Autopsy Rd 9 Carlton v Sydney Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

err no I made a prediction what might happen.

and then I was told that can't happen because 'we are last'.

If people want to live in dream land and think that it's not a possibility that Henderson might leave in the PSD then so be it.
Youre living in pessimistic land if you think Hendo is leaving through the PSD

Lets come back to this exact post at the end of the year

There are only two scenarios

1. Hendo signs on.
2. Hendo is traded.

I can guaren *in tee you that.

Henderson says he wants to be traded to Geelong for pick 30 or he's leaving in the PSD.

I hope SOS is dealing in reality and not just relying on 'Hendo' being a good bloke.

Henderson says he wants to be traded to Geelong for pick 30 or he's leaving in the PSD.

I hope SOS is dealing in reality and not just relying on 'Hendo' being a good bloke.
Yep youre the one living in reality. Where a 25 year old KPP with a lot of promise and potential is worth pick #30 - that's reality.

Need i draw your attention to the hack Dawes trade.

Nah its not reality to suggest two clubs can work out a trade of roughly market value.

I mean Beams walked into the PSD because Brisbane wouldnt offer enough.

Why would Hendo desperately * the club over to get to Geelong (geelong are s**t and its a shithole so i dont know where that is coming from) only for him to say "Get me traded for chips or I walk to the PSD" where he wont end up at Geelong but will instead end up at Carlton or the Suns because both woulf easily have enough cap space to cover him.

So tell me why AM I living in the fantasy land when
1. Logic
2. History
3. Logistics

Are all on my side of the argument!

I remove the worse case scenario by finishing last.

You hope and pray that the worst case scenario doesn't occur based on goodwill in a cut throat industry... and Geelong being a shithole...

I guess that is the difference between you and me.

In my opinion we are coming from so far back we can't leave anything to chance.

Those seniors you have mentioned have been A graders and don't just spud it up for no reason. Whatever that reason is, once we sort it out, the list won't be looking so s**t.

We should definitely trade out the players who can give us a good pick or player, but we can't just have a fire sale for the sake of it. Have to be selective.

We have so many players who are playing completely crap football compared to a few years ago.

They don't just lose their skill.

We need a decent coach with a decent game plan that he can pursuade the players will work if they apply themselves.

Just like the Dogs have.

No Griffen, Libba, Cooney, Higgins or Gia and the team that could not kick a goal last year is playing decent football and winning games.

Last edited:
We have so many players who are playing completely crap football compared to a few years ago.

They don't just lose their skill.

We need a decent coach with a decent game plan that he can pursuade the players will work if they apply themselves.

Just like the Dogs have.

No Griffen, Libba, Cooney, Higgins or Gia and the team that could not kick a goal last year is playing decent football and winning games.
How much of our low skill level is due to lack of confidence and how much due to players simply not being up to AFL standard?

Yep youre the one living in reality. Where a 25 year old KPP with a lot of promise and potential is worth pick #30 - that's reality.

Need i draw your attention to the hack Dawes trade.

Nah its not reality to suggest two clubs can work out a trade of roughly market value.

I mean Beams walked into the PSD because Brisbane wouldnt offer enough.

Why would Hendo desperately **** the club over to get to Geelong (geelong are s**t and its a shithole so i dont know where that is coming from) only for him to say "Get me traded for chips or I walk to the PSD" where he wont end up at Geelong but will instead end up at Carlton or the Suns because both woulf easily have enough cap space to cover him.

So tell me why AM I living in the fantasy land when
1. Logic
2. History
3. Logistics

Are all on my side of the argument!
I think it's dangerous to cherry pick cases. I can understand why Hendo would want to leave Carlton.......we are on the bottom of the ladder for a good reason and you couldn't blame any of the players for feeling there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel at this point. The fact that Murphs and Gibbsy have had to be reassured their positions are safe with the Blues speaks volumes of the missteps the Board continues to make.

No way that this was true at the time. With the wisdom of retrospect many would probably say it now, but not then.

I argued long and hard that losing Betts and gaining Daisy was not going to improve our list at all and was ridiculed by most on this forum who believed that Daisy was a far better all round player than Eddie. I did not want one or the other, I wanted both.

Been pretty hard over the last 2 years to not say "I told you so".
Many of us felt the same as you. To see a reasonably potent forward set-up decimated in the past few seasons is an indictment on decision making at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's dangerous to cherry pick cases. I can understand why Hendo would want to leave Carlton.......we are on the bottom of the ladder for a good reason and you couldn't blame any of the players for feeling there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel at this point. The fact that Murphs and Gibbsy have had to be reassured their positions are safe with the Blues speaks volumes of the missteps the Board continues to make.
How am I cherry picking cases?

How much of our low skill level is due to lack of confidence and how much due to players simply not being up to AFL standard?

I think its almost all due to lack of confidence and not accepting/understanding the gameplan, rather that players not being AFL standard.

You look at the way we move the ball, its clear the players are having to make it up as they go, hence things are slow and haphazard, making their skills LOOK bad.

Not like Hawthorn where the ball movement is like clockwork and players with the ball pretty much already know where their team mates will be before they even look. It makes even average players look good.

If we're talking about players wanting to go to Geelong then what I say is this: good luck to them. They've missed the easy boat ride to somewhere deep in September. Even if the Cats rally from here and find themselves in the bottom half of the eight come September they're no longer the premiership contender that they once were. In fact, even if they were to add a player of the quality of Henderson it is not going to be enough to propel them back into contending. Their older players are really starting to decline and their younger players lack that A grade quality to pick up the slack. They're good on their day but not nearly consistent enough anymore. That's not going to change by adding one or even two players when they're going to be losing even more.

Mainly confidence IMO.

I see players consistently second guessing themselves - playing as if they would rather kick to a contest than risk a turnover.

And our game plan has been so predictable we would have been a dream to coach against!!

Yeah Geelong is a basket case!

Not a basket case... Just not a contender anymore. It'd be like signing up to play for Man Utd now that they've lost most of their generational talent and expecting to win the EPL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back