Ranking Victorian clubs by size

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what we are trying to measure here?

…but if more off-field stuff, then I’d have a sort of weighted sum of the below criteria:

a) Total Club $ Turnover
b) Merchandise Sales,
c) Membership No’s , and
d) Game attendances
Yeah bloody Collingwood. Prix

It should be included in the overall ranking of how big a club is but 16,535 Carlton supporters is only one fraction of their overall support base. Another ranking you could include is AFL membership
1.Coll
2.Car
3.Ess
4. Rich
5.Haw
6.Gee
7. StK
8. Melb
9 WB
10 North
It has not changed in 30 years but again only a fraction of the supporter base.

I don't play supercoach and I'm not an AFL member but I google Carlton FC daily am a club member, attend games visit their website a couple times a month, follow on instagram and watch interstate games on TV.
SuperCoach is national and sizeable at 150,000+ footy fans. It’s a reliable survey. AFL membership, like MCC membership (Essendon ahead of Collingwood incidentally) is limited to Victoria and is more unreliable. It doesn’t include the interstate profile of these clubs, a measure where Collingwood and Essendon set themselves apart from the rest. SuperCoach is a reliable and pure as well as unbiased ranking of national support. its reporting statistics have been consistent for over a decade so it can be deemed accurate.

It also rightly confirms in my that on a national scale, beyond Victoria, Carlton are ahead of Richmond taking into account its superior support in WA and SA in particular. It also supports the view that Hawthorns widespread national support beyond Victoria, sees it above the likes of Geelong, Melbourne and St Kilda.

Last edited:
SuperCoach is national and sizeable at 150,000+ footy fans. It’s a reliable survey. AFL membership, like MCC membership (Essendon ahead of Collingwood incidentally) is limited to Victoria and is more unreliable. It doesn’t include the interstate profile of these clubs, a measure where Collingwood and Essendon set themselves apart from the rest. SuperCoach is a reliable and pure as well as unbiased ranking of national support. its reporting statistics have been consistent for over a decade so it can be deemed accurate.

It also rightly confirms in my that on a national scale, beyond Victoria, Carlton are ahead of Richmond taking into account its superior support in WA and SA in particular. It also supports the view that Hawthorns widespread national support beyond Victoria, sees it above the likes of Geelong, Melbourne and St Kilda.
That seems a fair summary

You have big 4 where Collingwood is leader then a gap to Hawks, Cats

Then a bit of drop off to the rest

It only reflects a tiny fraction of the overall supporter base, I would'nt use this as the only guide to reflect the size of a Football club.

Last edited:
It only reflects a tiny fraction of the overall supporter base, I would'nt use as the only guide to reflect the size of a Football club.
True but it's still a reasonable guide from a representational perspective

I'd imagine SuperCoach would likely skewer towards younger demographics (?) so if a club has a higher older population support it may reflect in lower numbers via the SC stats. Melbourne may be an example of that here.

It only reflects a tiny fraction of the overall supporter base, I would'nt use as the only guide to reflect the size of a Football club.
No it doesn’t. Any survey of 150,000+ is not tiny. It’s highly representative. Crowds are distorted by on field and stadium constraints. Membership distorted by on field form and largely excludes interstate non match going more casual support. Digital numbers spike rapidly with on field success. AFL / MCC are inconsistent with each other and limited to largely Victoria only. Incidentally, the AFL member numbers indicate Carlton have ~7,500 members, much lower than the 16,500 this metric picks up. It’s a really good overview of the national landscape.

Importantly, SuperCoach (Dreamteam was exactly the same rankings with 300,000+ participants around a decade ago) has been consistent and reliable overtime. It represents genuine engaged footy fans all around Australia. Perhaps skewed to younger fans which is suggestive of future support too. It also filters out the noise created by on field fluctuations which distort all the other traditional measures like digital, crowds and membership. No measures perfect. There’s more perfect measures than others and this one is the purest and most recent measure of national support we can get.

Its only limitation is it’s Newscorp however given its widespread broad appeal I don’t think this is overly relevant and wouldn’t alter the rankings list.

Last edited:
True but it's still a reasonable guide from a representational perspective

I'd imagine SuperCoach would likely skewer towards younger demographics (?) so if a club has a higher older population support it may reflect in lower numbers via the SC stats. Melbourne may be an example of that here.
Carlton as well to a lesser extent then Melbourne.

There is an old saying GOB. Choosers can’t be beggars. This explains perfectly why Richmond supporters don’t go en masse to Marvel to watch Richmond play.

It is more or less like asking the residents of Toorak to take their annual vacation in Geelong. It could only possibly occur if they lost a bet to someone with a brilliant sense of humour. 😁
Actually, a large percentage of holiday homes in Point Lonsdale, which is part of the City of Greater Geelong, are owned by Melburnians

I agree in that it is very close before the late 90's you got to remember Carlton were a level above Essendon. Since then I think Essendon picked up a huge amount of young supporters and we have had to rely on massive support from our over 45/50 yo supporters passing it on to the next generation.
I tend to disagree with you about Carlton being a level above Essendon before late 90s.

Ask any Essendon supporter of 40+ years and they will tell you that there favourite players and best sides (apart from 2000) were that of the mid 80s when battling Hawthorn for flags, im not discrediting Carlton as you guys played a big part in the 80s as well as it was primarily Essendon,Hawthorn and Carlton fighting for the flags.

I also reckon Essendon didn’t miss the finals too often through the 90s as well.

Go over towards Moonee Ponds, Keilor, Avondale Heights area and almost every second person is a Bomber fan.

But yes it’s very close between the Blues and Bombers, but in saying that you guys are still both a little bit behind my mob in terms of supporter base.😁

I tend to disagree with you about Carlton being a level above Essendon before late 90s.

Ask any Essendon supporter of 40+ years and they will tell you that there favourite players and best sides (apart from 2000) were that of the mid 80s when battling Hawthorn for flags, im not discrediting Carlton as you guys played a big part in the 80s as well as it was primarily Essendon,Hawthorn and Carlton fighting for the flags.

I also reckon Essendon didn’t miss the finals too often through the 90s as well.

Go over towards Moonee Ponds, Keilor, Avondale Heights area and almost every second person is a Bomber fan.

But yes it’s very close between the Blues and Bombers, but in saying that you guys are still both a little bit behind my mob in terms of supporter base.😁
Give or take mid to late 90's, never been to that area of Melbourne. I grew up in the inner North now live in Brighton and work in the Elsternwick, Caulfield inner east areas of Melbourne both huge Carlton support areas. Ask any Carlton supporter over 50 they tell me about the mosquito fleet, beating Collingwood in Grand Finals in the 70's early 80's.

Collingwood is a beast an ugly beast but Carlton and Essendon are the greatest clubs😁

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give or take mid to late 90's, never been to that area of Melbourne. I grew up in the inner North now live in Brighton and work in the Elsternwick, Caulfield inner east areas of Melbourne both huge Carlton support areas. Ask any Carlton supporter over 50 they tell me about the mosquito fleet, beating Collingwood in Grand Finals in the 70's early 80's.
Collingwood is a beast an ugly beast but Carlton and Essendon are the greatest clubs

We will get to 16 one day, I just hope you blokes aren’t already on 17.

Australia wide, Essendon dwarf Pies , Carlton and Tigers

We have the biggest following in WA outside the two Perth clubs and you can’t count how many indigenous folk follow the Dons in NT..it’s massive…epic ..outstanding numbers of biblical proportions.

We are simply the biggest club in the land.
Roy Morgan always had Collingwood as the biggest club in Australia. Collingwood is always around 750-800,000. Essendon is at 650-700,000.

Collingwood is the biggest Victorian club in Victoria, NSW, ACT and qld! Use to be in SA too until the power joined the afl. Now I think it’s the blues in SA!!

Roy Morgan always had Collingwood as the biggest club in Australia. Collingwood is always around 750-800,000. Essendon is at 650-700,000.

Collingwood is the biggest Victorian club in Victoria, NSW, ACT and qld! Use to be in SA too until the power joined the afl. Now I think it’s the blues in SA!!
I've heard similar not through Roy Morgan though with Carlton 700,000 plus but it is very difficult to give an exact number.

Where have you been Gopies?

Last edited:
I can’t remember the last time I saw a Collingwood member sticker on a car here in Perth

Meanwhile…20k Essendon fans turned up
To the Dreamtime match at Optus

A sea of red and black
Collingwood played Geelong In Perth in front on 22,000! 80% of the crowd were Collingwood. Collingwood have a massive following in Perth and WA

Collingwood played Geelong In Perth in front on 22,000! 80% of the crowd were Collingwood. Collingwood have a massive following in Perth and WA
I can’t talk for other states, but I do know Essendon has the largest following (membership officially) of the Victorian clubs in WA. And separately, I was privy to information 5 years ago they had the biggest following in the NT. By some distance. Without statistics to support my argument, the Bombers appear to be strongly represented in QLD and Tassie. Their crowds at these venues are almost always outliers on the positive side of ground averages. They also usually have strong support when they play the Giants but that’s just based on a strong vibe.

Carlton are also strong in WA, SA and QLD with excellent national support. As is Collingwood obviously. Hawthirn also over index on interstate support for a club not in the top bracket of clubs.

I've heard similar not through Roy Morgan though with Carlton 700,000 plus but it is very difficult to give an exact number.

Where have you been Gopies?
I’m back giving hell to Richmond supporters who actually think they are the biggest club.

Collingwood are the biggest club. When Essendon and your blues finally get their acts together they will jump over Richmond and become the 2nd and 3rd biggest clubs.

Imo the biggest clubs In Australia are;

1. Collingwood
2. Essendon
3. Richmond
4. Carlton
5. Hawthorn
6. Geelong
7. Melbourne
8. St.Kilda
9. Western bulldogs
10. North Melbourne

I can’t talk for other states, but I do know Essendon has the largest following (membership officially) of the Victorian clubs in WA. And separately, I was privy to information 5 years ago they had the biggest following in the NT. By some distance. Without statistics to support my argument, the Bombers appear to be strongly represented in QLD and Tassie. They also usually have strong support when they play the Giants but that’s just based on a strong vibe.
I agree with Essendon being the biggest Victorian club in WA.

I’m NT it’s Essendon

In SA it’s Carlton

Victoria it’s Collingwood

Tasmania is Hawthorn

NSW is collingwood

ACT Collingwood

And QLD Collingwood

Wait till you see the amont of pies fans at the Gabba on Thursday night

I can’t talk for other states, but I do know Essendon has the largest following (membership officially) of the Victorian clubs in WA. And separately, I was privy to information 5 years ago they had the biggest following in the NT. By some distance. Without statistics to support my argument, the Bombers appear to be strongly represented in QLD and Tassie. They also usually have strong support when they play the Giants but that’s just based on a strong vibe.
I agree with Essendon being the biggest Victorian club in WA.

I’m NT it’s Essendon

In SA it’s Carlton

Victoria it’s Collingwood

Tasmania is Hawthorn

NSW is collingwood

ACT Collingwood

And QLD Collingwood

Wait till you see the amont of pies fans at the Gabba on Thursday night
Won’t be as many as you think, or in previous years. I’m certain the Lions have record membership and season seat sales. This means logically less seats to public than previous years, irrespective of how good the microphone on TV is Thursdsy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back