Ranking Victorian clubs by size

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t remember the last time I saw a Collingwood member sticker on a car here in Perth

Meanwhile…20k Essendon fans turned up
To the Dreamtime match at Optus

A sea of red and black
Collingwood’s the biggest Club (fanbase) in the land. Little argument about that. However, Essendon is the biggest Victorian club in WA. The AFL provides clubs statistics on national support and in this state, and NT Essendon is the best supported. It also has vast support in QLD, TAS and across other states. It has the highest membership of the Vic clubs in WA with well over 4,000 members and another 6,000 active supporters who’ve told the club they’d like to become members WHEN the club can build a membership package that delivers them sufficient value. .

There were lots of Bombers fans in Tassie when they played. Unfortunately for them though this means that they aren’t a big club as big clubs don’t go to Tassie.

There were lots of Bombers fans in Tassie when they played. Unfortunately for them though this means that they aren’t a big club as big clubs don’t go to Tassie.
I don’t have any official data on where Essendon ranks in Tassie. Clearly Hawthorn now have vast support. St Kilda reportedly strong. The other traditional Victorian clubs would also have great numbers in Tassie too. Certainly Essendon filled York Park in 2021 in quite a strong show of support. That game was played subject to a 75% covid capacity so was limited to about 14,000 fans. It sold out in one hour! Probably would’ve sold another 14,000 given availability! Although as I said, I’m not across ‘facts’ on where Club support ranks in Tasmania so it’s just on qualitative info.

Collingwood’s the biggest Club (fanbase) in the land. Little argument about that. However, Essendon is the biggest Victorian club in WA. The AFL provides clubs statistics on national support and in this state, and NT Essendon is the best supported. It also has vast support in QLD, TAS and across other states. It has the highest membership of the Vic clubs in WA with well over 4,000 members and another 6,000 active supporters who’ve told the club they’d like to become members WHEN the club can build a membership package that delivers them sufficient value. .
I concur

Collingwood’s the biggest Club (fanbase) in the land. Little argument about that.
Is there? Collingwood have supporters everywhere no doubt, but are they easily the biggest fan base in Victoria? I don't know, but even if they are, it would need to he substantially, because as posters have pointed out, they aren't the biggest supported non local club in WA or SA. It would appear not so in Tassie either. The bloke who said Collingwood were the biggest in NT was also IMO way off. There is substantial support for the SA/WA clubs in NT as well as Essendon and Hawthorn.
Do that leaves NSW and QLD. Queensland maybe because a lot of Victorian bogans seem to migrate there, so the Collingwood support amongst the Banana benders might be high, but I don't think in NSW it is particularly substantial.

So your claim of Collingwood clearly being the biggest fanbase in the land seems a little sketchy. I know this is about Vic clubs, but West Coast, who's fanbase is albeit very localised, seems to trump every other club on most metrics.

Is there? Collingwood have supporters everywhere no doubt, but are they easily the biggest fan base in Victoria? I don't know, but even if they are, it would need to he substantially, because as posters have pointed out, they aren't the biggest supported non local club in WA or SA. It would appear not so in Tassie either. The bloke who said Collingwood were the biggest in NT was also IMO way off. There is substantial support for the SA/WA clubs in NT as well as Essendon and Hawthorn.
Do that leaves NSW and QLD. Queensland maybe because a lot of Victorian bogans seem to migrate there,
I indicated Collingwood has the biggest fanbase in the country. I’m of the belief they’re the biggest in Victoria too. I don’t put much credence on attendances and membership figures as they’re highly contingent on success on-field over successive seasons (membership) and stadium capacity (MCG unlimited / Marvel - constrained).

However, supporting their preeminence is over many years, a decade running they’ve boasted the highest social media following, SuperCoach / Dreamteam followers and whilst a looser measure, high rankings in the Morgan survey. All these are either large or very large national surveys of support. These indicate Collingwood’s support nationally is the largest, narrowly ahead of Essendon.

Now, Richmond the last 6 years years have seen their socials, crowds and membership boom after premiership success. Hawthorns, on a lesser scale also grew enormously their socials, crowds and membership after its premiership run. Hawthorn as a result catapulted to the 5th big Victorian club.

Carlton, whilst not achieving success yet, are certainly providing genuine hope and expectation are now seeing their socials, crowds and membership grow substantially.

That leaves Essendon. No on field success for 19 years. Crisis after crisis with little hope in 2023. Yet it’s membership is ~85,000, it has drawn 1M+ H&A until recent covid years, boasts the top 3 most lucrative guernsey in the AFL (total $ value), among highest socials presence and consistently ranked #2 in several of those above listed surveys. Its crowd presence in the stands interstate is nearly unrivalled broadly. That says that Essendon sits behind only Collingwood as the second largest national fanbase. This will be franked and confirmed definitively if it were to win one, let alone 3 premierships in the years ahead.

Lol. What are you, the head Nun on that Mission?

FUdfc7QaMAEWVjC

Miriam Rose at Daly is a big Collingwood supporter hence many of her Grandkids are. Would you like the approx figures for Peppimenarti as well. I am only Congregational Prioress there so my figures may be rusty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, Collingwood have by far the most support in each of the other states. It’s not really even close.
Of the 8 states and Territories, I'd say yes in regards to 5 of them without even a second of thought.

However, Essendon/Richmond in the NT? Essendon/North Melbourne in WA? And Tassie is just a crap shoot anyway.

Of the 8 states and Territories, I'd say yes in regards to 5 of them without even a second of thought.

However, Essendon/Richmond in the NT? Essendon/North Melbourne in WA? And Tassie is just a crap shoot anyway.
Actually Collingwood and Hawthorn second in the NT.

Crowd attendance has been good this weekend despite a couple of key train lines out of action

My take is that today collingwood is a standout with Richmond Carlton Essendon a click below, but capable of lifting to collingwoods level(which seems constant) if going well. See Richmond.

However Next there is Hawthorn Geelong who have shown they are comfortable in that second tier, it remains to be seen if they are constantly there. Probably wouldn’t reach collingwoods level though

I indicated Collingwood has the biggest fanbase in the country. I’m of the belief they’re the biggest in Victoria too. I don’t put much credence on attendances and membership figures as they’re highly contingent on success on-field over successive seasons (membership) and stadium capacity (MCG unlimited / Marvel - constrained).

However, supporting their preeminence is over many years, a decade running they’ve boasted the highest social media following, SuperCoach / Dreamteam followers and whilst a looser measure, high rankings in the Morgan survey. All these are either large or very large national surveys of support. These indicate Collingwood’s support nationally is the largest, narrowly ahead of Essendon.

Now, Richmond the last 6 years years have seen their socials, crowds and membership boom after premiership success. Hawthorns, on a lesser scale also grew enormously their socials, crowds and membership after its premiership run. Hawthorn as a result catapulted to the 5th big Victorian club.

Carlton, whilst not achieving success yet, are certainly providing genuine hope and expectation are now seeing their socials, crowds and membership grow substantially.

That leaves Essendon. No on field success for 19 years. Crisis after crisis with little hope in 2023. Yet it’s membership is ~85,000, it has drawn 1M+ H&A until recent covid years, boasts the top 3 most lucrative guernsey in the AFL (total $ value), among highest socials presence and consistently ranked #2 in several of those above listed surveys. Its crowd presence in the stands interstate is nearly unrivalled broadly. That says that Essendon sits behind only Collingwood as the second largest national fanbase. This will be franked and confirmed definitively if it were to win one, let alone 3 premierships in the years ahead.

You are essentially correct.

Both Carlton and Essendon are waiting to explode if they can take off onfield. Where I disagree is in assuming that Collingwood are unarguably the biggest. If we look at socials, membership etc and look at the fact that C'wood have had much more success and near success than Essendon then C'wood SHOULD be further ahead IF they are unarguably bigger.

I think that Essendon and C'wood are for all practical purposes equal. Any difference is minimal.
All of the Big 4 are capable, in the right circumstances, of presenting as "the Biggest" as we have seen recently with Richmond and saw with say Essendon 20 years ago but if we even out form then Essendon and C'wood are more or less equal as are The Tiges and Blues a small step behind.

What links all of them is much more obvious than what separates them.

Last edited:
Collingwood is clearly the biggest.
I can't separate Tigers, Blues and Bombers on who is the second biggest. All very big clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back