Preview Rd 2 Vs West Coast - Pre-Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd add Smith to that list. To think we only lost by 7 points with all those players under performing ,eams we aren't as far away as some think!
Didn't we say that after the GF? The problem is it always seems to be the same players under performing, so maybe they aren't under performing?

We seem to lose the close games with a raft of players "under performing", I'm actually starting to think it is actually only a few players that are keeping us in games.

For mine Simpkin has to come in, reward him for his solid pre-season performances.

Gunston needs to be looked at, was very ordinary in the games I watched in the pre-season and carried that into the season. Not sure Shiels is fit either.

My changes this weekend:
Ins: Simpkin, Cheney
Out: Bailey, Shiels

I'm sticking with Gunston and think we should actually be using him as our out and out full forward, and use Franklin as more of a CHF. Savage and Smith get another chance, but should know they are on notice.

So for me:
F Bruest - Gunston - Roughead
HF Lewis - Franklin - Rioli
C Smith - Mitchell - Hill
HB Birchall - Gibson - Burgoyne
B Stratton - Schoenmaekers - Guerra
Foll Hale - Sewell - Simpkin
Int Cheney Puopolo Savage
Sub Anderson

If Hill is out, then look at Dureya

Hodge is on 750k a year and needs to be played at Subiaco and needs to keep out of the pubs and off the booze for 2013 and lead the club.
Roughead is on 500k a year and is spooked. he has zero physical presence as a forward. Ffs mate you are 100kgs so stick your knees into a few defenders and show some Cnut. He needs to be played in a position where he can no longer hide. CHB or Ruck every week and make him earn his pay.
Gunston leading from the goal square hard and fast at the ball carrier.
Shiels looked 3-4 games away from being match fit so don't play him.
I would play wanganeen duryea Anderson and Hill and try and run run run.

This could get ugly fast.
I fear a 70 point loss.
Bailey cannot be played at Subi. End Of Story.
I

This a huge game in my opinion. It's easy to use the 6 day break vs 2 weeks etc, but West Coast are just as underdone as us. They have a huge amount of injuries to arguably more important players than us, so if we don't go in breathing fire I'll be furious. It's time to step up and win a big game interstate and get back on track.

Changes:
In - Cheney, Simpkin, Dureya
Out - Hale, Shields, Savage

B Guerra, Gibson, Stratton
HB Cheney, Schoemakers, Birchall
C Burgoyne, Mitchell, Lewis
HF Smith, Franklin, Bruest
F Gunston, Rough, Rioli

Followers: Bailey, Simpkin, Sewell
Int: Anderson, Puopolo, Dureya (if fit)
Sub: Hill

-I would give Lake another week to get cherry ripe for Cloke and Collingwood.
-Went for Max over Hale, cause he is a much better tap ruckmen, too top heavy with both in the team.
-Like Shields, but doesn't look match fit, shouldn't have played last week.
-Anderson to start, should be pretty fresh after just playing one quarter.
-Hill to start as sub after struggling after half time and getting subbed.
-Burgers to play more mid/forward than in defence, we need some class forward of the centre and another clearance player with some decent speed.
-Give Rioli, Franklin, Gunston space, and don't just bomb it on their heads like last week.

That's my two bobs anyway.

Smith has been underperforming for a while now and goes missing in all big games, so i think its time for a stint in the twos (wont happen but).
Cant believe everyone asking for gunston to be dropped? He plays like a true lead up forward and our bullshit long bomb game plan pretty much gave him no chance.
Move roughy out of the forward line, time to find him a new role (backline&!!). Gunston to ff and franklin chf moving up the ground taking shots on the run from outside 50. The rest of the forward line go small (rioli, bruest and lewis/burgoyne floating through).
We need to start giving our kids some game time for obvious reason, so hill and anderson should definately remain. Bailey bye bye, yes u have a decent tap but unfortunTely in most other teams thats not enough to keep your spot. Id be tempted to bring in grimley purely based on what i saw in nab cup. He is an athelete and will out perform a lot of midfields aerobically around the ground.
I also like the idea of duyrea getting a game in the hope it may allow birch to have a run through the middle at certain stages.
If we are looking to drop anyone, smith/savage/shiels(didnt look fit)are all lucky to be getting a game which is unfortunate because they are supposed to be our future. They lack intensity and desire(along with a lot of other players) and i feel sorry for poor old mitch for always having to carry the team whwn the going gets tough.

Didn't we say that after the GF? The problem is it always seems to be the same players under performing, so maybe they aren't under performing?

We seem to lose the close games with a raft of players "under performing", I'm actually starting to think it is actually only a few players that are keeping us in games.

For mine Simpkin has to come in, reward him for his solid pre-season performances.

Gunston needs to be looked at, was very ordinary in the games I watched in the pre-season and carried that into the season. Not sure Shiels is fit either.

Sheils shouldn't have played wasn't right

Smith has been underperforming for a while now and goes missing in all big games, so i think its time for a stint in the twos (wont happen but).
Cant believe everyone asking for gunston to be dropped? He plays like a true lead up forward and our bullshit long bomb game plan pretty much gave him no chance.
Move roughy out of the forward line, time to find him a new role (backline&!!). Gunston to ff and franklin chf moving up the ground taking shots on the run from outside 50. The rest of the forward line go small (rioli, bruest and lewis/burgoyne floating through).
We need to start giving our kids some game time for obvious reason, so hill and anderson should definately remain. Bailey bye bye, yes u have a decent tap but unfortunTely in most other teams thats not enough to keep your spot. Id be tempted to bring in grimley purely based on what i saw in nab cup. He is an athelete and will out perform a lot of midfields aerobically around the ground.
I also like the idea of duyrea getting a game in the hope it may allow birch to have a run through the middle at certain stages.
If we are looking to drop anyone, smith/savage/shiels(didnt look fit)are all lucky to be getting a game which is unfortunate because they are supposed to be our future. They lack intensity and desire(along with a lot of other players) and i feel sorry for poor old mitch for always having to carry the team whwn the going gets tough.

I like most of your points and wouldn't mind seeing them played out, but very tough on Bailey he tried his guts out and actually looked ok taking a few grabs, could be just a case of playing him for a while to find his mojo!

I like most of your points, but a little strong on Max he was pretty good against the Cats, took grabs showed some mongrel, maybe need some more game time under his belt...

Some good points but maybe a little strong on Max he could really improve with some more game time

Sorry for the extra posts the comp was crashing and I thought the posts hadn't gone through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Combine a 6 day break v 15 day break, hot conditions, subi being a big ground, our poor record in Perth, no one to play on Cox and the way we didn't run out the Cats game we won't win but should be able to completely knacker ourselves and chances v Pies the following week to kick off with a zip - 3 start and have to play catch up for rest of the season.

Well yeah, that was the intention when the fixture was drawn up.

In- Lake, Simpkin
Out- Bailey, Sheils

Bailey makes way for Lake, who is a no brainer if fit.
If not match fit Simpkin should be in the team ahead of Sheils.

Guerra Lake Stratton
Birchall Gibson Burgoyne
Franklin Mitchell Smith
Bruest Roughead Lewis
Gunston Schoenmakers Rioli
Hale Sewell Puopolo
Simpkin Anderson Savage
Sub- Hill

With Lake in, I'd swing Schoenmakers forward, let Buddy roam over the large Subiaco wings, Puopolo to spend more time on ball, give Anderson a full game and use Hill as the sub.

In- Lake, Simpkin
Out- Bailey, Sheils

Bailey makes way for Lake, who is a no brainer if fit.
If not match fit Simpkin should be in the team ahead of Sheils.

Guerra Lake Stratton
Birchall Gibson Burgoyne
Franklin Mitchell Smith
Bruest Roughead Lewis
Gunston Schoenmakers Rioli
Hale Sewell Puopolo
Simpkin Anderson Savage
Sub- Hill

With Lake in, I'd swing Schoenmakers forward, let Buddy roam over the large Subiaco wings, Puopolo to spend more time on ball, give Anderson a full game and use Hill as the sub.
Agreed with the Simpkin call ...he must come in...but Shoey forward ?? for the first time in 3 years he beat his opponent and was a standout in the back half and you want to send him forward now ? he needs stability in the position,..
Hill shouldn't be a sub he's in my supercoach team!;)

Is that you Alastair?? Your not making excuses again?
art_kennett-200x0.jpg

Roughead is on 500k a year and is spooked. he has zero physical presence as a forward. Ffs mate you are 100kgs so stick your knees into a few defenders and show some Cnut. He needs to be played in a position where he can no longer hide. CHB or Ruck every week and make him earn his pay.

Interesting on Roughy. Post 2008 he has been patchy but largely unsuccessful as a key forward and missing for large periods of that time. He was reborn last season as the mobile ruck utility but became a spent force by the end of the season. He needs to play this role, full stop. It gets him involved and he is a fierce competitor playing on the ball.

I would prefer he rested every 5 rounds, workload managed and continue to dominate the mobile ruck position than hide out in a key forward role.

I don't really understand this. In effect, they are saying that flying to Perth will cause leg injuries, or at least increase the risk. If he is right to play in Melbourne, he should be right to play in Perth. They have physios and masseurs going with the team don't they?

Or are they saying that the ground is too big/hard? Again, he is a key back who does go for too many 50m sprints. The ground should not be a concern either.

If the club is thinking along the lines of protecting players just because we are playing in Perth, then we are not thinking about winning, just getting through the game with no injury and live to fight next week.

IMO, if they are fit, they play. I guess the big question really is whether he is fit.
I think they're saying that he needed a run last Monday. Would go over to Perth under-prepared - better to give him a run at BH.

Lake is a big risk for this week so he might line up at Box Hill. I hope we don't take Bailey and Hale to Perth. Way too slow. We will get killed on the wide open spaces at Subiaco. We need to drop one of Bailey or Hale for a running player like Simpkin.

Bailey is too slow and was an absolute liability around the ground in the first half yesterday, Hale was average also but he provides more than Bailey at this point in time.

I really dislike this comment, this so called liability gave our midfielders an arm chair ride at the stoppages.....he pressured he tackled, he had urgency in his game, unlike Hale.
I couldn't care less if he gets possies around the ground, winning the tap outs and giving our midfielders first use of the ball, pressuring, tackling at the stoppages and keeping his direct opponent out of the game is all I care about....If he does this we will go a long way to winning matches.

How was he slow, when he was forced to chase down Motlop and Varcoe on the wing, those two players would make almost the entirety of our list look slow.
Where the hell was those two Geelong players direct opponents and why was Bailey forced to do the work of our slack midfieders, Bailey chased and didn't give up, he pressured the whole way.

Roughead plays his best in the ruck so I would be starting him them and having Hale either forward or on the bench, they can rotate the ruck duties. If Bailey plays then we do not have the option of resting him forward as he does not have the ability to kick 3-5 like Hale has done for us in the past.

He has had a lot of issues with injuries over the years and I would play him at Box Hill and leave him there for at least 6-8 weeks and allow him to get some continuity into his game, get some confidence back. If Hale continues to under perform then bring Bailey in to replace him and give him the opportunity to prove himself then.

It's about team balance at this point and you simply cannot have both of them in the 1 team when we are already slow enough as is, right now Hale is ahead of him.

I do agree that only two of Roughead Bailey and Hale should play, Hale does have the ability to kick 3 or 5 goals, but against shit teams when we have complete midfield dominance, against good teams he's nothing more than a withes hat, a timid one at that. He no longer has the protection in the ruck where he can impede the oppositions run at the ball....due to the new rucking rules. Bailey is now our best option and deserves to be given a go to make the Ruck position his own.

Our entry into our forward 50 is an absolute disgrace, If its a directive from Clarkson to bomb it long and into packs then he's lost his mind, we aren't playing to our strengths, none of our forwards are contested pack marking types, Roughead's hands are an absolute embarrassment. Leave our forward 50 open for gods sake and let Franklin and Gunston lead to the ball. Currently we have a congested forward line while allows the opposition to zone off to make a spoil and then reload on the fast break. (On the weekend we didn't have anyone one out).

I'm now also concerned about our defensive half and its lack of run and creativity, I thinks its a concern of Clarkson too, we had Mitchell playing the majority of the time in our defensive half. When really he should be the one delivering the pill to our forwards inside 50.( Robbing Peter to pay Paul).
When Birchall finally gets tagged again and dragged to the last line and out of play, ( Prelim and Grand final) we are going to see some stagnant sh*t. Suckers is a massive loss.

It may be time to fast track Duryea......decent speed, creative and polished by foot, its time to get games into him.

B: Duryea Gibson Guerra
HB: Birchall Shoey Burgoyne
M: Hill Sewell Smith
HF: Gunston Franklin Breust
F: Lewis Roughead Puopolo
R: Bailey Mitchell Rioli

Int: Stratton Simpkin Shiels

Sub: Anderson

Out: Hale Savage
In : Duryea Simpkin

Status
Not open for further replies.