RDFL 2014 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

GREAT READ OMNIPOTENT! last 3 pages have found alot of irrelevent comments about the footy. I have to agree with everything you have said. Rupo are a well structured team and i am impressed how they work together. No surprise Rockbank have dropped off, I will be surprised if they win 2 games this year. Boys will get a welcome addition to there kitchen at the clubrooms come seasons end (wooden spoon)
I like the way Sunbury are looking.

Thanks pal, it means a lot given that our other major contributor on here seems to have deserted us !!!............................ Itsmyshow ! ;)

We're not going to bring that up again are we.......

As I said a few months back, if anyone has umpire related questions they wish to ask, feel free, more than happy to answer what I can about rules, our group etc. Not really up for umpire bashing sessions though. As ChrisThaLedg said, we are struggling for numbers and depth so we request a bit of understanding. Anyone that thinks they could do a better job is more than welcome to try, we have plenty of spots available and maybe then I won't have umpire any more u/18 games before I head back out in the seniors.
If the RDFL had of got rid of a couple of umpires years ago the supporters & club officials wouldn't be so frustrated & sick & tired of the game being about them & having so much influence on the result, there's your problem right there!

If the RDFL had of got rid of a couple of umpires years ago the supporters & club officials wouldn't be so frustrated & sick & tired of the game being about them & having so much influence on the result, there's your problem right there!

There you go. It's things like this that piss us guys off. How would you like it if I came straight out and said what I'm sick off and who I thought we should get rid of to make the league a better place. That wouldn't be acceptable now would it. I know exactly who and what we are talking about and people are still trying to fix the collateral damage. Time to forget it.

As for Omni's question, you don't have to love us, you don't have to think we did a good job, you can say we didn't do a good job but if you do, back it up with a question, there may well be an answer to it that solves the problem. Maybe it is something we can work on. If your game is filmed, have a 2nd look at the decision. I paid 2 incorrect decisions in rd 1 in the Broadford (b.hall) vs lancefield game last year. We put those and a few others up on the screen and turned it into a coaching session. We can always improve and if I can quote AFL umpire Brett Rosebury "we are our own worst critics".

I must say i get tired of posts that bag certain umpires. It is assumed by some that just because a certain umpire is on a game that they are going to get screwed. Most the time these guys do good jobs but don't get recognised. Glad you pointed out last week how well the umps did Omni.

umpires don't make decisions that cost games of football..

Let it go mate. I know how you feel, & I think you know what I think about your little incident......But I think we've already established on here that you never get a second chance at the "Big Ones" you miss out on. Dwelling on opportunities lost (whatever the reason) is only gunna bring misery, bitterness & sadness...........And that aint good for anyone !!!

There you go. It's things like this that piss us guys off. How would you like it if I came straight out and said what I'm sick off and who I thought we should get rid of to make the league a better place. That wouldn't be acceptable now would it. I know exactly who and what we are talking about and people are still trying to fix the collateral damage. Time to forget it.

As for Omni's question, you don't have to love us, you don't have to think we did a good job, you can say we didn't do a good job but if you do, back it up with a question, there may well be an answer to it that solves the problem. Maybe it is something we can work on. If your game is filmed, have a 2nd look at the decision. I paid 2 incorrect decisions in rd 1 in the Broadford (b.hall) vs lancefield game last year. We put those and a few others up on the screen and turned it into a coaching session. We can always improve and if I can quote AFL umpire Brett Rosebury "we are our own worst critics".

I must say i get tired of posts that bag certain umpires. It is assumed by some that just because a certain umpire is on a game that they are going to get screwed. Most the time these guys do good jobs but don't get recognised. Glad you pointed out last week how well the umps did Omni.
O U you can say what you like on here, that's my opinion, look at the time the young fella got hit, that was a disgrace & the player copped his right whack at the tribunal, but what led to it, frustration! Who was the kid coupled with?

Nice post O.U., & thanks for your speedy reply to my post. :thumbsu:

Look, I believe in telling it how it is, & when I see a good performance worthy of a mention then I wont hesitate in giving you blokes a rap.

But it's a double edged sword mate !!! :eek:

Let it go mate. I know how you feel, & I think you know what I think about your little incident......But I think we've already established on here that you never get a second chance at the "Big Ones" you miss out on. Dwelling on opportunities lost (whatever the reason) is only gunna bring misery, bitterness & sadness...........And that aint good for anyone !!!
Hello my good friend! What do we play for? I will let it go when you get over last years Donnybrook with Broardford! You see that's what pisses me off, the bloke is capable but you don't know what your going to get week to week, you have seen his best & you have seen his worst, miles apart!!

Hello my good friend! What do we play for? I will let it go when you get over last years Donnybrook with Broardford! You see that's what pisses me off, the bloke is capable but you don't know what your going to get week to week, you have seen his best & you have seen his worst, miles apart!!

G'day mate. Yes, yes his bad days do seem to abundantly outnumber his good ones but the alternative certainly aint that appealing either !......& that is, the clubs having to do the gig themselves ! How bad would that be ??? Maybe the bloke has finally got the job down pat after ALL these years ??? Who cares ! Lets just hope his good form of late continues on until he finally chooses to hang up the whistle eh ?

Oh ! And I'm well & truly over last years Donnybrook mate, in fact I love the good folk over at Broadford pal. I love their passion & commitment up there. They are like a mini Romsey, only on steroids ! When I look at our weekly match up & see Riddell v Broadford or Broadford v Riddell I cant wait to see what this day has in store........... And one thing it certainly is NOT, is boring my friend ! This fixture (for us anyway) over the past few years has provided a days viewing at the footy quite like no other. And they never fail to deliver plenty of "Grist" for my mill, post match ! In fact, one year up there I had a chat with one of the locals sitting on a fence side pew stuffing his face..........& he told me, "Playing against us mate, is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get" !!!..............................Then he just ran off ! ...............But he was right, playing against Broadford is indeed a unique experience, & one that I wont miss that's for sure !!! :):thumbsu:

G'day mate. Yes, yes his bad days do seem to abundantly outnumber his good ones but the alternative certainly aint that appealing either !......& that is, the clubs having to do the gig themselves ! How bad would that be ??? Maybe the bloke has finally got the job down pat after ALL these years ??? Who cares ! Lets just hope his good form of late continues on until he finally chooses to hang up the whistle eh ?

Oh ! And I'm well & truly over last years Donnybrook mate, in fact I love the good folk over at Broadford pal. I love their passion & commitment up there. They are like a mini Romsey, only on steroids ! When I look at our weekly match up & see Riddell v Broadford or Broadford v Riddell I cant wait to see what this day has in store........... And one thing it certainly is NOT, is boring my friend ! This fixture (for us anyway) over the past few years has provided a days viewing at the footy quite like no other. And they never fail to deliver plenty of "Grist" for my mill, post match ! In fact, one year up there I had a chat with one of the locals sitting on a fence side pew stuffing his face..........& he told me, "Playing against us mate, is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get" !!!..............................Then he just ran off ! ...............But he was right, playing against Broadford is indeed a unique experience, & one that I wont miss that's for sure !!! :):thumbsu:
Mate I'm going to have to give BF away, my wife thinks I'm into pr0n as every time I go on this site these well endowed women keep asking me if I would like to meet up with them, WTF!

Thanks pal, it means a lot given that our other major contributor on here seems to have deserted us !!!............................ Itsmyshow ! ;)
Don't despair OMNI, another major contributor to this forum posted the comment below last year and he did return from the dead. Hopefully there's another resurrection from him around the Easter period!

"Sorry boyz I've enjoyed posting ova the past ten years but this is my last post. This thread is dead!!!!! I won't go into why I think it's died a miserable death but just want people to have a look at all the other threads and see that ours stands alone as the the thread knowone bothers to post on anymore. The sad thing is that there's plenty happening in the rdfl but all the posters are gone"
Mongrel, May 22, 2013 Report
#776 Like

We're not going to bring that up again are we.......

As I said a few months back, if anyone has umpire related questions they wish to ask, feel free, more than happy to answer what I can about rules, our group etc. Not really up for umpire bashing sessions though. As ChrisThaLedg said, we are struggling for numbers and depth so we request a bit of understanding. Anyone that thinks they could do a better job is more than welcome to try, we have plenty of spots available and maybe then I won't have umpire any more u/18 games before I head back out in the seniors.
Hi O U , I was at the broadford v lancefield game on Saturday. In the seconds there was a bloke and lady umpiring in isolation that did an ok job but as a pair they were terrible. He paid very little ( which most seconds players seem to think is the way to go) she paid lots a bit like the afl of five years ago. This frustrated the players. Does much thought go into the pairings?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi O U , I was at the broadford v lancefield game on Saturday. In the seconds there was a bloke and lady umpiring in isolation that did an ok job but as a pair they were terrible. He paid very little ( which most seconds players seem to think is the way to go) she paid lots a bit like the afl of five years ago. This frustrated the players. Does much thought go into the pairings?

The coaches try to make an effort to take into account the game and its requirements but at this stage on the season its hard getting enough people on the park. We have had numerous people doubling up so far this season which isn't ideal.

Also we have new umpires that the coaches haven't really had a chance to see how they umpire and some umpires at the lower levels aren't always at training so developing an understanding of each other when you have just met can be hard. But the coaches do try their best.

The coaches try to make an effort to take into account the game and its requirements but at this stage on the season its hard getting enough people on the park. We have had numerous people doubling up so far this season which isn't ideal.

Also we have new umpires that the coaches haven't really had a chance to see how they umpire and some umpires at the lower levels aren't always at training so developing an understanding of each other when you have just met can be hard. But the coaches do try their best.
Clubs have to be prepared that the standard of umpiring probably won't be as high as it has been in previous years.. and of course that is in no disrespect to anyone running out in the fluro gear on the weekend.. and if anything, it is a great compliment to the coaching staff over the years that have helped developed a strong and talented list of umpires..
If the Association could attract the interest of some talented and experienced umpires over the coming weeks, that would be the ultimate.. but it's very unlikely..
Again, the umpires association is no different to a footy club.. you'll have a golden run with talented umpires leading the way and performing brilliant one year.. (players in the instance of clubs) and then these umpires do something else the next (join another club or retire if you're a player) .. the Association falls into the need to rebuild with young umpires who will make the odd mistake now and then, much like footy clubs going into a rebuilding phase.. it happens.. as much as it is hard to believe for many .. unfortunately on match day, umpires are the team in the minority group.. and we have young kids taking on adult jobs..

I have the outmost respect for anyone who disagrees with me on this, but I will never buy into the nonsense that an umpire can cost a team a game of football.. if a team is five or six goals up and gets rolled in the last minute by an umpires decision.. who was responsible for a team conceding five or six goals.. surely an umpire could not pay free kicks without a ball being touched by a play to concede these goals in quick succession.. surely missed tackles, missed timed kicks, poor decision making from players resulted in losing possession to send the ball into their backline where these goals were kicked.. these mistakes that players make that cost their team's a game of footy.. mistakes that umpires can easily make themselves because when the game gets close, the pressure is on you as an umpire to focus hard and do the best you can, and it isn't easy.. I hate when games get close because I spend more time on trying to be the best umpire that I can be instead of focusing on what is happening in front me .. players I'd imagine, would feel the same..
If an umpire's decision determines a match.. clubs should look at their players who missed a tackle, disposal, didn't man up properly before looking at the decision.. I've watched highlights from a recent grand final where a player up forward let his opposition backman get in front of him to take an easy mark that resulted in a chain of disposals that resulted in a big goal being kicked..
The Association needs the support of the league and it's supporters more than ever.. and again, if anyone can do better.. there are positions available..

Clubs have to be prepared that the standard of umpiring probably won't be as high as it has been in previous years.. and of course that is in no disrespect to anyone running out in the fluro gear on the weekend.. and if anything, it is a great compliment to the coaching staff over the years that have helped developed a strong and talented list of umpires..
If the Association could attract the interest of some talented and experienced umpires over the coming weeks, that would be the ultimate.. but it's very unlikely..
Again, the umpires association is no different to a footy club.. you'll have a golden run with talented umpires leading the way and performing brilliant one year.. (players in the instance of clubs) and then these umpires do something else the next (join another club or retire if you're a player) .. the Association falls into the need to rebuild with young umpires who will make the odd mistake now and then, much like footy clubs going into a rebuilding phase.. it happens.. as much as it is hard to believe for many .. unfortunately on match day, umpires are the team in the minority group.. and we have young kids taking on adult jobs..

I have the outmost respect for anyone who disagrees with me on this, but I will never buy into the nonsense that an umpire can cost a team a game of football.. if a team is five or six goals up and gets rolled in the last minute by an umpires decision.. who was responsible for a team conceding five or six goals.. surely an umpire could not pay free kicks without a ball being touched by a play to concede these goals in quick succession.. surely missed tackles, missed timed kicks, poor decision making from players resulted in losing possession to send the ball into their backline where these goals were kicked.. these mistakes that players make that cost their team's a game of footy.. mistakes that umpires can easily make themselves because when the game gets close, the pressure is on you as an umpire to focus hard and do the best you can, and it isn't easy.. I hate when games get close because I spend more time on trying to be the best umpire that I can be instead of focusing on what is happening in front me .. players I'd imagine, would feel the same..
If an umpire's decision determines a match.. clubs should look at their players who missed a tackle, disposal, didn't man up properly before looking at the decision.. I've watched highlights from a recent grand final where a player up forward let his opposition backman get in front of him to take an easy mark that resulted in a chain of disposals that resulted in a big goal being kicked..
The Association needs the support of the league and it's supporters more than ever.. and again, if anyone can do better.. there are positions available..

Einstein!

I don't want to be one of these umpire bashers but a few of us fellas commented to eachother on Saturday that our opposition romsey were getting a poor run from Simmons and the old bald Riddell bloke. Some very ironic cheers were heard when they got the very rare free. I can't believe we would be saying this but it appeared the two umpires were cheating or trying very hard to help us. Any 1 else see the game???

I don't want to be one of these umpire bashers but a few of us fellas commented to eachother on Saturday that our opposition romsey were getting a poor run from Simmons and the old bald Riddell bloke. Some very ironic cheers were heard when they got the very rare free. I can't believe we would be saying this but it appeared the two umpires were cheating or trying very hard to help us. Any 1 else see the game???

Yes mate, I watched the game and Semmo was made to look like the new gun recruit umpire we've all been waiting for compared to the other ump!
Diggers looked quite a 'big' team, whereas Romsey were smaller, but full of runners. Could be an interesting game on a big dry track. No ones fault (except the bloke who dumped 3" of rain on it), but the game was played in pretty heavy, boggy conditions

interesting reading the posts about your umpires no wonder the league carn't keep umpires but i hear the same from all the arm chair AFL fans as well and its louder if their team got beaten on the weekend .Now i am not a umpire but a coach in a differant leauge .
And in all my time in 40 odd years of playing and coaching i have never seen an ump kick a point or goal to win a game of footy.
If you look at the stats of each side each week i think you would find out that each team averages betwen 20 to 40 turn overs a game (Read mistakes)
now umps do make mistake but not even in the ball park with your footy team.what loses games are turn overs and poor skills and poor decison making not umpiring decisions . Try having a game with out umpires and my guess it would be a blood bath and just end up a brawl interupted with a bit of footy every now and then

New topic of conversation, what are people's thoughts on public holiday games, especially with Good Friday and Anzac Day so close together. Can't say i'm a massive fan but if I wasn't working i'd probably put my hand up for a game. Better than watching the Good Friday Appeal.

I love it. Provides a great opportunity for us to get along to other games other than our own club. Also bigger crowds can be a benefit to the hosting club.

Sent from my C625b using Tapatalk

I think the best part of the football community appreciate the job of umpires, but a handful of RDFL umpires enjoy the attention and draw players into their gun.
Umpires should be seen and not heard... enough from me they get to much attention in this league.

Sorry lastly, what is that crap they do before the GFinal when the worship the officiating umpires. That got up my goat. The End.

Don't despair OMNI, another major contributor to this forum posted the comment below last year and he did return from the dead. Hopefully there's another resurrection from him around the Easter period!

"Sorry boyz I've enjoyed posting ova the past ten years but this is my last post. This thread is dead!!!!! I won't go into why I think it's died a miserable death but just want people to have a look at all the other threads and see that ours stands alone as the the thread knowone bothers to post on anymore. The sad thing is that there's plenty happening in the rdfl but all the posters are gone"
Mongrel, May 22, 2013 Report
#776 Like
I enjoy reading about the footy but give me strength. Are you going back 12 months in his posts?

New topic of conversation, what are people's thoughts on public holiday games, especially with Good Friday and Anzac Day so close together. Can't say i'm a massive fan but if I wasn't working i'd probably put my hand up for a game. Better than watching the Good Friday Appeal.

Hate it O.U. I wont be over at Wallan for our game this week & I'm spewing this game is on Good Friday cause I really wanted to see how good Wallan are. I have a hunch they just might be in the mix too for that coveted 6th spot.
Good Friday is bigger than Christmas these days & most people (as I will) go away for this extended break. Easter week-end is off limits for footy fixturing...........I just hope Riddell can fill all their sides. :confused:

Hate it O.U. I wont be over at Wallan for our game this week & I'm spewing this game is on Good Friday cause I really wanted to see how good Wallan are. I have a hunch they just might be in the mix too for that coveted 6th spot.
Good Friday is bigger than Christmas these days & most people (as I will) go away for this extended break. Easter week-end is off limits for footy fixturing...........I just hope Riddell can fill all their sides. :confused:

But you do know the background don't you Omni - no home game scheduled for the first 4 rounds of the season (plus the easter break made 5 weeks) if this game was not moved from the June long weekend. And the Riddell club agreed to it so one would assume they did liaise with their players.

I understand your point but you can't please everyone. And even if you went to the game, you could still travel Friday night and have 3 full days away. Enjoy your weekend!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back