Preview Rd 15 Carlton vs Richmond Friday 10th July 7.50pm @ MCG - Team post #416

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has looked absolutely spent the last few weeks, I think a few games in the 2's will do him some good. Plus I think Maric should cop a few weeks for his hit on Steele so I don't see the need to go in with the 2 ruckmen.
I thought so initially. But was it was in a ruck contest? He clearly had his eyes on the ball and most ruckmen throw their arms back to jostle for position.

I thought so initially. But was it was in a ruck contest? He clearly had his eyes on the ball and most ruckmen throw their arms back to jostle for position.
There is one particular camera angle where Maric's eyes clearly shift, they see Steel coming, and he threw his elbow out and collected him. I think at a minimum 1 week. In saying that, it is the MRP and anything can happen.

IN: Menzel, Docherty, Carazzo, Gibbs and Rowe :D
OUT: Whiley, Holman, Tutt, Curnow and pending.

Whiley and Holman are better off with more time in the VFL and they'll get their chance next year. Whiley or Holman as sub will backfire against a quality team more often then not.

I'll refrain myself from giving my opinion on Tutt. Curnow's playing as a outside mid at the moment but we can do better. Play Murphy in his role and Gibbs will take his spot at the centre circle.

Hopefully Gibbs is actually fit enough to make a impact.

As much as you would like for it to happen, Barker is not going to drop Curnow after 28 touches and 3 tackles. True he wasn't fantastic, but it would be a stupid move to make.

Holman would be stiff as well after laying 7 tackles and applying great pressure. I would swap both with the two Blaines.
Can't play Menzel and Johnson in the same team at the moment. And I would stick with Holman over Boekhorst at this current time.

Whiley looks certain to be dropped, and there is no need to provide an opinion on Tutt, I'm sure everybody understands.

A few people calling for Tutt to be dropped but I thought he had a great game last night.

OUT: Boekhurst (Omitted) Whiley (Omitted) Wood (Omitted) Holman (Omitted)
IN: Gibbs, Docherty, Carrazzo, Menzel/or Walker

I think we can beat these pretenders. Carlton by 15!

NO! NO! NO! I'd be disappointed if Holman got dropped before Johnson or Tutt.

It was an ugly win but a good win. Those are the types of games Richmond have struggled with. Given the journey they have been on since Hardwick arrived it shows things are still improving in the areas of concern. Yesterday demonstrated the team can win the hoodoo games.

Having said that next week against the Blues is still in hoodoo territory as is the one against the Saints a bit further along. These are important 'lower class' battles coming up.

This year Carlton is a minnow and Richmond has to get this win. This is not the Blues team of last year or two years ago this is a very down blues team. The last few weeks though have been much better.

Carlton have caused painful injury to the RFC and I'm sure there are a few Richmond supporters who still feel the sting of that finals loss two years ago. I'm one of them. I hope the Tigers stand over the Blues and take what's rightfully theirs on Friday night. They are clearly the better side this season even if currently the Blues are playing with a bit more pluck and spirit.

Friday nights game is still in hoodoo territory but not to the extent of playing against GWS more like playing against Brisbane or GC but any team can win on their day.

Just a reminder that this is NOT a Banter thread.

No idea who will come in and who will go out but I'd like to see Holman and Boekhorst retained.

Holman must get a run of games after all the excellent showings through the NB's
Nothing will be achieved by throwing him back after one and a half games............(see Graham)

Boekhorst also had some good runs on the board before this apparently poor performance last night. (I haven't watched the game)
He has to be given a specific role and to work into it. He has a good footy brain about him and he'll work it out.

No idea who will come in and who will go out but I'd like to see Holman and Boekhorst retained.

Holman must get a run of games after all the excellent showings through the NB's
Nothing will be achieved by throwing him back after one and a half games............(see Graham)

Boekhorst also had some good runs on the board before this apparently poor performance last night. (I haven't watched the game)
He has to be given a specific role and to work into it. He has a good footy brain about him and he'll work it out.

Holman? ABSOLUTELY! Looks great and he is finding his place. 6/7 tackles has got to say something. I don't know why people are wanting to drop him.

Boekhorst? FORGET IT! A performance like that does not give him another chance. Yes, he will improve, but he needs another preseason. As of now, I don't enjoy seeing him play like a Kane Lucas 2.0.

Boekhorst? FORGET IT! A performance like that does not give him another chance. Yes, he will improve, but he needs another preseason. As of now, I don't enjoy seeing him play like a Kane Lucas 2.0.

You've probably got good reasons to say that but I don't think it's the speed of the game that Boekhorst has to acclimatize to, as much as not to fear it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was an ugly win but a good win. Those are the types of games Richmond have struggled with. Given the journey they have been on since Hardwick arrived it shows things are still improving in the areas of concern. Yesterday demonstrated the team can win the hoodoo games.

Having said that next week against the Blues is still in hoodoo territory as is the one against the Saints a bit further along. These are important 'lower class' battles coming up.

This year Carlton is a minnow and Richmond has to get this win. This is not the Blues team of last year or two years ago this is a very down blues team. The last few weeks though have been much better.

Carlton have caused painful injury to the RFC and I'm sure there are a few Richmond supporters who still feel the sting of that finals loss two years ago. I'm one of them. I hope the Tigers stand over the Blues and take what's rightfully theirs on Friday night. They are clearly the better side this season even if currently the Blues are playing with a bit more pluck and spirit.

Friday nights game is still in hoodoo territory but not to the extent of playing against GWS more like playing against Brisbane or GC but any team can win on their day.

Have you considered about which team plays better on the night? It's extremely ridiculous to say Richmond are deserving of the win before the match even comes around.

You've probably got good reasons to say that but I don't think it's the speed of the game that Boekhorst has to acclimatize to, as much as not to fear it.

It's great you have faith in him but it would frustrate me if they dropped any player other than Tutt before him.

He got little of the ball and when he did get it, he fumbled and got caught a couple of times. It is for his own good as well. He was the laughing stock of our team last night, judging by social media comments.

If everyone is available
In. Gibbs, Doc, Menz, Rowe, Carrots
Out. Wood, Tutt, Whiley, Curnow, Holman

Bucks - Jamo - White
Doc- Rowe - 2e
Yaz - Cripps - Gibbs
BJ - Hendo - Menz
Army - Cas - Dre
Kruz - Murph - Carrots
Bell - Nick G - Simmo- BB

Where's 1AW at?

Holman stiff

Last edited:

Assuming Gibbs, Rowe, Carrazzo and Menzel are available, then who are the four to make way.

Whiley out for Gibbs. Everett (inj) for Rowe. Tutt out for Menzel. One of the Blaines for Carrazzo?

MC have a bit of a dilemma
Ideally you give a kid like Boek an extended run, and clearly that is a current objective under Barks and the rebuild, but, at the same time it's hard to justify a follow up game after last night, and, more importantly if he plays poorly again it could impact on his self esteem and confidence
Might come down to whether Cripps and Spider play and ditto whether Carrots and Menz come back or not - reality is we are stretched right now

Harker, you're one of the more clued up peeps here but I have to say Boeks footy brain was not working at all last night. He was a dead set liability. Didn't know where to run to and ballsed it up nearly everytime he got it sapping the team of momentum going forward

My view is he has a serious problem adjusting mentally to the seniors

Saw Graham limping after the game. Hope my eyes were deceived!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say Boeks footy brain was not working at all last night. He was a dead set liability. Didn't know where to run to and ballsed it up nearly everytime he got it sapping the team of momentum going forward

Maybe, but I don't think so.

His two last weeks in the VFL may have seen him run out of juice but having watched him close the past few weeks, he's too good a player to spend too much time in the 2's. Probably going to be hard to convince anyone after last night it seems, but I wouldn't worry......................yet.

MC have a bit of a dilemma
Ideally you give a kid like Boek an extended run, and clearly that is a current objective under Barks and the rebuild, but, at the same time it's hard to justify a follow up game after last night, and, more importantly if he plays poorly again it could impact on his self esteem and confidence
Might come down to whether Cripps and Spider play and ditto whether Carrots and Menz come back or not - reality is we are stretched right now

Harker, you're one of the more clued up peeps here but I have to say Boeks footy brain was not working at all last night. He was a dead set liability. Didn't know where to run to and ballsed it up nearly everytime he got it sapping the team of momentum going forward

I agree that he was liability, however im just not sure he was suited to the style of play both teams dished up.

There was very little run and carry coming from both teams, the doggies had defensive setup and were constantly flooding their defensive half. Very few play ons when marks were taken, and the umpires allowed the game to be turned into a rolling maul essentially This would have played a major factor in Boekys poor game.

Numerous times he was given the ball and tried to burst but had multiple opposition surrounding him. Its hard to say at this point if he keeps his spot.

Maybe, but I don't think so.

His two last weeks in the VFL may have seen him run out of juice but having watched him close the past few weeks, he's too good a player to spend too much time in the 2's. Probably going to be hard to convince anyone after last night it seems, but I wouldn't worry......................yet.

Boekhorst had a couple of clangers, but was taking the game on, which he should be encouraged to do. Is a bit unsure as yet, but has the tools
and will get a return on investment if we give him a block of games. There are ways to build confidence and yo-yo dumping is not the way.
Perhaps sub rotation, but give him a couple more please.

Similarly Holman was used in defensive rotations as BB and Tutt were not able to play that role. A little down on last week, but
enough, particularly pressure wise to warrant another game or 2.

Surely Whiley, Tutt and Johnson are the first to give way if Doc and Menz come back with Gibbs and Carrazzo.

I saw Boekhorst play the way he did when he first played VFL. It took him a few games to pick up the tempo and work his way in, and that's what will happen in the AFL as well in my opinion. I'd persist with him for that reason...I've seen him do it before. Furthermore, the game last night was very congested which doesn't suit Boekhorst's natural style.

As much as you would like for it to happen, Barker is not going to drop Curnow after 28 touches and 3 tackles. True he wasn't fantastic, but it would be a stupid move to make.

Holman would be stiff as well after laying 7 tackles and applying great pressure. I would swap both with the two Blaines.
Can't play Menzel and Johnson in the same team at the moment. And I would stick with Holman over Boekhorst at this current time.

Whiley looks certain to be dropped, and there is no need to provide an opinion on Tutt, I'm sure everybody understands.

Curnow's skills aren't good enough for his current role.

Carazzo and Gibbs inside and Murphy outside.

Better setup. No point playing favourites with a rebuilding side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back