Autopsy Rd 21: Freo go down in a close one

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm kinda saddened people in here are so surprised at how many votes he's gotten and where he sits amongst other rucks / KPPS (only Curnow has more I believe), I think even on this board his year has been undervalued.
He’d be right up there in the doig too. Can only think of Serong who’s had a better season than him this year (obv with Darcy injured)

He’d be right up there in the doig too. Can only think of Serong who’s had a better season than him this year (obv with Darcy injured)
Yeah he'll be 2nd behind Serong and only because it rewards consistency more than highs. He's our best / most impactful player

I'm kinda saddened people in here are so surprised at how many votes he's gotten and where he sits amongst other rucks / KPPS (only Curnow has more I believe), I think even on this board his year has been undervalued.
I think I've been too rattled by the shitty season we're having and also spending a lot more time focusing on my Fantasy team to really pay attention to how good he has actually been for a majority of the year. Like I know and recognise he's had big games this season, the first Swans game comes to mind, but his whole season has actually been really really good. If he isn't 2nd (behind Serong) in our B&F, I'll be shocked.

Makes all the drama and hot takes about him from round 1 look hilarious in hindsight.

He’s been undervalued because of the apparent high price in regards to the draft picks used to get him here which in my opinion is flawed. Main reason is because draft picks are a lottery, even the number one pick. There’s no guarantees a player will reach his potential for various reasons (attitude, frail body, bad luck, whatever). Jackson in this instance is as safe a bet as you can possibly have.
If Melbourne get a generational player for our first pick well so be it. Chances of that happening are same as them picking a bust or a run of the mill B grader. It’s a luck of the draw

I just think the team needed to do the basics better, and there is a bit of knowing our leading patterns in the forward line. In the first quarter especially, there would be a lead either towards the ball carrier or back towards goal, and the player with the ball would choose the wrong place to put it.

Also missed a few hand balls, kicks behind, body checking etc when in the clear.

Otherwise I thought a good performance - probably a little bit uneven in that some players contributed more than others.
Just rewatched the game after seeing it live
The little fumbles and missing a few easy shots were the difference

So many little things don’t quite go our way either ( Jackson goal hitting post on siren , Jackson goal hitting post after stoppage .

Over all it was a really good game .

Best of all I really couldn’t fault the umpiring. One high to Corbett got missed but we got away with a few as well .
Glad to see them paying push in the back again .
Pretty sure Brisbane get away with that a lot at home

Yeah he'll be 2nd behind Serong and only because it rewards consistency more than highs. He's our best / most impactful player
Id be fairly comfortable in saying that Jackson has carried the team this season
Look forward to the day when people stop complaining about his draft cost
Get over it , best thing that’s happened to Freo since Pav , Fyfe and Mundy ( and Young 😁)

Last edited:
Just got around to watching the highlights.

Those still on the fence about Sturt, just go back and watch his pressure act late in the 4th to force a turnover, sprint back to the FWD line then double back again to take strong mark on a good lead before slotting a clutch goal from the boundary.

Just lol if we dont sign him up, the point of difference forward we've been looking for ages and theres a possibility we'll let him walk

Just got around to watching the highlights.

Those still on the fence about Sturt, just go back and watch his pressure act late in the 4th to force a turnover, sprint back to the FWD line then double back again to take strong mark on a good lead before slotting a clutch goal from the boundary.

Just lol if we dont sign him up, the point of difference forward we've been looking for ages and theres a possibility we'll let him walk
All the more reason is that the other alternatives we have in our forward line are quite limited by comparison.
I’m very confident Sturt will kick a lot of goals over the next decade and it better be for us.

At the Dockers game yesterday, third quarter, Charlie Cameron takes a mark. Refuses to listen to the umpire.
Daniher is running around behind Cameron like a pork chop.
Charges into the forward line banging and crashing. Charlie still refuses to listen until Daniher makes a lead, drags Freo players to watch. Charlie decides the time is right, kicks the ball high. AhChee sees a gap left by Freo backs watching Daniher, flys , takes a mark. Kicks a vital goal.
Intelligent football from Cameron.
But how does an umpire waste over a minute telling a player where his line is without calling play on.
The mind boggles at the inability of four umpires to control a game

At the Dockers game yesterday, third quarter, Charlie Cameron takes a mark. Refuses to listen to the umpire.
Charges into the forward line banging and crashing. Charlie still refuses to listen until Daniher makes a lead, drags Freo players to watch. Charlie decides the time is right, kicks the ball high. AhChee sees a gap left by Freo backs watching Daniher, flys , takes a mark. Kicks a vital goal.
But how does an umpire waste over a minute telling a player where his line is without calling play on.
I remember that. The crowd was going crazy because he was taking so long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have written to the umpires to get some sort of reason as to why the umpire allowed the situation too happen.
Did you? Like a letter? To the AFL Umpires Association? Respect it, letters don't get written much nowadays.

Baby Hat GIF

They had a couple like that. We had a kick deep in our back pocket and I think Daniher took forever to come back to the 9m line despite the umpire telling him several times. In a similar situation Amiss gave away a 50m penalty for a lot less earlier in the year, he wasn't even asked to come because players are supposed to know to come back to the 9.

Then on the wing I think it was either out on the full or deliberate and the Brisbane player held the ball for ages asking the umpire whose ball it was despite only one player being there, and it obviously being a free kick.

I might be dreaming but this could be a diversion tactic by Brisbane to let their forwards set up
Hipwood did a similar thing down the other end carrying on about something which distracted our defence , meanwhile Cameron slips into the pocket to take a mark

This leads me to another observation this year and this is definitely a youth issue .
A lot of our guys , particularly Ras , seem to play waiting for the whistle during some contentious situations, meanwhile play passes them by . Coach needs to drill them to keep playing till the whistle blows .

I might be dreaming but this could be a diversion tactic by Brisbane to let their forwards set up
Hipwood did a similar thing down the other end carrying on about something which distracted our defence , meanwhile Cameron slips into the pocket to take a mark

This leads me to another observation this year and this is definitely a youth issue .
A lot of our guys , particularly Ras , seem to play waiting for the whistle during some contentious situations, meanwhile play passes them by . Coach needs to drill them to keep playing till the whistle blows .
I did insinuate that it was a ploy by them.Clever if it is that.But one day the umpires will wake up, but then again , maybe not.

I did insinuate that it was a ploy by them.Clever if it is that.But one day the umpires will wake up, but then again , maybe not.
Yes I was agreeing with you
The umpiring of the Cameron one was pretty poor , gave him way too much leeway , should either have called play on or taken it off him after all that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back