Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devastated they dropped Watto. All the hilarity over getting LBW plumb in front twice per match and reviewing them anyway... gone.

I hope they release a Shane Watson's Greatest Reviews DVD - you could loop one LBW and review over and over again and no one would know. Would be tremendous entertainment.

In the special features you get to see which bails flying everywhere and stumps cartwheeling back to the keeper via hawk-eye simulation. There's also an in depth analysis of how many of Watto's LBW reviews didn't hit half way up middle.

Watto also talks us through his his thought process for each review of his career when you select 'why you waste all our review?' in the settings.

The perfect fathers day gift.

In the special features you get to see which bails flying everywhere and stumps cartwheeling to the keeper via hawk-eye. There's also an in depth analysis of how many of Watto's LBW reviews didn't hit half way up middle, Watto also talks us through his his thought process for each review of his career.

Close up of his 'shocked and disbelieving' facial expression for each one, plus captioned stream of consciousness.

"What? I only stepped right across my pegs and was hit halfway up the shin playing all around a straight one? Surely that can't be out??
I'll wander up the pitch, pretend to ask the partner his opinion and review anyway. The team needs me, it's worth the risk.
F**king kidding me. Where's the justice?????????"

Close up of his 'shocked and disbelieving' facial expression for each one, plus captioned stream of consciousness.

"What? I only stepped right across my pegs and was hit halfway up the shin playing all around a straight one? Surely that can't be out??
I'll wander up the pitch, pretend to ask the partner his opinion and review anyway. The team needs me, it's worth the risk.
F**king kidding me. Where's the justice?????????"

Behind the scenes: Australian batsman/teammates dressing room audio after not being able to review a non dismissal because Watto wasted 1.

Behind the scenes: Australian teammates dressing room audio after not being able to review a non dismissal because Watto wasted 1.

At least he's been at 6 instead of opening or 3. I remember for a while there when he and I think Clarke were struggling a bit, we might have had Huss at #5 or something and you could almost guarantee that the poor bastard wouldn't have a review to use if he chopped one into his pads and was fired LBW.

Watto: "No way was I out. I am never out."
Clarke: "That was probably out, but I really need runs and I'm feeling lucky."
Hussey: "campaigners."

At least he's been at 6 instead of opening or 3. I remember for a while there when he and I think Clarke were struggling a bit, we might have had Huss at #5 or something and you could almost guarantee that the poor bastard wouldn't have a review to use if he chopped one into his pads and was fired LBW.

Watto: "No way was I out. I am never out."
Clarke: "That was probably out, but I really need runs and I'm feeling lucky."
Hussey: "campaigners."

Yep, i would ******* hate to be a number 5 or 6 with him opening.

Turns out the cricket talk is here so I'm going to pretend I'm a mod.

Always been an injury prone and flakey player, but certainly had a heap of talent and would have been a decent enough bowler if he hadn't constantly been injured. Batting has always been a bit frustrating but he was one of our better bats for a few years, which is more an indictment on the rest of the side. A bloke who averages 35 with the stick and 32 odd with the ball is hardly a s**t cricketer - I'm no fan of the bloke, but the frustration is that he could've and should've been much better.
Yeah I was a fan of his test bowling back in the day, talented with the bat but not talented enough to cover the s**t technique in tests. You're probably right too good to be Dawes. Maybe if you add Dawes and H you get Watson. That's probably bang on for personality actually.

Turns out the cricket talk is here so I'm going to pretend I'm a mod.

Yeah I was a fan of his test bowling back in the day, talented with the bat but not talented enough to cover the s**t technique in tests. You're probably right too good to be Dawes. Maybe if you add Dawes and H you get Watson. That's probably bang on for personality actually.

His technique is pretty decent I think aside from going pretty hard at it, its his shot selection and stupidity that are the issue. Too fond of the booming drive and lately trying to work off side wides through leg. When batting well he normally gives everything the full face and moves the feet reasonably well. Certainly has the likes of Warner, Smith, Hughes, Rogers, etc covered. Technically I'd take the bowlers over most of the bats.

I don't think much of Mitch Marsh, for the record. Bowls pus and his batting is nothing great. Not really sure what he's done to earn a spot in the side, but that's becoming more common lately.

His technique is pretty decent I think aside from going pretty hard at it, its his shot selection and stupidity that are the issue. Too fond of the booming drive and lately trying to work off side wides through leg. When batting well he normally gives everything the full face and moves the feet reasonably well. Certainly has the likes of Warner, Smith, Hughes, Rogers, etc covered. Technically I'd take the bowlers over most of the bats.

I don't think much of Mitch Marsh, for the record. Bowls pus and his batting is nothing great. Not really sure what he's done to earn a spot in the side, but that's becoming more common lately.
It's that plonking foot he throws out like he's Matty Hayden that gets me. Totally right about the bowlers having better techniques. Even Dizzy had a better defense than pretty much every top order bat we've had of late.

It's that plonking foot he throws out like he's Matty Hayden that gets me. Totally right about the bowlers having better techniques. Even Dizzy had a better defense than pretty much every top order bat we've had of late.

I'm actually a bit sad I'll probably never get to experience this joy again.

Shane-Watson-LBW-still.ashx

Shane-Watson-DRS-Review-1.jpg

826230-1a964db8-275e-11e5-b424-466486ab9bda.jpg

David Warner really lets himself down with his slogs, getting out to a barely better than part time spinner is a joke

Also agree with Cannon82 , Watson from a technical standpoint was as good a batsman as we had in the side if you ignore how keen he was to always be on the front foot rather than judging the length

When in form his driving was textbook, but he often wanted to drive at balls that were too short to be driven, not technique just poor batting

Voges deserved a go based on form, but its shows where our cricket is at that a bloke who FINALLY got his average to mid 40s in first class cricket after a season averaging 100 was picked in the side, Phil Hughes was the only bloke in australia who could average in the 50s in the first class arena

David Warner really lets himself down with his slogs, getting out to a barely better than part time spinner is a joke

Also agree with Cannon82 , Watson from a technical standpoint was as good a batsman as we had in the side if you ignore how keen he was to always be on the front foot rather than judging the length

When in form his driving was textbook, but he often wanted to drive at balls that were too short to be driven, not technique just poor batting

Voges deserved a go based on form, but its shows where our cricket is at that a bloke who FINALLY got his average to mid 40s in first class cricket after a season averaging 100 was picked in the side, Phil Hughes was the only bloke in australia who could average in the 50s in the first class arena

Klinger did for a few years, never got a look in apart from the T20 circus if i recall?

The silly *er jumped the wrong boarder when he left Victoria.

Klinger did for a few years, never got a look in apart from the T20 circus if i recall?

The silly goose jumped the wrong boarder when he left Victoria.

Problem being his career average of 38 in 154 first class matches which is easily beaten by wattos

Problem being his career average of 38 in 154 first class matches which is easily beaten by wattos

His Victorian years would bring down his average a bit i would think, would be interested to see what he has averaged playing just for SA.

Pointless argument anyway, as you said, its a sad state of affairs in our batting ranks when veterans like Voges (or even Klinger) are getting a test cap at the age of 60.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His Victorian years would bring down his average a bit i would think, would be interested to see what he has averaged play just for SA.

Pointless argument anyway, as you said, its a sad state of affairs in our batting ranks when veterans like Voges (or even Klinger) are getting a test cap at the age of 60.

Even someone like Shaun Marsh, who nice technique and all averages under 40 in first class cricket in Australia and has been inconsistent his whole career
He shouldnt be near the bloody set up

We have a tonne of talented bowlers yet no one who can hit the thing

Good on Buck Rogers, he's as ugly as a hat full of arseholes, in person and with the bat, but he is an old school opening batsman grinder, rarely gives his wicket away. A well deserved ton :thumbsu:

Good on Buck Rogers, he's as ugly as a hat full of arseholes, in person and with the bat, but he is an old school opening batsman grinder, rarely gives his wicket away. A well deserved ton :thumbsu:

He might be the last 'test' match batter we ever see in australian colours

Also im glad this has backfired on england, create the most boring test pitches you can to try and beat us with boredom.. I hope we make 700 now

* England and * these boring test matches where the batsmen fail if they dont make 100

He might be the last 'test' match batter we ever see in australian colours

Also im glad this has backfired on england, create the most boring test pitches you can to try and beat us with boredom.. I hope we make 700 now

**** England and **** these boring test matches where the batsmen fail if they dont make 100
He better not be.

Hayden-Langer showed the importance of a true opener for a decade. The selectors tried ti * with that when Watson and Warner opened. Rogers comes in and Warner goes to the next level.

Now the question is who replaces Rogers and I damn well want another grinder.

He better not be.

Hayden-Langer showed the importance of a true opener for a decade. The selectors tried ti **** with that when Watson and Warner opened. Rogers comes in and Warner goes to the next level.

Now the question is who replaces Rogers and I damn well want another grinder.

There is literally no one in the domestic scene worth of the spot

Joe burns is an opener, Ed Cowan if you want another grinder but I'm not sure about him

Aaron finch if your crazy

Geoff Marsh like.

Cowan's a less talented Rogers. Not sure that's a viable thing.

If you want someone defensive to go with warner then he is probably your man, by default more than anything though because I cant think of anyone who could step in

I guess Shaun Marsh will get the gig but im not a fan of his

If you want someone defensive to go with warner then he is probably your man, by default more than anything though because I cant think of anyone who could step in

I guess Shaun Marsh will get the gig but im not a fan of his
The problem now is the development of cricketers. Guys have grown up watching the likes of Gilly, Hayden and now Warner slog it everywhere and become superstars. But it means that traditional openers, in the Langer mold, aren't coming on.

You need someone who can hold their wicket as an opener. Their primary function needs to be to hold their wicket. If you have that, then you have Warner at 1 and Smith at 3 to score the runs while you have a brick wall at the other end.

The problem now is the development of cricketers. Guys have grown up watching the likes of Gilly, Hayden and now Warner slog it everywhere and become superstars. But it means that traditional openers, in the Langer mold, aren't coming on.

You need someone who can hold their wicket as an opener. Their primary function needs to be to hold their wicket. If you have that, then you have Warner at 1 and Smith at 3 to score the runs while you have a brick wall at the other end.

That and only 11 blokes can play a test , while 50-60 can play big bash and IPL

That and yeah , watching Hayden, Symonds, gilly and even ponting to an extent just dominate attacks has meant that's how everyone wants to bat

I know in the backyard I was Adam gilchrist not simon katich

Meh, you pick the best 6 bats you can find. This stuff about having all these left and right hand combinations or slogger / blocker combinations is talked about more by commentators and journalists than the players. Not much point having grand schemes to stagger the lefties and righties or dashers and noodlers in the order when all your plans can be scuppered by one ball / the wrong bloke getting out.

Meh, you pick the best 6 bats you can find. This stuff about having all these left and right hand combinations or slogger / blocker combinations is talked about more by commentators and journalists than the players. Not much point having grand schemes to stagger the lefties and righties or dashers and noodlers in the order when all your plans can be scuppered by one ball / the wrong bloke getting out.

I'm hearing you loud an clear an watto will open after Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back