Ranking Victorian clubs by size

Remove this Banner Ad

After a few attempted reboots, is there any clue Essendon or carlton can get back to on field prowess?

For Carlton yes. They should make top 8 and be competitive. Not good enough to go all the way but be competitive. Essendon still in trouble on and off field
20 years ago Essendon were the biggest in the game. I have no doubt of that. However 20 years of failure has seen them lose out among the under 30s as their relatively very poor Insta and tiktok numbers reveal. They lead Richmond and vie with C'wood among the Twitter/Facebook generagion which came to adulthood 15, 20, 25, 30 years ago but among the Insta/Tiktok youth are miles behind both The Tiges and C'wood. They need to do something or risk even more damage among the young.

For Carlton yes. They should make top 8 and be competitive. Not good enough to go all the way but be competitive. Essendon still in trouble on and off field
20 years ago Essendon were the biggest in the game. I have no doubt of that. However 20 years of failure has seen them lose out among the under 30s as their relatively very poor Insta and tiktok numbers reveal. They need to do something or risk even more damage among the young.

Yes distinctly remember all the teeny screams over hird and Lloyd at games circa 2000

Yes distinctly remember all the teeny screams over hird and Lloyd at games circa 2000

Yes. Remember the "Manchester united of the AFL" talk? and there was truth in it. They were - and are - a monster. However they are struggling badly among the young as EG Richmond did among those who came to adulthood during the 1990s and the Noughties. Essendon need t do something.

By size of most letters in their name:

1st Western Bulldogs
2nd North Melbourne
3rd Collingwood
4th Melbourne
eq 5th Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond
eq 8th Carlton, Geelong, St Kilda
Seems a little unfair, Western get to include their nickname, surely the other clubs should be able to use theirs as well. :)

1. North Melbourne Kangaroos
2. Collingwood Magpies
3. Essendon Bombers
3. Melbourne Demons
3. Western Bulldogs
6. Richmond Tigers
6. St Kilda Saints
8. Hawthorn Hawks
9. Carlton Blues
10. Geelong Cats

Collingwood is clearly the biggest.
I can't separate Tigers, Blues and Bombers on who is the second biggest. All very big clubs.
I'd go with your first post and in this thread and that is Carlton as the second most widely supporterd club. No two clubs generate as much interest, click's or digital footprint on the internet.

Last year the top two for average internet seaches per month were Coll 866,000, Carlton 770,000, Essendon 688,000, Sydney 480,000 and Richmond 430,000. The top two for crowds were Collingwood and Carlton and all time.

Essendon had a golden period late 90's early 2000's but Collingwood were rubbish and Carlton were average at best. Richmond have been in a golden period since 2017 but Collingwood have been up and down and Carlton have been collecting wooden spoons.

All things being equal Collingwood and Carlton are the games biggest and most famous clubs not only my opinion but well known in AFL/VFL circles from the time I've been around since the late 70's.

I'd go with your first post and in this thread and that is Carlton as the second most widely supporterd club. No two clubs generate as much interest, click's or digital footprint on the internet.

Last year the top two for average internet seaches per month were Coll 866,000, Carlton 770,000, Essendon 688,000, Sydney 480,000 and Richmond 430,000. The top two for crowds were Collingwood and Carlton and all time.

Essendon had a golden period late 90's early 2000's but Collingwood were rubbish and Carlton were average at best. Richmond have been in a golden period since 2017 but Collingwood have been up and down and Carlton have been collecting wooden spoons.

All things being equal Collingwood and Carlton are the games biggest and most famous clubs not only my opinion but well known in AFL/VFL circles from the time I've been around since the late 70's.

The biggest attendance in history
121,000 +.
Yeah it's likely Carlton.

You guys have more flags than them as well.

Even Essendon despite the two flags (1897 and 1924 because there was no grand final in those years) i stripped off them are still ahead of the Tigers in the premiership count!:laughv1:
Considering the Tigers entered the comp 12 years after pies blues and bombers. I’d imagine we’d have another 3-4 flags if we started when they did.
As far as real Afl premierships go, tigers sit atop those loser clubs.

Dream on? More flags in the last 6 years than the pies in the last 62 years.

8 flags v 2 flags in the last 50 years.

Collingwood - the big club that wins nothing but the participation award:)
How many flags ? Compared to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not turned back at all, but if all we had were premierships from a time I wasn’t alive I would be pretty unsatisfied with my teams performance over a very very long period of time.

Then perhaps that is why Richmond fans are so fickle. They only seem to support in the good times.

Considering the Tigers entered the comp 12 years after pies blues and bombers. I’d imagine we’d have another 3-4 flags if we started when they did.
As far as real Afl premierships go, tigers sit atop those loser clubs.
Carlton and Essendon have 16 flags, Collingwood have 15 flags and you have 13. Stay in line mate and don't be skipping the queue.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back