Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, has it been confirmed that stewart is returning this week

I reckon it's time to play Conway. We're 7-0. The difference between Stanley and Conway is marginal. The chance picking Conway costs us a game is slim.

So what's the best move? Play Conway as often as his body can safely handle. And play Stanley just enough to have him cherry ripe for finals. Then decide at the end of the year who is our number 1.
Long term lover of Hawkins and Stanley
-as I was of Mooney and Milburn
2011- CS ended up picking Hawkins over Mooney, and probably Duncan over Milburn
2024- It's evolving. Neale over Hawkins, Conway over Stanley. Not sure how often and when, but by next year, that transition should be complete.

Weve got the best coach and defence in the league and Melbourne cant score and Clarry is miles off it at the moment. We'll be right my fellow Catter.
Demons can score. Their new defender come forward was great last week.
We do have a great coach, but this is more of when we play them rather than who we play this week.
Fully rested, lot of pressure on Viney, Petracca and Oliver to perform, and they will.
The loss of Dangerfield seems underrated here, and this week in particular.
Not a shock to drop a game to Demons, and they should be slight favourites.

He can deal with it when his contract expires at the end of this year. Meanwhile he continues to be in the AFL top ten for goal assists and has Doug Wade's record in his sights, as well as a premiership tilt. Let him roll.

This week so far we are going to ditch Stanley, Parfitt, Dempsey, Hawk, Ollie, Blics and any other BF outcasts- but Touhey is back in favour. Funny that.
On the AFL App, Hawkins is ranked 156 for score involvements. Miers ranked 14, Cameron at 16. Where do you get your goal assists data from?

On the AFL App, Hawkins is ranked 156 for score involvements. Miers ranked 14, Cameron at 16. Where do you get your goal assists data from?

A great article (April 2024) for an overview of Tom's career irrespective of their source on stats:

"A statistical breakdown of his last five seasons demonstrates this. Hawkins has ranked in the top 10 in goal assists, total goals and overall score involvements every year since 2018, holding the top rank at the end of the season at different stages in each category."

Okay this one is older 2022. Maybe if you give him the rest of the 2024 season he could maintain (build) his record?

"Albeit as a statistic best maintained since 2003, Hawkins is ranked 7th of all time for goal assists and the highest ranked key forward in the statistics, with 248 goal assists in his 303 games after the first round of 2022."

A great article (April 2024) for an overview of Tom's career irrespective of their source on stats:

"A statistical breakdown of his last five seasons demonstrates this. Hawkins has ranked in the top 10 in goal assists, total goals and overall score involvements every year since 2018, holding the top rank at the end of the season at different stages in each category."

Okay this one is older 2022. Maybe if you give him the rest of the 2024 season he could maintain (build) his record?

"Albeit as a statistic best maintained since 2003, Hawkins is ranked 7th of all time for goal assists and the highest ranked key forward in the statistics, with 248 goal assists in his 303 games after the first round of 2022."
I agree Hawkins has been a great player but you should put some context around your quotes. I'm concerned with Hawkins' recent form and recent to me is 2024. You don't get a guernsey based on how you used to play.

I agree Hawkins has been a great player but you should put some context around your quotes. I'm concerned with Hawkins' recent form and recent to me is 2024. You don't get a guernsey based on how you used to play.

In reality though, Hawkins does and will continue to do so, despite (what appears to us) a slump in form/health.
Something he has recovered from before, I'm sure the Club will give him every chance if he wants it.
I think the BF pro agenda for Neale is driving the undertakers measuring tape somewhat on Hawk.

Context is clear, champion then, champion now in a winning team.

Last edited:
Melbourne's defence is leagues ahead of Carlton's but their forward line is basically non-existent.

Goodwin is a better coach than Voss, but ultimately I don't think it matters.

Geelong by 15

It's pretty clear that Hawkins is "role playing" right now.

He still demands the opposition's best defender. A few years ago it was "Hawkins island" where the forward line worked to isolate him. Now it's the reverse, he works to get separation from Jezza, Ollie etc and give them the opportunity to kick the goals.

Hawkins Island meant that Geelong's approach was predictable. This new approach means there are at least 3 or 4 paths to goal, with Tommy dragging an A-grade opponent away from the 3 or 4 contests on offer to Miers, Duncan etc.

And sure, maybe Hawkins' opponent decides to sag off and affect the contest where Cameron is the target, but....would you? It's a massive risk leaving Hawkins on his own to try and affect another contest. Hell, it's a risk being left one out with the man-mountain. What happens if the kick is pulled last moment? What happens if you run off Tommy only to see the ball heading his way. It's a mindheck for defenders.

Geelong haven't always had the luxury of 4 dangerous forwards - but now they do.

The other forwards have the speed and agility to spread away from Tom and offer up leads and options.

IMHO - he's not kicking goals directly but he's still contributing in a massive way - nothing that will appear on the stats sheet.

In addition, it improves his longevity.

Last edited:
Lot of chat about how Rohan gets back in and comparisons to OHenry.

I also struggled to find a forward to drop for him, but the more I think about it, the more I think it won’t be too hard to fit him in. He played every game with OHenry last year. And the only addition to the forward mix has been Dempsey, but then Smith is out who played a bit of half forward last year. Plus miers, Cameron and dempsey are spending more time up the ground. When coupled with the ability we’ve shown for players to change their role from game to game (and sometimes within game), eg Atkins, bowes, Blicavs, tuohy, I don’t think it will take too much shuffling to rest/drop someone further up the field to fit him in.

That said everyone is playing well at the moment, but I think it’ll be easy enough to rotate out some players further up the ground to give him a stretch of games.

Not game related but I didn't know where to put this. Take a couple of minutes to admire the great man.

truly pants off stuff.

Just no better and like the OP says... all in 20 days.

With no disrespect to Jamie Elliot who deserves all the kudos he gets for that one mark... the comparison just isnt fair lol

GO Catters

truly pants off stuff.

Just no better and like the OP says... all in 20 days.

With no disrespect to Jamie Elliot who deserves all the kudos he gets for that one mark... the comparison just isnt fair lol

GO Catters
We were spoilt going to the footy in those days.
*off topic sorry, not sorry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its the Star Wars Game... and the Force has been with us.

7-0.

1 game clear on top of ladder.

The rebuild is over.

Its official. It lasted what 6 months? Bommbers, Saints, Dogs, Demons, North, Hawks.. hell all of them... dirty as right now.

We are now the hunted...... again... and they will come.

All 17 teams and their supporters will be gunning for our demise each week and will dance on the ruins should it happen.

PFD is gone IMO for 6 weeks. They will get him right and conservatively right for a long time before he comes back.

Tom Stewart should come back in to an already #1 ranked defense.

Rohan also has his hand up.

There is talk of the demise of Tomma - early in my view but yes hes closer to the end than the start. I consider that he's the most sharing and non greedy KPF in the game... and that V Weitering he torched his own game and led Weitering away from the contest - and leave Tomma unguarded at your peril.

The MF will need to be its best this week v Gawn and Company. We need Rhys to play up to the opponent level.

Not expecting too many unforced changes but we all know Scotty....

GO Catters
May the Force remain with us
1714605813492.jpeg

Not game related but I didn't know where to put this. Take a couple of minutes to admire the great man.

Started my Cats journey around the time of Abletts arrival. Couldn’t have timed it better, watched 95% of his games. Think Jezza up the ground, Hawkins out of the square with the pace of Holmes and the leap of Ollie Dempsey for reference if you’re too young to have seen it. Best ever by the length of the Flemington straight.

You forget how good he was. He would still dominate in today's game - balance, speed, explosive power and agility. You can see Gary Jnr in some of his moves. Both had that ability to keep their feet in contested situations guaranteeing quick access to any resulting ground ball. Multiple times last week Geelong or Carlton players went to ground in a contest or even in an attempt to get to the ball first. It usually didn't end well. There should be a 'keep your feet' coach at the football club.

You forget how good he was. He would still dominate in today's game - balance, speed, explosive power and agility. You can see Gary Jnr in some of his moves. Both had that ability to keep their feet in contested situations guaranteeing quick access to any resulting ground ball. Multiple times last week Geelong or Carlton players went to ground in a contest or even in an attempt to get to the ball first. It usually didn't end well. There should be a 'keep your feet' coach at the football club.

When Blighty first came to the Cats Finknottle: he told Gazza Snr the most important fundamental in football was to keep your feet, whether it was directly after a marking contest or going for a ground-ball in a contested situation, otherwise if you didn't keep your feet, not only were you out of the contest but your team was down a man in the field of play...... nothing TRUER !!!

Is there anything more exciting at the footy than a forward dominating? When the ball goes forward, the crowd just goes nuts with anticipation. I was only a kid when Snr played but Hell it was exciting. We've been lucky in recent times, Hawkins has had a lot of those games, Cameron, Danger and Gas Jr, but every time it happens I am always reminded of Snr, what a legend on the football field

He can deal with it when his contract expires at the end of this year. Meanwhile he continues to be in the AFL top ten for goal assists and has Doug Wade's record in his sights, as well as a premiership tilt. Let him roll.

This week so far we are going to ditch Stanley, Parfitt, Dempsey, Hawk, Ollie, Blics and any other BF outcasts- but Touhey is back in favour. Funny that.

Hawkins has been a very good FF for Geel , but not as good as Doug Wade in my opinion

Wade was a big heavy bloke like Hawkins but it was amazing how high Wade could get off the ground re marking

There was a Geel FC publication one pre season i reckon either 1971 or 72 - and it previews Geelongs chances that year - with pictures of all the players and a bit of a write up on each of them - and on the front cover of that publication is Wade taking a screamer of a mark at KP in the goal square , Barwon River end , and he is standing on a Hawthorn blokes shoulders , i think it could be Don Scott

As good as Hawkins has been , i just think Wade gets the nod , being slightly better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back