Autopsy Rate Our 2014 Draft Class

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that gives everyone a boner about McKenzie is the 198, 105+kg and the sub 2.9 20m sprint. Thats plugga like stuff.
In 2015 Plugger is a liability. Just get numbers back turn the ball over and use Pluggers match up for run out of defence. Then there's the rotations you lose trying to keep him in the game that you are taking from your midfielders that leaves your midfield struggling come the last quarter. We'll never see a Plugger again I suspect.

I'm happy enough with our selections from a strategic long term perspective. I'm not particularly worried about the draftees taking time to mature. Our later draft picks from last year haven't debuted yet. These players and Clurey / Shaw / Ah Chee will be the players adding to our playing depth next year. My main worry about the list is that Lobbe could have no backup next year. The playing status for Ryder and Redden is unknown. Frampton is not going to be able to ruck against the big boys next year. I'm hoping for a break glass ruck in the rookie draft. (I want Hudson but whomever...) I assume that the club has a decent idea about the future of Ryder and Redden. Hopefully it includes some playing time in 2015.

Frampton is not going to be able to ruck against the big boys next year.

Frampton might struggle in the strength department vs most SANFL rucks but I reckon he has got them covered for speed.
Redden being the number 1 SANFL ruck will definitely lower the load for Billy.

I can see Frampton having as much ruck time in the SANFL next year as Trengove got at AFL level this year. So most likely being the backup ruck and when not used in the ruck being put mostly in the backlines.

I totally agree, but that is not going to help Lobbe get a rest next year.
If we lose 1 of the Lobbe/Ryder combination to injury/suspension we then have the same problem we had last year.
Trengove becomes the pinch hitter and we end up putting paper over the cracks by having Sam Gray or Paul Stewart up forward.
Hopefully next season Mason Shaw (or maybe an unlikely revitalized Butcher) gets a few games if this situation was to unfold.

I just hope they play a full season and I hope the SANFL league level is not out of their depth.
If our squad is at full strength (Assuming our SANFL captain Summerton is fit) we will have 4 AFL listed playing Academy (if the SANFL gives us permission).

Would be a good opportunity for guys like Russell, Flynn, Wagner and 1 of Frampton/Howard to not get thrown into the deep end of SANFL senior footy.

We had already picked a big key forward when we came to our second pick so I'm not convinced we were interested in McKenzie. There has to be a problem there, the guy slid from top 10 in the amateur phantoms to the 70s in the real thing (and the back end of where Cal Twomey who talks to the clubs nominated him landing). No one was into him but Richmond were prepared to take the risk with a very late pick.

If we wanted McKenzie we would have taken him at 56.

i dont think there is any mystery,

he reminds me so much of pre-draft mckernan. ryan willits also comes to mind. a big guy who can compete but you question his ability to change direction at speed , in which case ild rate both as glacial compared to general afl key forwards.

i dont think there is any mystery,

he reminds me so much of pre-draft mckernan. ryan willits also comes to mind. a big guy who can compete but you question his ability to change direction at speed , in which case ild rate both as glacial compared to general afl key forwards.

I don't think there's any mystery although a few people think their recuiters should have picked him (not just Port supporters).

McKernan and Willits at least were drafted relatively early. Darcy Hourigan is probably a more apt comparison. There were people thinking he was worth a first round pick. Where is he now? Hahndorf?

yeah. i mean mckenzie could make it , and if he does could be great for his team. but more than any other forward i can see why teams were hesitant. i think key forwards who dont have that type of mobility to turn at speed dont make it at afl level. they will get hurt too much by their defenders being able to intercept and run off. its why we couldnt ever have lobbe make it as a sole ff. he would be in the sanfl if he couldnt play ruck.

Going by a few minutes of highlights and some brief bios all the talls Port picked looked genuinely mobile and Howard's 20m result (and some video) shows some genuine pace. They all fit Kenny's game plan. And they still all look a decent physical size (Frampton will grow into his body like Lobbe did).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I totally agree, but that is not going to help Lobbe get a rest next year.
Lobbe did a great job of carrying us most of the year. It was only really in the PF that he was found wanting. It would be best to have Ryder and Lobbe for all of the year but if Ryder is banned then hopefully it's only for the first half of the year and we can start the finals with our strongest team.

Going by a few minutes of highlights and some brief bios all the talls Port picked looked genuinely mobile and Howard's 20m result (and some video) shows some genuine pace. They all fit Kenny's game plan. And they still all look a decent physical size (Frampton will grow into his body like Lobbe did).

It goes without saying that all of them also fit Kenny's definition of good character. I've heard that confirmed in one of the recruiting staff interviews.

This has me really intrigued by Carl D. Frampton and his youthful dose of white-line fever, as Ford calls it.

I have a good feeling about Our Carl. I can see it in his eyes, detect it in his moves. He's going to be a champ.

BTW, did I mention he taps the ball with both hands ?

Have any of the guys been interviewed for print media, radio or tele as yet?
Sure they used to get some interviews within a day of what they think of getting drafted, sad mums, can't wait to get to the club etc etc.

Just wondering!

Also i'll be happy to give these kids 2 years and then make judgement on them. Hopefully one of them surprises and becomes a gem (maybe 2 of them even :)

I find it interesting how we picked this year , hopefully we rookie a mid or two , personally I'd be tempted by Bampton , Glenn , Panos or Krakoer or Johansen , he's really another story like Samy Colqhoun , not picked by being a bit small and bland but a natural footballer

Logan, Gray, Russell - need another ruck option on the rookie list otherwise we might as well call it Lilliput. Enough small options.

I can't see us NOT picking a mature age ruckman as a rookie 'just in case'. Our rookie list of Gray, Russell and Logan is looking pretty meh...
Love Logan to bits but I would have liked to pick up someone like Glenn in the main draft... oh well what would we know.

newton - i know noone offered us a pick in the 50's for him, but we didnt force anyone to either. we just rolled over and delisted him. i woulda been telling him that if he isnt traded then its off to the draft, of which he would have had to do if we didnt delist him. he wasnt a free agent until we voluntarily delisted him. we would never have gotten back what we paid for him, but it the issue was forced i reckon we coulda squeezed out melbournes pick 52
This doesn't make any sense. At the end of the trade period, we had every intention of keeping Newton, and he turned down our contract offer after the process was completed. At this point, we weren't getting anything for him at all. You can't tell him anything "if he isn't traded", because he was already planning on nominating for the draft, and a trade was not possible. We threw him a bone and delisted him, which allowed him to get picked where he wanted to. We lost absolutely nothing in doing so, and helped keep someone for whom we should have no hard feelings reasonably happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back