem to agree that Nevill is next in line. Seems to be a thing with 'keepers that they're more 'mature' when they get the call up to the Australian team. All the options A11dAtP0w3R listed are late 20s to early 30s (Handscomb being the exception but I think he's more a bat who keeps occassionally). Gilchrist and Haddin were both late 20s so it's no real drama.

Most seem to agree that Nevill is next in line. Seems to be a thing with 'keepers that they're more 'mature' when they get the call up to the Australian team. All the options A11dAtP0w3R listed are late 20s to early 30s (Handscomb being the exception but I think he's more a bat who keeps occassionally). Gilchrist and Haddin were both late 20s so it's no real drama.

We had well established incumbents when those blokes got the gigs though (Gilchrist following Healy, Haddin essentially stepping in after a few failed experiments with younger guys). If Paine hadn't done his finger, he was absolutely the candidate 6 or 7 years ago, so I don't think age is the issue. If they're concerned about continuity (and they should be given the ages of the team we're fielding at the moment), a good 25 year old keeper is preferable to similar or slightly better 30 year old. My 2c, at least.

We had well established incumbents when those blokes got the gigs though (Gilchrist following Healy, Haddin essentially stepping in after a few failed experiments with younger guys). If Paine hadn't done his finger, he was absolutely the candidate 6 or 7 years ago, so I don't think age is the issue. If they're concerned about continuity (and they should be given the ages of the team we're fielding at the moment), a good 25 year old keeper is preferable to similar or slightly better 30 year old. My 2c, at least.

I agree with the highlighted but for every position, not just keeper. For me, the Australian cricket team is about the best performaing players regardless of age. Age only comes into it when picking between similarly performing players. I'm taking Rogers and Voges every day of the week against Shaun Marsh and Khawaja/Lynn/Burns/etc at the moment for example.

I agree with the highlighted but for every position, not just keeper. For me, the Australian cricket team is about the best performaing players regardless of age. Age only comes into it when picking between similarly performing players. I'm taking Rogers and Voges every day of the week against Shaun Marsh and Khawaja/Lynn/Burns/etc at the moment for example.

Yep, I didn't mean to single out keeper specifically, just in that context with Paine, Nevill, etc.

Not many younger guys banging down the door with runs. Bowling stocks look promising, but when Rogers (37), Clarke (34, dodgy back), Voges (35), Haddin (37) and Watson (34, dodgy heart) go, we're left with Warner (28) and Smith (26). We've also brought Shaun Marsh (32) along on tour, who doesn't look comfortable or confident in Tests. Doesn't seem like we've got much of a succession plan in progress. Burns looks alright, Khawaja has dropped off the radar (injured?) and I don't think a lot of Lynn.

Last season's Shield leading run scorers:
Voges (35) 1358 @ 104
Klinger (35) 1046 @ 58
S.Marsh (32) 960 @ 56
Burns (25) 939 @ 49
Rogers (37) 936 @ 52
Bancroft (22) 896 @ 47
Ferguson (30) 836 @ 52
Cowan (33) 815 @ 48
Stoinis (25) 785 @ 49
S.Smith (26) 769 @ 128
As you keep going, you get Nevill (29), Quiney (32), Cosgrove (31), Handscomb (25), Head (21), Cooper (28), Wade (27), Christian (32), D.Hussey (37) in the top 20. Not a lot of long term options to plug 5 spots in the side.

Maybe the level of professionalism in sport means its easier for players to go on longer, but I think the No Child Left Behind policies enacted by soccer mums on junior cricket are starting to bear fruit. The old men floating around at state level are much better than the kids lining up to replace them.

I like Burns but he is more a one day 20/20 type.

Try and turn him into a Warner?

Could have gone along on the Ashes tour for nothing more than punching Joe Root in a nightclub and out of the series.

Mitch Marsh or Faulkner (if he loses the dickhead approach) appear to be the ones groomed to take Watsons spot.

Guys like Lynn, Burns Khawaja, Silk and Maddinson are fellas talked about as the future of Australian batting but they just haven't yet quite taken the next step to become dominant at Shield level.

I've been an advocate for a couple more Shield teams in the comp for years. Another one for Vic and NSW so more kids get exposure to high level cricket. There are a lot of older blokes who are still too good to pension off yet and they provide a good challenge for the young bowlers but it often seems to come at the expense of young bats getting a run, especially for teams that play to win instead of playing to develop.

I've been an advocate for a couple more Shield teams in the comp for years. Another one for Vic and NSW so more kids get exposure to high level cricket. There are a lot of older blokes who are still too good to pension off yet and they provide a good challenge for the young bowlers but it often seems to come at the expense of young bats getting a run, especially for teams that play to win instead of playing to develop.

The NSW players get plenty of exposure for other states / countries.

I'm not sure more teams is the answer (more players, weaker standard, artificially boosting stats by beating up weaker players), maybe what's required are more international standard players in the competition to lift the standard. Problem is Australia doesn't have the money to attract people like India and England do.

True, and why wouldn't they be? Thats where the money is.

No arguments there. The purpose of reaching state level cricket now is to doink a quick 80 odd before the IPL auction, thus guaranteeing yourself a million dollar contract for a two week holiday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No arguments there. The purpose of reaching state level cricket now is to doink a quick 80 odd before the IPL auction, thus guaranteeing yourself a million dollar contract for a two week holiday.

Yep, thus ruining test cricket. Sure we get more results now days because the batsman have the attention span of Heath Shaw but its not what it was or what it should be.

I honestly hate what 20/20 BBL/IPL have done to the game, loved my test cricket growing up and 50 over cricket was fantastic because it was an alternative. Now the 50 over game has been completely ****ed, no one gives s**t about it until a World Cup rolls around, test cricket similar apart from the Ashes series. Fans with ADD, batsmen with ADD. The art of patience and fighting for your wicket and supporters applauding a batsmen like this is dying a fast death.

Yep, thus ruining test cricket. Sure we get more results now days because the batsman have the attention span of Heath Shaw but its not what it was or what it should be.

I honestly hate what 20/20 BBL/IPL have done to the game, loved my test cricket growing up and 50 over cricket was fantastic because it was an alternative. Now the 50 over game has been completely stuffed, no one gives s**t about it until a World Cup rolls around, test cricket similar apart from the Ashes series. Fans with ADD, batsmen with ADD. The art of patience and fighting for your wicket and supporters applauding a batsmen like this is dying a fast death.

Modern sport in a nutshell. I was nonplussed by the fireworks and song and dance at the start of the Ashes. One of the good things about the traditional rivalries is that you don't need the bells and whistles to artificially garner interest. This isn't the Olympics or the World Cup - an opening and closing ceremony is not required, fireworks do not improve the spectacle and people spinning large novelty national flags around don't make it more meaningful.

As Bill Hicks would say, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising... kill yourself.

Modern sport in a nutshell. I was nonplussed by the fireworks and song and dance at the start of the Ashes. One of the good things about the traditional rivalries is that you don't need the bells and whistles to artificially garner interest. This isn't the Olympics or the World Cup - an opening and closing ceremony is not required, fireworks do not improve the spectacle and people spinning large novelty national flags around don't make it more meaningful.

As Bill Hicks would say, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising... kill yourself.
This is what sort of annoys me with me with AFL in northern states. AFL pretty much has to put entertainment on to con people into going. Same with BBL

I'm not sure what i'm disappointed in more, Melbourne or the Australian Cricket team

You probably had higher expectations of the Australian team, but you shouldn't have.

Watson LBW, reviewed, crashing into leg naturally. Is every day a new day??

You probably had higher expectations of the Australian team, but you shouldn't have.

Watson LBW, reviewed, crashing into leg naturally. Is every day a new day??

Not any longer…..SURELY??!!

Voges and Haddin should both be told to * off on permanent basis after this test with him.

Not any longer…..SURELY??!!

Voges and Haddin should both be told to **** off on permanent basis after this test with him.

Eh, I don't particularly like the team we've picked but I'm not sure anyone else we've got around is going to do much better. Bowling attack is fine but inexperienced in England, and the batsmen are mostly past it.

Watson should be done, but he may still get picked again. Voges deserves another go. No heroes waiting in the wings.

Eh, I don't particularly like the team we've picked but I'm not sure anyone else we've got around is going to do much better. Bowling attack is fine but inexperienced in England, and the batsmen are mostly past it.

Watson should be done, but he may still get picked again. Voges deserves another go. No heroes waiting in the wings.

Both Marsh's in and throw Neville Bartoss in the deep end.

Devastated they dropped Watto. All the hilarity over getting LBW plumb in front twice per match and reviewing them anyway... gone.

I hope they release a Shane Watson's Greatest Reviews DVD - you could loop one LBW and review over and over again and no one would know. Would be tremendous entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back